What's so bad about Far Cry 2?

Cockney_Jesus

Feb 18, 2009
It looks pretty good from videos etc. but everyone's saying it's horrible? It's pretty cheap now so I'm wondering what exactly is so bad about it?

One of my friends loves it and says it's 'a combination of GTA and COD'...so a free roaming game in a warzone setting?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Boring, unintersting plot and setting, lame hero.

Couldn't play for more than an hour.

Monkeytacoz

Sep 22, 2009
other than the annoying respawning enemies, glitch i got where i can't do any more missions, annoying realism where you have to pull a bullet out of your leg in the middle of fight or you die, no gun repairs............. not much

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The bugs.

Far Cry 2 would be a fantastic game, if it worked. For so many players (this one included) it's ruined by the enormous number of crashes, glitches and game ending bugs.

By far the worst is the one that breaks your save if you save at 67%, that one has happened to me.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I personally really enjoyed the game.
Not everyone did.

The problems come from the fact that enemies respawn very quickly. So you're driving across the the plains, you come to a guard post full of guards, you clear them all out, you drive on through, you come back 1 minute later (Or sooner) and BAAM! They are all back again. Just like that.

Random patrols on the roads also prove to be annoying.
Enemies can see you and hit you across great distances and through brush.
Your guns can jam (A feature I actually enjoyed).
The game world is big, and there is a lot of driving you'll have to do.

Over all, like I said, I enjoyed the game. I got it fairly cheap, played it, beat it, and enjoyed it.
Multiplayer sucks, though.

You_have_a_name

Feb 25, 2009
well its one of my favourite games but im the only person i know who even likes it at all so the chances are most people wont like it

the glitches are really irratating i got over 80% through it twice and the game ending glitch ended the story for me, but i think a patch came out because ive completed it now and im going back through it to collect all the diamonds:)

although i think i may be the only person who likes it:(

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
I hate it, can't fucking progress half the time cause it's night and no ones out at night (so i have to drive to the nearest safe house and sleep for time to progress). Guns jam all the time, driveing is annonying as hell since there is no minimap so you have to pull up a small map while driveing, your character is a total pussy who gets saved by the dude he was supposed to kill, no fucking super powers (no feral speed, feral attack, feral vision) boreing story,

I could go on, the game just rubbed me the wrong way... and took 60 of my dollars.

DAMN YOU UBISOFT, DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Generic faceless characters, boring story, stupid and often broken side quests (NPC's killing themselves and the game blaming you etc), waaaay too much wandering around, endlessly respawning enemies, minimap is ASS, etc etc etc. It really is a trainwreck of a "sandbox" game.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I like it, but it certainly has some glaring issues:

Most noticeably: The missions - they are incredibly repetitive, meaningless and do nothing to advance the plot. Your supposed to be playing politics or something equally boring, but that's not the case as all the missions are variants on "shoot this". The game actually suffers from it's huge world as the designers obviously couldn't think of ways to utilize it - travelling half-way across the map just to shoot a certain barrel the game tells me is vital oil is not satisfying...

The story: The story lacks focus - you have no real over-arching aim. For one, your originally supposed to kill the Jackal, yet that never materializes - any plot twists (there were a couple I did like) are quickly forgotten and the more linear action sections (possibly the best part of the game) are forgettable in comparison to action-orientated shooters like Call of Duty.

The weapons: The guns themselves are fine, but they constantly jam (as in every other reload) and in order to buy weapons you have to trek miles through the wildness. Not to mention the pretty poor A.I and ridiculous number of bullets it takes to kill someone regardless of difficulty.

I also want to touch more on the A.I - they constantly respawn as soon as you pass a set point - this can get annoying if you've just taken out a group, drive for a minute or so before realizing you took the wrong turn - you'll then drive back to the area you killed that group off enemies to find they'd respawned...

For me personally the problem comes from the fact the game tries to hard to be realistic, whilst maintaining an obvious set of core mechanics. As such it ventures into the uncanny valley and that can kill immersion to a large degree.

Having said that, the setting is brilliant - the island looks gorgeous and there are a number of noticeable landmarks. Your map is handy and the game is very immersive due to these elements. It also comes with a powerful level creator, even on consoles that has been it's saving grace in the multi-player area. Just go in with the right mind-set (it's not CoD) and you'll have fun.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Don't think of it as a warzone. It's really not very accurate. The simple fact is it's world vs player, and not a lot else. Constant waves upon waves of enemies everywhere you go with perfect aim so you kind of HAVE to kill everyone in the country.

The game is fun. Ish. It often seems like a second job when you have to go to X area 50km away, shoot 20 guys and then return to the quest giver. It's a mumorpuger! (This doesn't happen very often, don't worry)

I say try it. It's certainly worthwhile to give it a go. Either you'll be one of the many who enjoyed it for a while then quit when it became a repetitive grind, or you'll love it and blast through the lot.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
The worst thing about the game is that it hides behind its graphic. The problem is you don't feel like its an "open world game" or such. ALL factions are always against you. All missions are pretty much the same. Characters get introduced but are boring and not used right. The story is "bleh"

The whole experience infuriates the gamer (well, me at least). So that when i was a few hours in, i just equiped myself with small grenadelauncher, big grenadelauncher, mortar and greanades and went completely berserk. And the worst park: They don't stop i killed literally hundreds of people... but if you move twohundred meters down the road and come back: BAM they all respawned... and like i said: ALL are against you, even if you work for them.

The game actively punishes you for exploring (and yeah that's cool... map is beautiful).

Oh and the multiplayer.. grrrrah... it's like playing on a console. Bad serverbrowser, and i didn't keep track, but i don't think there much people still playing.

Well, for 10 bucks... one-two hours it is ok. But it becomes tedious and boring fast. (4/10)

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
The massive distances between locations and the lack of vehicles meant a lot of boring and repetitive travelling

Finding all the stupid diamonds was so annoying, they were everywhere and there was no consistency with where they might be

The stupid weapons that jam were so annoying, I would buy a new gun and it would blow up in my face

Ridiculously boring story. I stopped paying attention after about 5 hours and it was just annoying

Finally the glitches. I found constantly snipers in rocks that I couldn't kill, areas that I could go into because all the enemies were elsewhere or it didn't register them dying

It is a fun game, by no means is it unplayable but it does have it's flaws so take it with a pinch of salt
Plus it is so beautiful and the guns fights are so intense it's a lot of fun

Lycaeus_Wrex

Jan 19, 2009
Where to begin....

Terrible plot, uninteresting antagonist, horrible voice acting, uninspired weapons, the list goes on. One of the BIGGEST faults, however, was it's claim to be an open-world shooter. This is fine until you realize that you can only ever drive on roads, and 90% of those roads are blocked on both sides by impassable mountains.

Enemies respawn ridiculously quickly, are boring to fight, shoot you from a mile away and never, ever give up chasing you. Also; they are immediately aggressive, which is just odd considering the game puts you as an 'outsider'. Having to dig shrapnel out of yourself to prevent death is also bloody annoying. As is having to find malaria pills to also prevent random dying.

The buddy system, whilst having the potential to be very interesting, is completely devoid of anything substantial and could be completely omitted without it affecting the gameplay one bit.

The less said about the ending the better.

And to top it all off, there are the aforementioned colonies of bugs that inhabit the game.

Absolutely dreadful game. I've never quite forgiven PC Gamer UK for giving it a 94% score, when it should really have been down in the 45-50% range.

L. Wrex

PS I dd TRY and play this game; I installed it and ground through 3 hours of it before I finally gave up and purged this horrific piece of software off of my hard drive. Worst game of 2008.

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
1.Respawning guard posts. They should have respawned after a day or so. You massacre them all, drive 30 seconds towards the opposite direction of the guard post, drive back and they're in the same place.

2.The fact that a faction will attack you, even if you're doing a mission for THEM. And don't give me that "top secret" bullsh*t. Last time I checked, blowing tankers to kingdom come isn't "top secret". I suppose the leaders of the factions are OK with me killing their fighters.

3. You don't say a single word throughout the game and you still manage to have friends. Once again, the developers are too lazy to hire a decent voice actor. Standing around like a mute retard while the other guy is having a normal conversation with you doesn't add to the immersion.

4. Too much traveling. It wouldn't be so bad, if it wasn't for the BULLSH*T GUARD POSTS AND PATROLS.

5. No variety in missions or in the storyline. Blow stuff up or do it stealthy, you'll still get the same result. And the choice options (who to kill or not to kill) show up only at the very end of the game.

6. You buy a brand new AK, fire three clips and it jams.

7. The enemies are made of kevlar. I shot a shirtless guy three times in the waist, in the shoulders, in the knee, in the neck and he still didn't go down. The developers have no idea what a gun does to a man. It's freakin' amusing to shoot someone in the chest with a Desert Eagle and see him still firing at you.

8. The weapon convoy missions are f*cking hilarious, you fire an RPG at them, miss and they still keep driving in a circle and you can wait for them in the same spot and try again.

9. Civil war? Bullsh*t. More like "everyone with something that can be used as a weapon vs you". You feel like a Twilight hater surrounded by Twilight fangirls. And they have guns.

And I still managed to enjoy this game.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
It's an Ok game to me, they did some things well, some things badly

Good
Combat, it's realistic, the fire is a cool environmental feature and the guns force you to think

Bad
Repetitive missions
Too little scripted events
Didn't tell the story properly
Doesn't let you enjoy Africa like GTA did with New York. The enemies shoot you no matter which faction you're working on, there's no sense of progress in gaining trust etc.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
It's incredibly dull and repetitive. You don't really find yourself caring about any of it really.

Kif

Jun 2, 2009
Well, it was riddled with unsolved problems on the PC which having scouted their forums I decided were never going to be resolved as such whenever I played it there was a high chance it would crash to desk top. So that was annoying.

Aside from that the time I did spend playing it I found to be incredibly repetative (mostly travelling through checkpoints) and uninspired, I couldn't say for sure whether what I was doing were main quest related or side quest.

Regardless, I put it down forever when I reached a game stopping bug twice with a door that wouldn't open and I couldn't be arsed to try and find a save where the bug didn't happen.

Visually though, it was pretty I'll give it that.