What's something you've wanted to do your whole life?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Binnsyboy said:
Fappy said:
Binnsyboy said:
Fappy said:
Binnsyboy said:
Fappy said:
Write some awesome piece of fiction that will see a global audience!
There's a screenplay I want to write, set in a mental ward. To prepare for that, I actually want to try to replicate Rosenhan's 'Sane in Insane Places' experiment, where I pose as someone with depression to be accepted into a mental institution, and then act as my normal self, and see if they realize I'm not mentally unstable. Failing that, I act the symptoms of recovery to see myself released.

Should be a riot.
That is some dedication right there! For prose the more research the better. Though my prose is decent, I have long since abandoned any thoughts of writing novels. I figured if I don't read them why would I write them? I'm more geared towards comic book writing, which as it turns out, I know a lot about. I think I am pretty safe with the "write what you know" rule in that regard.
Well, I've started writing a novel (it's on an indefinite hiatus right now) that I intend to work my arse off to see published.

I don't want the sum total of my literary accomplishment to be some crappy little folklore book.
Writing is much more difficult to do on your own simply because you lack any kind of oversight (barring accomplished writers who have deals with publishers). Motivation is the #1 hurdle for writers to overcome. I remember telling myself I would write a book over the course of my college career. Got two chapters in.

D:
Believe me, I know, but right now, I'm still working on building up my body for the Royal Marines. Once I've made enough headway and have a routine firmly in place, then I'll get back to my writing.
Yeah, having a full-time job really doesn't leave a lot of time to engage in creative endeavors when all you want to do with your limited spare time is lie down and play video games >.>

For some insane reason I decided that now would be the best time to really start working on my stuff. College was too fun I guess.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
Binnsyboy said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Binnsyboy said:
Fappy said:
Binnsyboy said:
Fappy said:
There's a screenplay I want to write, set in a mental ward. To prepare for that, I actually want to try to replicate Rosenhan's 'Sane in Insane Places' experiment, where I pose as someone with depression to be accepted into a mental institution, and then act as my normal self, and see if they realize I'm not mentally unstable. Failing that, I act the symptoms of recovery to see myself released.

Should be a riot.
That is some dedication right there! For prose the more research the better. Though my prose is decent, I have long since abandoned any thoughts of writing novels. I figured if I don't read them why would I write them? I'm more geared towards comic book writing, which as it turns out, I know a lot about. I think I am pretty safe with the "write what you know" rule in that regard.
Well, I've started writing a novel (it's on an indefinite hiatus right now) that I intend to work my arse off to see published.

I don't want the sum total of my literary accomplishment to be some crappy little folklore book.
This actually sounds like quite a good novel, is there any way I could have a read? It's fine if you don't want to.
The novel isn't the mental ward thing, it's something else. The mental ward idea is for a film screenplay. I don't plan on doing that for a while yet.
Ahh alright. I always like stories about mental wards and such, don't know why. May I ask what the novel's about?
Well, I don't really like giving details out about it, but what I could tell you without worry is that it's set in a world where God and angels and all that jazz are real in a very corporeal sense (though the world is as it is, they're not public or anything)

I am an atheist, though. I'm just not a hate spewing freak of nature.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Rastien said:
Enough cash to live a life comfortable for me, a job that i don't despise going to and someone to share it with.

I am a simple bastard at heart :p but really what more could anyone want from life ^^.
took the words right out of my mouth my friend.

but as for something specific? skydiving, to get over my fear of heights, but it wont happen anytime soon because of my fear of heights, and lack of funds.

also,travel across the entirety of the continental US, via passenger train and car/bus, and taste the best of the food available. hey, im a man of simple
tastes

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
Stand up and masturbate furiously on a plane.

Then sit down and act like nothing happened.

Bonus points if other people join in because they think the planes going down.
In a similar vein, joining the mile high club sounds fun.

Shame those fun wreckers are making it harder MORE DIFFICULT!

Pifflestick

Jun 10, 2008
Be able to support myself comfortably while having enough left over to help out my family and friends as much as possible. That's something I've wanted to do my whole life, and damnit I'm working towards that goal.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Queen Michael said:
Read thousands of manga books.

Go into a restaurant and order one of those huge hamburgers that you can't fit in your mouth and then eat it and then order another one and then eat the other one.

Get a girlfriend with glasses, hair dyed some unnatural color, F-cup breasts and a love for manga, and also have sex with her.

Get a cool girl as a best friend.

Read Don Quixote, and also Hamlet, and also The Journey to the West.

Make an annoying stranger shut up with a really snappy answer.

I've done all of these. Yay me!
The dreams of an awesome guy.

Dragonclaw

Dec 24, 2007
Binnsyboy said:
Abandon4093 said:

There's actually a company here that lets you rent a 2 hour flight on a private plane with the passenger area set up like a bedroom for just that purpose...granted there isn't the risk factor...but I have joined the mile high club.

capcha COME WHAT MAY...wow...

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Dragonclaw said:
Binnsyboy said:
Abandon4093 said:

There's actually a company here that lets you rent a 2 hour flight on a private plane with the passenger area set up like a bedroom for just that purpose...granted there isn't the risk factor...but I have joined the mile high club.

capcha COME WHAT MAY...wow...
Fair enough. I'll have to try that. Closest I've been able to come up with would be to go on an overnight flight and finger her under a blanket, but I doubt that would count xD

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Binnsyboy said:
Fappy said:
Binnsyboy said:
Fappy said:

Should be a riot.

In a similar fashion to all you guys I have always wanted to have my art go world wide become something that means something to more people than simply myself. I am getting close I am working on a game that I want to have published on steam etc.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I Have No Idea said:
That something can really be anything: a vacation, a career, an experience, anything. For me, it hasn't been for my whole life, but I have had this dream trip in my head for about three years ever since I read Shift by Jennifer Bradbury (a fantastic book by the way, I highly recommend it). After reading that book I've really wanted to go on a biking trip across the country (United States) with a friend. I live on the East Coast, and i haven't really been to many other states, much less out west. I just want to go out and see the country I'm living in, you know?
Let me tell you a cool story related to cycling in the americas. When my family lived in costa rica, my dad owned an adventuring company with a friend. This friend was called Mike. Mike was originally Canadian, and as a loving son, liked to go back to his parents every now and then. He was also what the kids now call 'beast'. The man had legs like a tractor, and every now and then the itch to mistreat his body in an impossible feat of endurance and strength coincided with his longing for glorious Canada. When this happened he just took his bike(yes) and biked the hell back home. After having recovered there, he cycled back! The man was absolutely bonkers, but if he had been lighter he should have been in the tour the france.

rawrmonsta said:
Get married? Might be an odd pick for most men but being part of a functional lifelong marriage would be what Id like most.

Sadly the way society is right now leaves me very pessimistic about my chances of that actually happening.
Man, society has nothing to do with that? Surely you could find someone regardless wether society is buggered?

IrishBerserker

Oct 6, 2009
This may sound really, really, REALLY fucking stupid, but I've always wanted to fight an kill a bear in one-on-one combat.

I also want die in a way that will make people remember me, like dieing while holding off an entire attacking enemy battalion single-handed.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
rawrmonsta said:
Get married? Might be an odd pick for most men but being part of a functional lifelong marriage would be what Id like most.

Sadly the way society is right now leaves me very pessimistic about my chances of that actually happening.
Same here. It really is pretty sad when statistics say 80%(IIRC) of married couples are likely to divorce. Even if you get married, the likely of staying together seems slim. Many if not most of my school friend's parents are divorced. If you're going to get married and have a kid, at least stay married long enough for that kid to become an adult before you let your marriage, and your child's family break apart right in front of them.
But yeah, with the way things are going, I can easily see that statistic jumping into the mid-90s. We will all be single lonely as Grand parents and will have resort to elderly people meet web services so we don't die alone. :(