Whats the appeal of Sonic the hedgehog?

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
He was Mario, but faster, sharper, and given a coat of Day-Glo neon paint. He was the hip, cool, edgy alternative to boring ol' "play it safe" Nintendo. He wasn't afraid to "go there". Basically, he was everything we thought was cool in the 90's, and we ate it up, because deep in our hearts, we all knew the truth; Sega does what Nintendon't.

Nifty said:
You had to be there, man.
I agree with this, it's hard to explain if you weren't really around for it.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
I think Sonic is a pretty cool guy
eh runs fast and doesn't afraid of anything.

Anyway, explaining the appeal of Sonic the Hedgehog is like explaining the appeal of Super Mario Bros.. It was fun, easy to learn, hard to master, great music, great controls; all in all an excellent platformer when platformers were the preeminent gaming genre.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
The speed, the attitude, big sprawling levels, awesome music, some awesome over the top stuff.

Sure they lost that charm but yeah it's the cartridges that are badass.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Worgen said:
Naked_Snake said:
Yeah, back in the day Sonic had the best graphics and tightest control of any of the available platformers, his games made Mario look like an unwieldy tank.
really? I always thought mario handled much better, especially at low speed sonic just was sluggish as hell, but even at high speed allot of the sonic games seemed like memorization since you would be running at full speed and suddenly SPIKES or an enemy would be in your way.
I guess you need tighter reflexes, then, as I thought it controlled great. Also, trying to get SuperSonic was maddening and fun.

Happy 3000th post by the way.
or better memorization, but I remember how sluggish sonic was when he was turning and running at slow speed, altho I do remember the sound tracks to his games, they are the only part of them that really stand out as above and beyond to me
oh hey, I do have 3k posts

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Sonic back in the day was good looking, fast, had fun level-design, and had a wonderful soundtrack.

SONIC BOOM!

SonOfStayPuft

Sep 21, 2010
LogicNProportion said:
Sonic back in the day was good looking, fast, had fun level-design, and had a wonderful soundtrack.

SONIC BOOM!
And he wasn't that Stupid Werehog too :)

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Worgen said:
Naked_Snake said:
Yeah, back in the day Sonic had the best graphics and tightest control of any of the available platformers, his games made Mario look like an unwieldy tank.
really? I always thought mario handled much better, especially at low speed sonic just was sluggish as hell, but even at high speed allot of the sonic games seemed like memorization since you would be running at full speed and suddenly SPIKES or an enemy would be in your way.
That's largely what every classic platformer was like. You memorised how to do the level and then you did it. And in the meantime you died. A lot. Go and watch some Until We Win videos and notice how much the point about pattern and level memorisation is stressed. That's how you played old school platform games.

In an old school Sonic game when you did that and got it all right you got a fast fluid run through the level that made you look clever and hard.

The newer games really haven't managed to match the available control precision to the environments they made you navigate, so when you do the dying a lot part, because Sonic games are still about memorisation in order to get higher scores and faster times, it feels like the game is gypping you.

Mythbhavd

May 1, 2008
It was the music, the speed of play, and the graphics that really caught people up in the Sonic mania.

SMILEYkyle21

Feb 2, 2009
Nostalgia, reminds me of being a kid when the world was new and exciting :p
plus its easily my fav platformer of all time

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Iwata said:
Every-day tracksuits were NEVER a great idea.
The Happy Mondays, however...

Scrumpmonkey said:
True-dat.

(yes im trying the phrase out, shush!)
I'd avoid it, if I were you. It doesn't work so well written down :p

Worgen said:
just what the title says. Im not talking about the newer games, I mean the original ones.
I dunno, I never got into them. Then again, I mostly suck at platformers, so having a hyper-fast one didn't help matters...

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Sonic just did something that hadn't been done before.

You can always tell that metroid fans started gaming with the NES and Super Mario Bros, and they were simply floored by the ability to go left instead of right. With Sonic it was similar - you could go fast. One thing that you couldn't do before can be rather mind blowing, so you end up totally hooked. Someone comes along much later and wonders what all the fuss is about.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
So... This is ultimately a sign that I should get Sonic I or II on my iPod for $2.00?
That's... kinda creepy, actually. I was just looking at Sega's sale in the App store.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Fun games, good music, it was just awesome.
You had to be a kid in the early 90s I guess...
Yay me.
Plus SatAM. And the comic.

Naked_Snake

Jul 29, 2010
Worgen said:
lacktheknack said:
Worgen said:
Naked_Snake said:
I guess you need tighter reflexes, then, as I thought it controlled great. Also, trying to get SuperSonic was maddening and fun.

Happy 3000th post by the way.
or better memorization, but I remember how sluggish sonic was when he was turning and running at slow speed, altho I do remember the sound tracks to his games, they are the only part of them that really stand out as above and beyond to me
oh hey, I do have 3k posts
You weren't supposed to have to stop and turn around, and if you did and didn't use the dash attack you were asking for it.