Whats the best and worst Assassins creed game?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Assassins creed is todays one of the most popular franchise but at the same time most stale and generic franchise too. now here in this thread we talk about best and worst game in series.

To me the best one is easily AC4 black flag. by miracle that it turn out great. game has great graphics, naval battle, edward is best protagonist in AC series, excellent soundtracks, good story etc. it was released during the time when AC series become stale and release after people dissapointed by AC3.

Worst is.. well all of them are equally bad. but syndicate takes the cake. syndicate is by far worst game in series. absolutely terrible. boring setting, plus story and characters, you cant fall down to the building, terrible combat. 2 protagonist who are absolutely suck especially they put a female protagonist to apeal feminist because unity was heavily criticize year before when they show a coop.

I found AC2 also pretty mediocre too but compare to other games in series not name black flag. its better than all.

so anyways what are the best and worst in your opinion? discuss

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I thought 2 and 4 were the best. 2 had Ezio's revenge story, and is still the only game in history where you get to fistfight the pope in the Sistine Chapel as a final boss fight.

As for 4, it's the Pirate game I wish Sid Meyer's Pirates! was. I just wish there weren't any tailing/eavesdropping missions, which apparently are in there because to make the game perfect would offend God or something.

Least favorite games? I've heard Unity was pretty awful. 3 was good in some parts and pretty bad in others. Rogue felt like a reskin of black flag but less compelling(and the premise was wasted).

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
(Note, I've only played up to Black Flag, none after that).
See, I never liked Black Flag. I just don't see how adding a worse version of the sailing from 3 while not fixing any of the actual problems with the ASSASSIN part of Assassins Creed led to so many people enjoying it so much more than the others, especially when Edward Kenway comes across as a self interested prick (who isn't even really an assassin) with a story like that is ridiculous even for AC standards.
My favourite would probably be Brotherhood, we're still with Elio, it introduces the Assassin building stuff which I wish they'd done more with, and a reasonable story (and while massively ahistorical, I did like the little side quests about Leonardo's inventions).
The worst for me was probably AC3. A thoroughly unlikeable protagonist who mostly fucked up all he tried to do, a story that comes off as unflattering at best towards the revolutionaries but seems to still expect you to be on their side, Villains who I simply agreed with more and mechanics that at the time really needed changing up (I think AC3 got really bad with it's annoyingly restrictive mandatory stealth). I still remember how frustrated I got in one of the final segments where you're chasing a templar and even though I was easily catching up to him, I just had to keep following him until you reached the specific scripted stop he was leading you to.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
They're all the same game, distinguished only by map assets and varying amounts of utterly pointless busywork on which millions of people will regret spending precious hours of their limited lives as they lay on their deathbeds.

I find myself remembering the first game the fondest. Probably only because back then the traversal and climbing animation was astounding for its time and being able to scale everything was new and awesome. Also, it had the highest proportion of actual fucking assassinating. I remember people complained, and rightly so, about the stupid in-between missions where you eavesdrop or pickpocket. If only they'd known of the dizzying array of non-assassination tedium that was to come.

Never understood why AC4 was supposed to be good. The ship stuff got boring after about five battles and showed no signs of evolving, the regular combat had somehow got even worse, there was no shortage of the usual tired AC garbage on display and the only things I can remember about Edward are his name and that his face looked like a mildly possessed doll. I hit a scripting bug where that one rather svelte pirate who I'm pretty sure was a chick in disguise kept hanging from a ledge and blocking me from proceeding and decided that was enough of an excuse to cut my losses and go spend my time on other, less shitty games.

I can hardly believe I'm saying this, but I actually somewhat agree about Eve in AC:S. It became increasingly obvious that they'd added her in halfway through development in reaction to the grumbling about AC:U. All the actual story missions were exclusive to Jacob while Eve got her own missions and her own villain almost entirely incidental to the main plot (such as it was).

Shame really. I kind of liked the core idea and dynamic of being able to switch between two sibling protagonists. Could have been good. Then again, in order to be remotely worthwhile it would have had to have been in a game not titled Assassin's Creed.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Best I've played would be Black Flag. I rather like the sailing and ship-to-ship combat, even if it is somewhat simplistic. The worst would be the original AC, because while the climbing mechanic was amazing for the time, and coming across historical locations and buildings I've actually visited irl was fun, the story and characters completely failed to grab me and the core gameplay didn't appeal enough to want to sit through it all.

Mind you, those two and AC2 are the only ones I've played.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Zhukov said:
Never understood why AC4 was supposed to be good. The ship stuff got boring after about five battles and showed no signs of evolving, the regular combat had somehow got even worse, there was no shortage of the usual tired AC garbage on display and the only things I can remember about Edward are his name and that his face looked like a mildly possessed doll. I hit a scripting bug where that one rather svelte pirate who I'm pretty sure was a chick in disguise kept hanging from a ledge and blocking me from proceeding and decided that was enough of an excuse to cut my losses and go spend my time on other, less shitty games.
because its only good game in series. naval battle is actually challanging and fun compare to anyother thing this franchise has done. further more edward kenway is best protagonist in series by far. ezio is incredibly overrated.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Zhukov said:
The ship stuff got boring after about five battles and showed no signs of evolving
This is just your opinion. In my case, I couldn't get enough of naval battles. I would sail and engage in naval battles for hours with glee. It was really satisfying.

OT: I like the entire Ezio trilogy and Black Flag the best. I treat the Ezio trilogy like a single game, because of the story. It's a continuous experience. And they're too similar, for better or worse.

The worst one is probably the first one since it's really tedious with some really annoying game design choices. First game was essentially a tech demo. Every other title in the series is more enjoyable than the first.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The first one. No, I'm serious. It was by far the one that actually stuck to its core concepts and the actual assassination encounters (even though the methods to unlock them were inane) are the best in the series, being more open-ended and not just a series of instructions given to you.

The other main contenders are Black Flag, which isn't even an Assassins Creed game beyond the need to jam the brand on it. The second one might be, except it literally released with 3 chapters cut out of the middle of the game for DLC.

2 would also provide the genesis of the series kind of wayward wobble away from its core with the estate sub-activity. Which spiralled into full blown real estate mogul in Brotherhood. Which spiralled into I forget how many varieties of random management sim stuff was in Revelations. 3 was kind of weird because your little village was more engaging and interesting then the silly history museum tour plotline, but of course, its meant to be an Assassinating stuff game, not SimColonial.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I would say Ass Creed IV: Black Flag was the best, but it?s not an Ass Creed game; it?s an awesome pirate game with Ass Creed smeared all over it like runny dog shit, so the best Ass Creed has to be the first one, when the idea was fresh, new and actually different from everything else. The worst is every one since because they?re the same fucking thing, all equally terrible.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Seth Carter said:
The first one. No, I'm serious. It was by far the one that actually stuck to its core concepts and the actual assassination encounters (even though the methods to unlock them were inane) are the best in the series, being more open-ended and not just a series of instructions given to you.
Agreed. The first one has this brilliant, borderline Shadow of the Colossus like structure where everything is folded into eliminating these specific targets and learning about how they fit into the overarching conflict and moral/philosophical debate as you go. Later entries made some great improvements to the moment-to-moment playability but they would have benefited a lot from the originals laser focus. Most of the non-story content feels like it's just taking up space and the stories started suffering when they lost the pacing to keep the momentum going and didn't have the room to ask as interesting questions.

That's one of the reasons why I also loved Revelations. It's really easy to ignore the fluffy side-stuff and just focus on the story missions. The unintended benefit of being the game they did to take up space until 3 came out, it ends up feeling like a surprisingly small, personal story that's more about Ezio trying to understand who he is and what his life has actually meant then "Well, Templars found another ancient superweapon. Must be Tuesday." It does a really great job of weaving Ezio and Altair together and giving both of them a really fitting conclusion.

So far I'm cautiously optimistic about Origins but I wouldn't say it's the direction I would have taken the series. Hopefully actually just being an action RPG will lend a bit more context to the side activities and help them feel a bit less time wasting. But it's hard for me not to feel like it's a solution to something that shouldn't have been a problem in the first place if they'd just stuck to polishing the rough edges of the perfect idea they'd had the first time.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
Two is the best, Three is by far the worst. Four, Rogue and Revelations are all tied for second for me. The rest are ok games with nice parts and bad parts.

Note: I haven't played any of the portable ones, but I can't imagine them being anything stellar.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Black Flag, 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, Rogue, 3, Unity, 1, Syndicate

Im glad they took a break after Syndicate. Huge wasted opportunity. Syndicate was basically the ultimate "Ubisoft game", and the fact that Unity - a game that was trashed by everyone for being a buggy mess - is better than Syndicate goes to show how badly they fucked up the game. It not bad, per se, just a waste.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
They all bore me to some extent after a while, so I can't pick a worst. 2 is the best of them.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Saelune said:
Best is 2 and worst is whichever killed off Desmond.
That would be AC3, and that was exactly the point in which Assassin's Creed stopped trying to have some form of overarching plot.

Look, I didn't like Desmond, like, not one bit, but without something to link the modern day stuff togethether, the modern day stuff is even more of a drag than it was before.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Laggyteabag said:
Saelune said:
Best is 2 and worst is whichever killed off Desmond.
That would be AC3, and that was exactly the point in which Assassin's Creed stopped trying to have some form of overarching plot.

Look, I didn't like Desmond, like, not one bit, but without something to link the modern day stuff togethether, the modern day stuff is even more of a drag than it was before.
I remember playing through 2 and then Brotherhood and it clearly is setting up Desmond to learn to become the Master Assassin that Altair and Ezio were so he could Assassin all over Abstergo.

I wish I could find it but I do remember that Ubisoft somewhere basically said "We didnt know how to implement modern guns" for why they didnt go with AC set in the modern day (of the setting).

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Seth Carter said:
Totally agree. AC1 was sorta Hitman-lite in its structure and the hits were memorable. I really wish the series kept going in that direction instead of just becoming GTA structurally in AC2. Although Dishonored came around and is basically what AC should be. Imagine being able to break into a Templar's house and then exposing some dirt on them lowering public opinion, which means he has to expose himself utilizing his Piece of Eden to get the public back in his favor. Of course, that opens it up to straight up kill him. You could even pay his right-hand-man to steal his Piece of Eden. There's much you can do with Assassin's Creed gameplay-wise, and it's so waste.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Best: 2 and 4 (though the set ups and planning in 1 was more involved and fun).

Worst: 3. Just broken and glitchy fighting and literally no point to the convoluted trading system.

I sort of stopped after 4. The series had some intrigue with the global ancient conspiracy stuff but seems like Ubisoft had no real idea what they wanted to do with it and that plot became too meandering to hold my interest.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Has anyone really played all of them? Stop feeding the beast!

To my knowledge 2 and 4 are the best. I couldn't finish the 1st one as it was so utterly godawful, and Altair was just the complete worst. Quite liked Ezio as a protagonist, he was more fleshed out than the average open world player character.

While the climbing was a bit clunky, I'd even say The Saboteur is a better Assassin's Creed than most -actual- Assassin's Creed games.

Feb 26, 2014
For the best, I'm torn between the first and Black Flag.

My reason for liking the first game has already been mentioned by others. The first game was pretty straightforward. Your an Assassin. Go Assassinate these guys. NEVERMIND WHY! It actually reminded me of Megaman with the way it rewarded players with a new upgrade after each kill.

AC4 I like, but not because of it's assassin bits. Those bits were boring and unnecessary. No, I enjoyed being a pirate and conquering the seas, I enjoyed the pirate drama that was playing out, and I enjoyed visiting exotic locations and getting into bar fights. I enjoyed it so much I was actually excited to see the Skull and Bones presentation at E3. My excitment didn't last long, though.

Worst: Unity. Unity had an awfully boring story and introduced rpg elements to AC, something Origin is sadly embracing wholeheartedly. And, though it did introduce some nifty customization options, the animations were kind of janky, the city was boring, and the missions dull. I consider Syndicate to be the better of the two games.