What's the best way to combat a troop of Spartans?

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
Trap them in an unsolvable maze. After all, "Spartans aren't killed, there just missing in action."

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
Gitsnik said:
Using period weaponry, and thus keeping with the theme of course, I would be using three units of archers on the open field. First unit does long shots - death from above - whilst the second unit fires low and straight. Split the third archers into fire teams and flank them to get at the exposed soft-chewy centre for some headshots where possible.

Basically the same tactic I would use for any melee combat wombats.
Not a bad idea, but spartan shields are big enough that they could form a decent shield wall from all sides; top, front, and flanks. I choose: Archemedes. He figured out, among other things, how to build a catapault, making the armour they wear next to useless.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Rutskarn said:
Akalistos said:
murlo360 said:
hmmmm....I GIANT MAGNET ! and a trash compactor
Their tactic is the shield wall. They use the shield to made a impervious wall around them. They make sure you can break through their defense. The best way would be to hit multiple side at once, weakening their defense and or a nice surprise attack with a bunch of archers.
Alternately, get five guys with light support weapons. Ones that use bullets.

That shield ain't gonna be much good against a modern machine gun.
Let's go with Doc. Brown in his Dolorean to see if you can spot one in the 400 bc. If not, I'll force you to watch MEET THE SPARTAN for all eternity!

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
Well, guns, first of all, and secondly, because I'm guessing you mean at the pass at Thermopylae, a single battleship with a cannon or two, or a coupld hunred archers.

Motti

Jan 26, 2009
Are we talking about the spartans from halo or the spartans from ancient greece here? In both cases though the answer is still the same: nuke 'em.

EDIT: although I suppose a bunker buster or artillery would do quite a bit of damage to Spartan-IIs in retrospect.

Apr 25, 2009
Halo Spartans are wussy, but Greek Spartans are kick-ass, they have homosexual sex with each other, and they are STILL manly!

Best way to beat hoplites in general is to shower them in heavy ranged weaponry, or charge them with some pretty damn heavy cavalry. Never go toe-to-toe with them, you will most likely lose.

Bob_Bobbington

Oct 27, 2008
Akalistos said:
Badong said:

Exterminatus. Purge the unclean spartans!
Bah! Mj. Carter made a sun explode, taking a whole galaxy. Just try to top that.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Blackstone_Fortress

Three Blackstone fortresses managed to do that. Now if all 5 were to fire simultaneously

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
A group of thabian oarsmen armed with javelins.

Seriously, a battle-hardened heavy assault squad of Spartans was defeated when they encountered a few thabian oarsmen who had found some javelins.

The Spartans fled.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Flauros said:
a single grenade?
This is much better then my idea, I mean the Spartan-IIs can't seem to survive half a granade, and I don't think that bronze chest plates can defend against modern explosives.

Tourette

Dec 19, 2009
A huge sales tent full of pink spandex and various other girly accessories and a spray tanning booth.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Bob_Bobbington said:
Akalistos said:
Badong said:

Exterminatus. Purge the unclean spartans!
Bah! Mj. Carter made a sun explode, taking a whole galaxy. Just try to top that.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Blackstone_Fortress

Three Blackstone fortresses managed to do that. Now if all 5 were to fire simultaneously
Yeah, you need three fortress to do it. She did it with only a small spaceship and this:

Like i said, try to top that.

Hazzaslagga

Sep 18, 2009
How about with lots of people and attack through a chokepoint. yeh that'll show them cocky spartans.