What's the best way to combat a troop of Spartans?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
xanith02100 said:
Chuck Norris.

/thread
For the 300th time you don't get to declare /thread at the end of your own post.

Its tacky. Also, the answer was so 2006.

Mordreich

Mar 20, 2010
E.M.P. generator, they are cyborgs after all.

edit: oh, actual spartans?... then i'd have to say, "Pocket sand!" Dale Gribble style.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Cavalry archers, the hoplite's true Achilles heel. Hell, some other Greeks managed to beat a troop of Spartans with just javelins and ''running'' out of spear range. Pretty much why the Spartans always took slaves or other Greek allies into battle with them, simple pragmatism.

Alternately, you could do what the Thebans and Macedonians did, and fight with a specialized phalanx formation (angled, that broke the Spartan front line and didn't allow it to reform).

Georgie_Leech said:
Gitsnik said:
Using period weaponry, and thus keeping with the theme of course, I would be using three units of archers on the open field. First unit does long shots - death from above - whilst the second unit fires low and straight. Split the third archers into fire teams and flank them to get at the exposed soft-chewy centre for some headshots where possible.

Basically the same tactic I would use for any melee combat wombats.
Not a bad idea, but spartan shields are big enough that they could form a decent shield wall from all sides; top, front, and flanks.
A problem that can be solved with random chance and enough arrows. If you "blot out the sun" with arrows, no shield wall will stop all of them; people are gonna lose eyes or feet.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Don't fight them in a bottleneck and use guns... what? Halo Spartans? A giant magnet to erase their fake skeletal mesh asses. What... real ones? Stop them from resapwning and then shoot it in the face with a an artillery shell.. or a grenade... or a few shotgun shells... or anything with bullets for an extended period... or it hit it in the back with a sword... or...

Ze_Reaper_Of_Zeath

Feb 20, 2010

NTW-20mm Anti-Material Sniper Rifle, known as the most powerful sniper rifle in the world....

http://www.vincelewis.net/20mm.html

Go to that site if you want to see it's specs, etc...

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Historic spartans, you could murder with most things.

Halo spartans would need something abit more special, like say nukes. Or maybe tanks. Or perhaps nuke tanks.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Bob_Bobbington said:
Akalistos said:
Snippety snip snip
I think you really are underestimating Creed (buy a hell of a lot) but oh well, lets find another horse to beat. Might as well go with a change of universe and pull out the Sun Crusher. Hyperspace into a system, fire 11 resonance torpedoes into the sun and hyperspace out. A no fuss, guaranteed way to destroy a system.
Yet, it big and come with a fanfare. A ... i forgot the name of the space ship design to fit through a stargate and come with a clocking device. Oh yeah, a puddle jumper. If you took that, you would do it without being attack or noticed for massive kills.
Edit: Also, you underestimate the adaptivity of the Replicator. They can even reverse engineer a human body.

Doom moose

Apr 14, 2010
since they are not acustomed to modern tech id just bring a camera and watch them run at the flash and the sight of a Laptop.

Bob_Bobbington

Oct 27, 2008
Akalistos said:
Bob_Bobbington said:
Akalistos said:
Snippety snip snip
I think you really are underestimating Creed (buy a hell of a lot) but oh well, lets find another horse to beat. Might as well go with a change of universe and pull out the Sun Crusher. Hyperspace into a system, fire 11 resonance torpedoes into the sun and hyperspace out. A no fuss, guaranteed way to destroy a system.
Yet, it big and come with a fanfare. A ... i forgot the name of the space ship design to fit through a stargate and come with a clocking device. Oh yeah, a puddle jumper. If you took that, you would do it without being attack or noticed for massive kills.
Um, if by big you mean 13 meters then yes. Also, that was the idea of the sun crusher. To slip in undetected, fire the torpedoes and slip out. No idea what your on about. It also eliminates the need for a stargate and therefore has much more versatility. Also, even if I get found out in the Star Crusher the thing can survive a glancing hit from the Death Star. I don't think I have much to worry about. But one major flaw about using the stargate to get to your target is that you are assuming that the force you are about to destroy a)doesn't know what a stargate is and b) hasn't found that specific one and set up a battalion or 2 around it.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Bob_Bobbington said:
Akalistos said:
Bob_Bobbington said:
Akalistos said:
Snippety snip snip
Um, if by big you mean 13 meters then yes. Also, that was the idea of the sun crusher. To slip in undetected, fire the torpedoes and slip out. No idea what your on about. It also eliminates the need for a stargate and therefore has much more versatility. Also, even if I get found out in the Star Crusher the thing can survive a glancing hit from the Death Star. I don't think I have much to worry about. But one major flaw about using the stargate to get to your target is that you are assuming that the force you are about to destroy a)doesn't know what a stargate is and b) hasn't found that specific one and set up a battalion or 2 around it.
and you forgot about the Ancient weapon. Those thing are stronger than freaking torpedo and are mind-controlled. If it took seven to destroy a sun, it would only take three of those to do it... beside, if it was a rescue mission, the Asgard have already invented a time distorter so they could confine the replicator on a planet till they found a way to destroy them. While the replicator reverse engineer it so time would go faster. They still manage to slow time so that a Second around the machine is a year to the outside worlds. Funny how that would have cut the new Star Treck movie short, isn't it?

Arcanite Ripper

May 1, 2010
Are these the Gerald Butler troop of spartans? If so, a bribe of a meaningful acting career should do...Oooo edgy.

OT: If not, I would combat with an equal-numbered, identically-looking group of unresolvingly-loyal spartans. They wouldn't have much to do against that...

Bob_Bobbington

Oct 27, 2008
Akalistos said:
Bob_Bobbington said:
Akalistos said:
Bob_Bobbington said:
Akalistos said:
Snippety snip snip
and you forgot about the Ancient weapon. Those thing are stronger than freaking torpedo and are mind-controlled. If it took seven to destroy a sun, it would only take three of those to do it... beside, if it was a rescue mission, the Asgard have already invented a time distorter so they could confine the replicator on a planet till they found a way to destroy them. While the replicator reverse engineer it so time would go faster. They still manage to slow time so that a Second around the machine is a year to the outside worlds. Funny how that would have cut the new Star Treck movie short, isn't it?
Wait what? What's Star Trek got to do with this? Also I misread the information about the resonance torpedoes, it only requites one to set the star off and supper-nova but the Sun Crusher can carry 11 of these bad boys. Also, I think your main point in this response was about time distortion? If that's so what exactly does time distortion have to do with it. We're talking about the destruction of a solar system. If you are talking about implementing the time distortion field in this theoretical battle then that may get the upper hand. Although the effects of Hyperspace travel in this setting would have an unknown effect.

keyton777

Aug 14, 2008
lets see, a little sarin gas bomb, quickly followed up by a super flu, topped off with a 30megaton nuke