What's the big deal about PC games?

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
ciortas1 said:
moretimethansense said:
TestECull said:
moretimethansense said:
The former is opinion
....So I suppose you think analog sticks are better for aiming in shooters? I've used both and can honestly tell you they suck for it. Mouse > analog stick for aiming. It's that bloody simple.
Depends on the shooter and again, that is opinion, just because it's your opinion that does not make it fact.
Besides which I never mentiond shooters specificly and neither did you, stop changing the paramaters, it's bad form.
For some reason or another, shooters for consoles tend to be rather slow and have a heavy aim-assist, some times to the point of outright auto-aim (looking at you, RDR). So this is either because the vast majority of the console players suck balls, or because the control scheme sucks. All shooters are guilty of this. Quit this idiotic fucking debate, I've been seeing this going on since page one.
Firstly, I only came in on page seven so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Secondly yes many cosole shooters are slower, but so are many PC shooters of late so I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that there was a huge difference between them, besides most console shooters have an adjustable sensitivty bar (don't bother I already know) it's just the default aiming speed which is so slow, I normally have to turn it up my self.

Thirdly, again yes many shooters on consoles have an aim assist, many of them are also capable of having it turned off, RDR for example I never had it on as it annoyed me.

As for the skill of console gamers, consoles are designed for pick up and playibility, many games are designed with that in mind, other times shooters simply aren't designed with a pad in mind and are either too sensitive, not sensitive enough or have what I call half asleep aiming, where if you move the stick a little it aims slowley, if you move it more it moves to turn you.
Personally I hate it as the slow mode is usually too slow for precision shots on moving targets, the turn mode is too fast for targets above a certain distance.

Finaly, I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT SHOOTERS EXCLUSIVLY! I was talking about gaming in general.
People have preferances, only the opinion of the one using it matters.

xedi

Jan 26, 2011
N.1 Ninja Of 2010 said:
Cons:

Viruses (And even then, all you need to do is whipe your HDD, so the only people affected are the ones that are too lazy to back up their stuff every month)
Depends on your operating system, you do not have to worry about it on Linux, only whether your game is wine compatible :p

My personal most important reason why PC gaming is superior is that you can have higher resolutions. What good is your console hooked up to your gigantic TV screen if the games don't even reach hd ready resolution.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Primarily Steam
I like RTSs AND RPGs
I grew up with it and so to me a gamepad doesn't feel comfortable
I also heard that consoles don't have enough RAM to anti-alias, and I do like my smooth graphics.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
I have a ps3. It came with Killzone2. I cannot shoot anything that moves for longer than 10 seconds in the game.
I also own a pc. I can shoot pretty much anything in sight on my pc.

I have the ps3 for the exclusives/games for consoles. like hack and slash games, and platform games. Pc for the others.

They are different mediums to play on :)

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
TestECull said:
moretimethansense said:
Depends on the shooter and again, that is opinion, just because it's your opinion that does not make it fact.
Besides which I never mentiond shooters specificly and neither did you, stop changing the paramaters, it's bad form.
It's implied. Besides, 360 pads work natively on Windows machines, I've heard of people using PS3 pads, and modern console port games still support at least the 360 pad if not both, so your point is moot anyways.

I actually did a semi-scientific test on this very subject. Check it out [http://www.overclock.net/blogs/testecull/1938-testes-game-review-mkb-vs-joystick.html].

Without using a DOSbox or some other third party software?
Third party software is why backwards compatibility is a given. Microsoft doesn't have to worry about adding it. Gamers will do it themselves.

Well then you've been bloody lucky, a huge number of old games I love either need some persuasion to work, work with minor to severe flaws that weren't there before or simply don't work at all.
EG Medieval Total War (origional) is completly impossible to play on Vista, Shogan is a sod to get working, and Medieval 2 won't work unpatched.
King of the Road's physics were tied to processor speed, so aside from a case of Benny Hill Syndrome, that ran fine. Other than that I haven't had any issues.

I know what your thinking "just patch it!" and I did, but not everyone has the net (shocking I know) and even some that do would simply assume the code was fucked when faced by the garbage screen the unpatche version shows you.
Actually patching it is the last thing I do. I've learned to rely on patches as a last resort for the most part, seeing as every time Windows is patched more shit is broken than gets fixed...and that's assuming anything is fixed at all.
This is getting a bit cluttered so I'll just respond here and if you feel the need to continue just snip everything from here up.

No it's not "implied" You said that PCs were simply better for controls, I stated that was opinion, if shooters were the only genre or this were an FPS gamers exclusive sight you'd have a point but it's not.

Yes you can use 360 pads on the PC, and your point?
That would hardly make their controls "better" would it?
It would make them the same, we are pretty obviously referin g to their native controls ie Keyboard and Mouse vs Pad.

Third party software is NOT a normal part of a PC, without it many games simply would not run, and even them not all games will work even with it.

Again you've been lucky, Total war is just the simplest problem to explain, there are also a number of games that don't work on 7 at all.
I could talk for days about the issues I've had with backwards compatibilty but I'm sure you don't want to hear my petty and not so petty gripes.

Actually I was reffering to the game but I know exactly what you mean, one patch for Spore causes every generated name that comes up to be replaced with BAD_DATA which if you've played you'll know makes it nearly unplayable in the space stage, there's a workaround but I have to ask, how in the fuck do you miss THAT in testing!?

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
kikon9 said:
Just a little thing I want to ask any PC gamers about. What's the appeal in playing on a PC over a console?
Want to know my reason?

Console:
Kiddie game
Shooter
Shooter
Shooter
Shooter
Shooter
Shooter
Shooter
Kiddie game
Shooter
Shooter
Shooter
Racing game

You get the picture. I left console gaming because its the same game every fucking time. I now get much more selection in games than before, and I wouldn't go back even if you paid me.
But virtually all the good casual games are on consoles (coughthewiicough) so your point is kind of null seeing as pretty much all games are either shooters, casual games, sports games or crappy mmos (let my opinion slip in there but let it slide :p)

and I would definitely not say that there is more selection with PC gaming besides with MMOs, and although I can see how people like them, I personally can't stand any of them.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Controls, Userbase Mods, Minecraft, etc.

Also, from my experiences, the communities in multiplayer games tend to be much more sincere.

Jnat

Feb 1, 2010
I like playing bethesda games, and you can't play bethesda games on consoles

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
CaptQuakers said:
I'm not being funny but most of you guys seem to like games on the PC because you can change them. That seems a really weak reason to prefer a Pc

Pc gaming can be good but It had numerous flaws.

1. Graphics issues: You need to fork out nearly 3 times as much to play PC games at the highest level than you would with a console

2. Friends: Pc gaming is no good If you have mates over.

3.Pc gamers general attitude: No offence you guys can be complete and utter cocks and you don't like playing with new players......At all

4.Pc games can be very weird: What do I mean by this. They can crash for no reason whatsoever or they can work fine and then decide they want to make you cry.

5.Sports games: I'm a big sports games fan and PC's are shockingly bad for sports games

6.Pc's may have more games but most of them are truly shocking.

All of these are just things I've come across and I really enjoy PC gaming. However

why does It have to be one or the other why can't we just like both ?. They both have merits and are both as good as each other.

Oh and to people who say all console games are FPS I have an XBOX and I own one FPS.
The first one isn't really true... If you already own a computer, upgrading to a graphics capacity better than that of at least a 360 is doable with under 150 dollars. You have to look a bit, though. I'll admit that it's an annoying to do, upgrade that is. Especially graphics cards, where the numbers don't really mean anything, at least not based on the highest number being the best.

Also, PC gaming can be fine if you have friends over, but that's assuming they have laptops and such... not so easy. Gotta love split screen Halo. I will say I disagree with all PC gamers being cocks who don't like meeting new people. There are some, that's true. Seriously though, what is wrong with people on Xbox Live XP. Half of them are under 13 and a good percentage just loves t-bagging, saying homophobic things, etc. From my experience, people are more mature on the PC, but that may be because it's harder for a get to get one. Still, love both types of gaming. I will say I dislike playing with random people on L4D2. It's so hard to find a team that won't rage quit/try kicking you because they think you suck even though you get first in points every time as the infected/be completely oblivious to whats going on around them. When you do, it rules... then the other team rage quits. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
The keyboard/mouse is tenfold as fluid and precise; much more intense gameplay. And the computer is easily available for other tasks other than wasting time and power for entertainment.

gardyna

Jun 7, 2010
ciortas1 said:
gardyna said:
No, it's not way cheaper. 300-400 bucks will get you a PC that will run anything. And whatever of that you save by buying a console will undeniably be outweighed by PCs' versatility and the cheaper price games usually tend to sell for.

moretimethansense said:
This isn't about you, or anyone else for that matter, appreciating the aesthetic (or other completely preferential) quality of a control scheme. It's about its efficiency, and you fail to understand that it has hardly anything to do with opinion.

And yes, PC shooters do tend to be rather slow as of late, but that could very well be attributed to the fact that almost everything, especially on the shooter front, nowadays is developed console first or has to make some compromises for the system(-s, if you want to be pedantic).
I live in Iceland and a BASIC modern computer at discounted price is around 150.000 while a 250Gig PS3 is 60.000 so over here it's actualy much cheaper (and your chart doesn't add the price of a keyboard and a monitor (i use a laptop and don't have either of those))

and the thing is he asked what the big deal about PC gaming is so of course I told him MY opinion I freaking LOVE my PC (even though it chugs a lot (to unplayable levels) whenever i play something more intesive than Half life 2) so my point of view was that there is no big deal about pc gaming it's just like any other console exept you can do a TON of other things on it too (although console features are getting more and more impresive)

and yes it's all about efficiency and how you enjoy playng your game. I like it simple to the point with a simple easy to use controler and two sticks (besies when I´m playing FPS's then I prefer PC) when asking about something like this it is ALL about EACH persons OPINION it's never so purely straight and simple that one is better than any other (hell I even still play on the NES and that controler is not the most comfortable in the world)

gardyna

Jun 7, 2010
ciortas1 said:
gardyna said:
Oh wow, a PS3 for 60 bucks? If I had the money, I'd get one shipped from Iceland right now. Never heard of that to be honest, the lowest I've seen it been sold for in the UK, for one, was something like 250. But whatever, let's grant that point. Then again, even at that price, if you have Steam and buy games frequently, that alone will save you the money you got in the short term from buying a PS3 in a year or so...

On the mouse thing, again, you can not argue that the controller has nearly as high a potential for speed and accuracy compared to the mouse, you simply can't. You can say which one you like more, but that's it. Don't come in here saying it's all a matter of opinion when it clearly isn't.
XD it sixty THOUSAND kronur which translates to about 512 US Bucks a computer which is one hunred sixty for a basic tower (screen keyboard and mouse not included) which translates to 1.376 us dollars (the prices on PC are INSANE in Iceland)

and yes I agree mouse gives more speed and acuracy (which is why I use PC for FPS's) but when I'm playng anything else (like action games (prince of persia and assassins creed) I feel it's uncomfortable and therefore prefer a stick for any other game and yes PC games on steam are cheaper but i feel that the increadibly inflated price just to get a decent PC does justify my reason (I want to end this by saying that I don't think Consoles are better than PC's nor do i think PC's are better than consoles they both offer their own style and for whatever it's worth the PC will ALWAYS be the most powerful versatile way to play games with a greater more diverse range of games to chose from but the fact is consoles have things they are better at than the PC's (for example lower entry fee(which for a person who buys maybe three games a year is way more important))

Lilbeets

Jan 23, 2009
all i play on the PC is WoW oh and Spore but if I were to choose id definitely choose console gaming I mean yes they are repetitive with the shooters and kiddie games and racing games but every once in a while a really awesome game comes out.

gardyna

Jun 7, 2010
ciortas1 said:
gardyna said:
XD it sixty THOUSAND kronur which translates to about 512 US Bucks a computer which is one hunred sixty for a basic tower (screen keyboard and mouse not included) which translates to 1.376 us dollars (the prices on PC are INSANE in Iceland
Oh. Now I just feel dumb. Thanks for that, asshole!

Well, this whole argument started over FPS games, so glad you seem to agree on that point. No PC gamer in their right mind would argue that mouse and keyboard works better than (or sometimes just as good as) controllers do for fighting, racing or adventure (GoW style) games. The fact that there's always an irrational opposition doing the same for FPS - and sometimes even RTS games, the bloody morons - makes my blood boil every single time this topic comes up. Yes, and thank you for saying that, each platform has its strengths, but they're not bloody well the same on every front and neither can they handle each type of experience equally as well.
we seem to be pretty much on the same page now (thank fuck for that) and i never said they were the same just that they were diffrent and anyone who want to game has got to make a decicion about which to buy couse they realy offer diffrent experiences both with their upp and downs

XD oh damn i completly forgot RTS games. I don't play a lot of them but there is a reason why you don't realy see so many of them on console (it's the worst posible genre to try and put on a console)

P.S. i realy don't apreciate that "asshole" remark (sorry if I'm easily offended but let's try to keep the escapist civilised shall we?)

kikon9

Aug 11, 2010
WOPR said:
A better question would be "What's the Appeal of Console Gaming?" because I've noticed that no matter what console I get I always come back to playing my computer
I should tell you that I've had the exact opposite experience. Whenever I play something on the PC, I've always come back to my console.