What's the game with the most potential for a good movie?

TrollFase

Sep 29, 2012
wolf thing said:
TrollFase said:
I thought The Witcher had alot of potential for a good movie.

That, or maybe Alan Wake. I know it sounds crazy, but Alan Wake was (in my personal opinion) an insanely well designed game, beautifully rendered, and wonderfully written, game. I would love to see a movie adaptation made.

And then they could make American Nightmare as the sequel :)
There has been a witcher movie and a tv show. They came out a while back based off the books, there in polish and were under the name "the hexer" in english and they were not very good, they took to many liberty's with the source material, and had a really cheap feel and look.
That's really freaking depressing to hear...it would've been so easy to give the director rights to someone like Guillermo del Toro and he would make a MASTERPIECE out of it.

That really is a let down.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Mass Effect could be pretty cool. Don't know who would direct it but it would have to be done right.

Bioshock style would be sweeeeet.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Fallout would be good. Personally I'd like to see an Armored Core movie, except that the writers would have to make a plot and a lot of the backstory, not to mention how the pilots look and live, completely from scratch (which I wouldn't trust them to do). I don't know, I just like mechs.

But really...the movie's quality would depend a lot more on the director than the game's potential. Chiefly whether or not Michael Bay is directing it.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
With all of the amazing fan-films floating around, I always thought Half-Life had a lot of potential as a movie. Though I'm not really sure how they would handle Gordon Freeman. Perhaps make it from another character's perspective, a la Opposing Force?

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
A Mass Effect detective story.

No geth, reapers or spectres. No Biotics, no giant wars or human extinction.

Just a good ol' fashioned murder mystery based in the same universe.

Or Fallout.
It would allow for some sweet NCR swag, and common folk might even recognize what it's from.
< wants two-headed bear bumper stickers.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Castlevania would make for a really cinematic experience. Huge, dark, moody and, featuring a shitload of monsters outside of just Dracula. Assuming Universal still has the rights to the classic movie monsters, a Castlevania movie could easily appeal to fans of classic horror films as well as Castlevania fans.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
For those saying Fallout, enjoy:
But otherwise... I'unno, Uncharted? Alright for a decent dumb Indiana Jones type popcorn movie.
I can see Alice: Madness Returns or that franchise in general working well too.
Ninja'd

Yeah, Nuka Break is all kinds of awesome. I'm really looking forward to season 2. I think Fallout is much better suited to a series as opposed to a movie. An average hour and a half film doesn't feel like enough time to really get a feel for the scope of the wasteland. Especially while going through the full amount of exposition that would be required for a feature film.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
I'd say planescape torment would be an interesting movie (not sure if they could fit all of it in one movie, but it'd be interesting). I've seen fallout Nuka Break and I would love to see that sort of thing as a full half-hour to an hour long TV show. As for Dark Souls I don't think the games story would work for a movie but a movie could be set during the backstory for the game. I also would like to see a movie or a show set in the Deus Ex universe.

Contradiction

May 20, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Damn it Jack ninja'd on the first response.

Fallout is perfect for a movie. In fact it more or less has movies already in my eyes. The studio loved to take inspiration and make references to all their favorite post apoc flicks. I see people quoting Nuka Break but if you really want a fallout experience in all its glory watch

Now THAT is a fallout movie. Post apocalyptic stuff, awesome fights, 3 dogs origin (essentially), classic FO mission type stuff and even more of the 'wild wasteland' stuff that had more attention in the original games. It even has a referential achievement in New Vegas.

It starts really slow and is fucking ridiculous but other than that brilliant, you can thank me later.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
cnaltman62 said:
Silent Hill deserves a better movie. The Silent Hill movie wasn't awful, but it completely failed to capture the feel of the game, and it could have been done far better.
Agreed although I still consider it to be probably the best movie based off a video game.

OT:
Mass Effect
Assassin's Creed
Bioshock
Fallout
Limbo
Uncharted
Bastion

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
MajorTomServo said:
I think Fallout would be a LOT better as a TV series. Room for tons of one-off adventure-of-the-week episodes, with a big overreaching plot of the quest to defeat The Master/save Project Purity/destroy The Enclave/whatever.

Plus, that gives the potential to swap companions in and out as needed.
Daring Dashwood and his Stalwart Ghoul Manservant Argyle! If a TV show was impossible even a radio show would be cool. Fallout has so much potential.

TephlonPrice

Dec 24, 2011
More movie potential:

Army of Two as a giant Hollywood action film special filled with blood, guts, guns, and tons of brofist awesomeness.

The Resistance series could definitely work for a movie.

The Crysis series definitely has potential... provided there's plenty of action to go around.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
Khrowley said:
I think Assassin's Creed could actually work as a live-action, but the story would probably have to take place in the past so we could see more of the Assassin's history and such.
Did you ever see this?

I think AC has great scope for a movie.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
The only game I could see potentially being adapted as a good full length film would be Metro 2033.

Mass Effect, Fallout, Bioshock, Deus Ex and maybe Halo could make for good LA shorts or series if they do not cover the direct events of the games and don't depict the protagonists and main storyline (the worst reason for this; 'your' Shepard/Lone Wanderer/Jensen won't be there, another will), but not full movies.

Considering how full-length movies of games tend to turn out, maybe it would be best if none were ever made again.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
On-topic:

Uncharted is pretty much diet Indiana Jones so that'd be simply enough, but I think for the real feel of having a unique world full of imagination and wonder, I'd say the Shock games wouldn't be bad - System Shock, Bioshock, etc all have quite fantastic settings with a running theme: if they deviated from the stories enough so fans wouldn't see everything coming a mile off but kept it within the scope of the original ideas, I think they're make pretty decent films.

Off-topic:

Headdrivehardscrew said:
CAMDAWG said:
And for the authentic dark souls experience, every five minutes the film will start again from the beginning, and the ushers will take all the money from your wallet.
I keep hearing that and I'm pretty sick of/with it, as it's plain just not true.
Depends on the person, I've found. I personally felt there were some things you couldn't possibly be ready for the first time you run through an area so the game relied a lot of trial and error. This isn't necessarily a bad design, but I felt constantly having to jog back through the same enemies in the same area to run back to that one unique enemy (with attacks I've never seen before that basically insta-kill) just murdered any sense of enjoyment for me by ripping me out of the action every half-hour and plonking me back to the start.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game and it's good to see the game grab such a large audience, but I don't think it's fair to say that the main complains raised against the game are, objectively, 'not true'.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
It would probably work best as a high-budget (Like...super fucking huge) miniseries, but Final Fantasy 7. I've been replaying the game recently, and while I've only ever played FF8, some 10 and 13, 7 feels like it has the potential to be amazing if handled right. But then again...being handled right is the bane of every video game movie. DooM didn't suck because the acting was slightly above average, it sucked because there was no Hell, one of the main reasons I went to see it.

The Force Unleashed could be rather cool, assuming they got the same guy who plays Starkiller to play himself.

Mass Effect 1 would make a rather cool movie, and you could technically end it without the need for sequels (Killing Sovereign compltely stopped the Reaper invasion instead of delaying it).

I feel obligated to say Halo. No matter what people say about the series, those live-action trailers for Halo 3 were brilliant, and from what we got with District 9, the director could have made an amazing movie. I'm honestly surprised no one seems to want to touch it, thinking it won't be profitable. If every one person out of ten who bought a Halo game went to see the movie...it'd make a tonne of money.

Personally, I'm rather against a Metal Gear Solid movie simply because the games play as interactive movies. I want to see a Halo movie because I want to see MC and UNSC Marines shooting the shit out of Covenant and Flood, since that never happens in a cut scene. I want a Mass Effect film because I want to see some of the scenes you play in an epic cutscene. Same with Force Unleashed (Like bringing down that cruiser thing). I want an FF7 film because I want to see that massive battle at Junon last longer than thirty seconds, and not look like it was made in 1996. But seeing Snake beat up Liquid? That happens in a cutscene of the game. There is a cut scene where you see Grey Fox going insane. Hell, there is a cut scene of Snake fighting a boss before or after every boss fight. There is nothing a film could do which the game hasn't already done. The only thing a film could do would be to change entire sections to make it only two hours long, removing a lot of good content.

But...that's just me.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think Ico would make a great movie if produced by Studio Ghibli or something.