What's the game with the most potential for a good movie?

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
AngloDoom said:
On-topic:

Depends on the person, I've found. I personally felt there were some things you couldn't possibly be ready for the first time you run through an area so the game relied a lot of trial and error. This isn't necessarily a bad design, but I felt constantly having to jog back through the same enemies in the same area to run back to that one unique enemy (with attacks I've never seen before that basically insta-kill) just murdered any sense of enjoyment for me by ripping me out of the action every half-hour and plonking me back to the start.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game and it's good to see the game grab such a large audience, but I don't think it's fair to say that the main complains raised against the game are, objectively, 'not true'.
Nope. I disagree... to some extent.

See, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls were different in that standard 'modern' strategies, most of them borrowed from, say, beat'em ups or other rather simple-minded button-mashing fare were plain the wrong way to go.

Where in most other modern games all that's required of you is target acquisition, a quick trigger finger and, sometimes, three seconds or so of patience to have your life bar automagically refilled, the Souls titles let you figure things out yourself, at your own pace. Right from the get-go you (should) learn that any and all gung-ho action quickly ends in your own demise.

See, in my first play-through I went for a rogue. It was not before very, very late in the game that I bothered to figure out the parry-riposte or backstab mechanics - I was just too busy not dying, too overwhelmed with everything and too genuinely afraid of failure. Then, eventually, I stopped and said to myself: "There must be a better, quicker, more efficient way of killing bid bad silver knights! I can't spend so much time on every single one of them!" - and, lo and behold, there were quicker ways to dispatch them, with new animations and even a sound effect that made it clear: I DID IT!

While the game does not hand you much in terms of a proper introduction to story or mechanics, it (should) make it clear very soon that you need to tread carefully.

See that large, 8-foot fully armoured guy that conveniently stands with his back facing towards you? Do you

a) try to sneak up on him and try to backstab him with that broken butter knife you brought along?

b) run up to him screaming, bringing all your level 1 hell down on him?

c) go somewhere else, come back another time with, maybe, better armor, better weapons, better stats and some actual experience?

d) find a way around him so you can get the shiny shiny something before the tall guy comes to chop you up?

See, once I learned to incorporate the but temporary inconvenience of death and the rather immortal nature of our player character, things got very different, and way more interesting. Death is part of the deal here, and once you figure that out, you really only die when you're not careful, when you go pee or prepare dinner without exiting the game first, or when you made a mistake (such as wanting to play against cheaters).

Yes, some of the bosses managed to kill me even late in the game, but that can easily be prevented, or at least postponed a bit by simply not running through fog gates when you don't know what's behind them. As for most enemies, they can be evaded by running, jumping, rolling past them, under them, away from them. There are many shortcuts that allow you to drop to a lower level without instantly dying, and they allow for some turbo-charged second walkthrough that, once you've memorized the areas, is more like a run-through.

To be honest, I haven't had this much fun in a game since, say, Donkey Kong or Super Mario Land.

Yes, the game experience at the very beginning can be disheartening. Yes, I was shocked to not have any sort of in-game map. Turns out the game was so much better and so much more rewarding just because of these seemingly punishing choices.

Also, I think these two Souls games have the potential to influence the player on a more metaphysical, emotional level. The souls, or 'points' you collect are much more valuable because you know you can lose them in virtually no time if you're not careful. You can fall to your death, you can forget about that one enemy always lurking behind that one corner, beyond that one closed door.

At first, I thought it was rather lazy to not have some of that epic score blasting away like some elevator music of the damned all the time. Well, once again, turns out it's pretty much perfect the way it is. When there's a big bad coming at you, the score will let you know even before you might see what's coming at you, or where it is coming from. The music will make you jumpy, alert and it will make your blood pressure go up. When you stand still in a new environment, you can hear the shuffling of undead things, or you can hear bones rattle, or you can hear the distinct sounds of chainmail and heavy boots. Everything is scary for a not too brief period of time, and once you figure out how to master it, the whole game experience turns around and pats you on the back. Well done, it seems to be saying. Well done, you're all grown up now!

As for the insta-kill huge enemies or insta-kill combos of some lesser demonic foes - I've found that when you're not yet fully equipped, running away or having a look at things from afar are really the better options. If all else fails, the specific wiki pages will become your second home. It's where seasoned travellers posted all the knowledge they could find, and it's where struggling upcoming heroes go to find answers.

Even my experience was not entirely without failure or flaws, but compared to the feelings I had during playing and after finishing the games (a couple of times), I have to say I am looking at games differently. Most other games I find offensively simple, appallingly overloaded with bullshit backstory and just unacceptable in pure game mechanics. I'd rather go back to some more Dark Souls than play any crap new game for longer than just five minutes after it starts boring or offending me.

uhddh

Sep 27, 2011
I don't see the point in a MGS movie. The're already basically movies aren't they?

OT: Devil May Cry. Not sure which one, but I feel that those games could easily adapt to a movie format. Sure it'll never be as good due to the lack of interactivity, but it'd be fun to watch.

Wafflepunk

Sep 5, 2012
My first thought is Borderlands. I think it could work, since the games don't take themselves too seriously. Think Mad Max 2 meets The Expendables, like the movie itself is saying to you, "we know that shotguns don't shoot rockets in real life, but just play along, it'll be cool."

Also, I think a Metal Gear Solid movie would be worth making. I know that the games have enough cutscenes for a movie anyway, but I think a live action movie would add some realism to the story, and take it more seriously than the games do. The MGS games have a history of overacting and strange humor, and I think a movie could tone these down enough to make the story more accessible while still being recognizable to fans.

LagomorphX

Oct 2, 2012
In terms of sheer, Transformers-esque enjoyableness, I would have to go with Halo, especially if done with an equally Transformers-esque budget. The story is basic and the characters are kind of flat, but it would definitely appeal to my explosion-lust.

In terms of actual filmic quality, that would be harder to say, since games are (in most cases, not all) not ideal for translation to the big screen. Even for the examples of Silent Hill and Bioshock that others have said, the story itself is basically "escape from here" with no real character development as such; I'm not saying they can't be fleshed out in production though.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 definitely have potential as they are much more character focused than the first game. On a side note, Silent Hill: Relevations, which is coming out soon, is based on Silent Hill 3, so it remains to be seen whether it can be one of the first decent video game movies (probably not).

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
I might say the Metal Gear francise.

It's already in ways similar to a hollywood movie, so I think making an adaptation would be easier than doing your own thing with it (which I think is one big problem most video game movies have, as most filmmakers just take the license and do what they want with it with almost no consideration for why people like it).

And I think it wouldn't hurt to distil it abit so you won't get drowned in exposition, I doubt many fans would mind as they know certain details they might be left out, and that way newcomers won't get too terribly confused or bored.

Though I would like to see a movie on the Elder Scrolls franchise.

Granted, it might take a fairly decent budget to get it right, but The Elder Scrolls is an expansive universe with alot of material you can work with.

There's just SO MUCH you can do putting it into film, you could do the Alessian Revolt on the Ayleids, or Tiber Septim's campaign on the first Aldmeri Dominion, or heck, have someone from Bethesda write you a completely new story for you the work with.