What's the Most Immersive Game You've Ever Played?

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
I was just curious, since Skyrim is one of the most immersive games I've ever played, basically being my own D&D world to role-play in, I was wondering what games you guys have played that've had the same effect on you? What game really got you into the story? Into the character? Into the world of the game?

NOTE: This does not refer to any one element, (story, graphics, etc) but rather the game as a whole.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Dragon Age 2, actually. I felt like it was a whole cast of real people I was interacting with.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

The setting, graphics, story and music are all pretty much perfect for a vampire simulator. And the resulting game is one of the most impressive games I ever played. Though it is a Troika game so you should get the fan-made patch (otherwise it is buggy as hell).

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Probably Bioshock. I know I'm immersed when I can't even remember to hit the quicksave key every once in awhile.

Amnesia would be up there as well. Immersion is a must for horror to work, and boy did it work.

Skyrim... nah, just kidding. That game didn't even come close.

The_Fezz

Oct 21, 2010
I'd say either Mass Effect 2, I really felt a connection with the cast of characters or Red Dead Redemption, in which I actually got to know the names of tiny bit part characters.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Zhukov said:
Probably Bioshock. I know I'm immersed when I can't even remember to hit the quicksave key every once in awhile.

Amnesia would be up there as well. Immersion is a must for horror to work, and boy did it work.

Skyrim... nah, just kidding. That game didn't even come close.
Mmmm! Bait! I love me some bai.... waaaaitaminit...

/scowls, then turns up his nose, crosses his arms, and walks promptly right back into his PERFECT FANTASY GAME.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Fallout 3 - I've spent four hundred hours + in that world, it's rather actually scary to sit down and think about because it didn't seem that long and what the hell could I have done with my time instead?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Tie between:

- STALKER
- Metro 2033
- WoW (thanks to the art design)
- BioShock
- Skyrim
- Mass Effect 1 and 2
- Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines
- Half Life 2
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Metroid Prime 1 and 2

It's not without reasons that those games would top my favourite games list. Immersion is the quality I look for in a game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Resident Evil 4

Especially that first act in the farm lands.

I never felt this close to being part of a Texas Chainsaw experience.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
The Witcher 1 really got me into the role of a Witcher.

I was going around killing monsters, reading books on monsters, picking herbs, making potions, exploring, levelling my abilities etc. etc.

Plus the fact you had to find campfires to level up and prepare potions and rest to the correct time of day to meet certain characters - it actually felt like a real world, I enjoyed it lots.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Skyrim is definitely one of the most immersive games I've ever played. Oblivion and Morrowind are as well but I think Skyrim does the best job out of all of those. The Darkness was also incredibly immersive, so was Fable 1. When I was younger I also found the Pokemon games very immsersive as well.