What's the most okay game you've ever played?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Much is said about which games are the best and which are the worst.

Today, just for the hell of it, I wish to know about the middle-of-the-road games. The ones that weren't bad or terrible or good or great, but simply okay.

Note that I don't mean "okay" in a damning-with-faint-praise kind of way. Nor do I mean it as an outright condemnation, the way "generic" and "mediocre" are often used.

I'm talking about games that you had a bit of fun with. But not a whole lot. The okay games.

Mine would be 2013's Tomb Raider.

- It looked okay. Graphically solid and well animated but a bit too drab to ever really hold the eye.
- It sounded okay. Everything sounded as it should, but nothing stood out, no signature sound effects or memorable music.
- The story was below average, at least by my standards. It just barely ticks along, connecting events but doing precious little else. Characters were forgettable one-notes and it seemed like the developers expected us to love Lara just because she was Lara Croft rather than because of anything they put in the actual game.
- The gameplay was actually a bit above average in my opinion. A pleasingly mobile shooter with a great cover system and enough simple puzzles to break things up. But the really good fights were too few and any attempt to be thorough with collectibles or optional puzzles would utterly kill the pacing.

In short, it was okay.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Watch Dogs, the gameplay was generic, the story was generic, everything about it just oozed "generic"

I didn't hate it, but I couldn't really find anything to like about it either

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Darksiders.

There's nothing it does exceptionally well, but it doesn't suck hard enough at anything to be bad. It sits in the middle in just about every category I consider if a games good or not. Its world and pacing reminds me of Legend of Zelda, its combat plays like a low rent God of War, lastly its character designs are cartoony and over-sized reminding me of Warcraft.

The worst thing I can say about Darksiders is that nothing in the game feels original. Its a carefully selected mish-mash of several games put together to make something marketable. It's a product that FEELS like its just a product.

The Purple Grape

Jun 5, 2015
Assassins Creed Syndicate

Plot was average and forgettable, villain very one note, but it was more about Jacob and Evie and their interactions were always good. Contrived romance subplot. Liked the DLC though.
Looks fine, nothing special ran OK at launch(better than Unity) grappling gun kinda made the parkour pointless.

Overall average even by AssCreed standards. Not bad like Unity or 3, but not good like 2 or Black Flag, even Brotherhood I would rate higher.

Zhukov said:
Mine would be 2013's Tomb Raider.
But her breasts (and lung capacity) were smaller and that is whats important, good writing takes actual effort and time, but gotta have those hair physics instead.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I'll echo Watch Dogs and Tomb Raider. I also mildly enjoyed the SP-campaigns of Crysis 2 and 3. They were fun but never to the point of ''great''. You played it before, and better. Still the games had a cool setting, looked nice and had solid mechanics. However it was also a 'sterile' experience with no personality of it's own and an incomprehensible story that appeared interesting but which they botched to execute properly. These are 2 games I think had a really solid foundation but just missed the flavor on top.

The list of okay games would probably be endless though. Games nowadays have a minumum quality standard most of the time. Whether you like them or not seems to be more and more a matter of personal taste. I'm old enough to remember the days of ''LJN''. *shivers*

Feb 7, 2016
Watch Dogs
I was so excited, so ready for the game that I even upgraded my PC for it, and it fell so flat. Bland combat, bland story, bland character, a pretty looking world but overall uninspired. I still enjoyed playing it, in the most average way possible.

Zombi(U)
A game that I was actually interested in for awhile, and when I got a WiiU the game was about $6. Why not, right? Well, it had a terrible FOV (even for a console shooter), but it was pretty engaging now and again, but overall mediocre. I realize the shooting was purposely downplayed, but so was the melee combat. The environments were mostly generic (though the atmosphere in many was actually excellent).
I didn't actually finish it until it was later released on Steam.

Assassin's Creed III
With all the bad talk I saw this game get online, I was expecting to hate it. I didn't. In fact, I enjoyed it enough that I almost think it's unfair to put it on this post. However, I probably wouldn't play it again, unlike with Assassin's Creed 2 and 4, which I love.
It looked good, played smoothly, and I even enjoyed several of the characters and the story.

Batman (Arkham Asylum, City, Origins, Knight)
Pretty much all of them boiled down to, "This is it, huh?"
Not bad, but I actually wanted to fall asleep during them. Maybe I'm just not enough into the source material, or maybe it's because the games take place primarily at night time, but I found myself bored most of the time. On this list I made, I'd say this series is probably the most "Okay" of them all. There certainly are great segments, and fantastic characters (obviously from the source material), but that combat...

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
I would say its far cry 3. its alright game that can be boring at times. but its only ubisoft game in like decade which is actually worth playing. from assassins creed annual release to dumbing down splinter cell and rainbow six to watch dogs everything they made suck. FC4 was also terrible compare to 3. typical ubisoft cant do anything right.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I'll add Dying Light to the mix as well. Concept of a zombie infested open-world is cool and the melee combat was visceral and satisfying. The guns however were very clunky and had poor hit detection ie. headshots would never register. Since the game was mostly focused on melee this wasn't too much of a problem. The level design was also superb and among the best I've seen in an open world espescially with the neatly implemented parkouring.

However the game also suffered from 'Ubisoft syndrome' with it's predilection for quest markers, collectibles, cluttered map and fetch quests. Dying Light ultimately became like a less polished melee Far Cry with zombies as the game dragged on and the repetitive grind set in. It also had an atrocious final level if you play the game through to the end.

Still the game had it's moments which makes it ''okay'' in my book.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
For me. It is Final Fantasy 14 ARR. After years of WoW, MMO's have been my thing. I've played a bunch of MMOs and some I loved like WOW and others I hated like Guild Wars 2. Others I just found...okay. Final Fantasy 14 ARR, falls smack dab in the middle of the okay bar.

Good Graphics
Solid, but extremely slow combat.
Fun combat classes, but crafting and gathering classes are nothing short of a hassle.

After 24 hours played and getting a class to level 58, I just couldn't find the fun factor that everyone else did. I mean I couldn't find anything that made me hate it, it was just okay.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Bilious Green said:
I've played lots of okay games, but none of them were memorable enough for me to recall the titles.
Yeah, that's kind of the problem for me, too. I remember good games and bad games. Being okay makes you forgettable. In a sense, it's the most damning of the three.

As such, I only really remember the last okay game I've played. The Division takes the okay crown by default.
The Purple Grape said:
But her breasts (and lung capacity) were smaller and that is whats important, good writing takes actual effort and time, but gotta have those hair physics instead.
That would make sense if writing was ever a hallmark of the Tomb Raider series.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

The gameplay is fun, and the missions varied, but it gets a little too easy sometimes.

The settings are amazing; the savannas of Africa to the mountains of Russia. But the characters... Oh man the characters. I can't even remember the name of the character that you play.

The plot is so generic, despite playing it just 5 hours ago I can't remember what is going on.

So all in all, really... okay.

I would play a sequel though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter on the Nintendo 3DS.

It had an interesting anime intro and setting (anime anthrophic animals aka furries) and your generic anime fill story to the point that the first boss you defeat only set in motion of another antagonist on the part 2 of the story.

The game also had several minigames (racing, fighting and even fishing) but it's a case of quantity over quality.

Once I beat the story, I was quick to turn it in and the challange mode that was unlocked afterward did not keep my interest in (it was hard but I could of beat it given some time to it).

Mar 30, 2010
I'm gonna have to plump for TES: Oblivion on this one. It was perhaps my very definition of an okay game, and I ended up sinking a good couple of hundred hours into it all told, but I never warmed to it as much as I did to other TES titles. The art style was too cutesy, the combat was dull (the old 'Oblivion hokey-kokey'), and the quest markers ruined any sense of exploration, and yet despite this it was still (mostly due to Bethesda's excellent track record at world-building) fun to sink into for an afternoon. It wasn't brilliant, but it certainly wasn't bad, and I always feel slightly guilty of ragging on it because it didn't actually do anything wrong, it just failed to do a bunch of stuff right.

The Purple Grape

Jun 5, 2015
Something Amyss said:
Bilious Green said:
I've played lots of okay games, but none of them were memorable enough for me to recall the titles.
Yeah, that's kind of the problem for me, too. I remember good games and bad games. Being okay makes you forgettable. In a sense, it's the most damning of the three.

As such, I only really remember the last okay game I've played. The Division takes the okay crown by default.
The Purple Grape said:
That would make sense if writing was ever a hallmark of the Tomb Raider series.
True, but it wasn't shoved down my throat with a cutscene every 5 minutes with cliched characters that I know nothing about.

Sep 14, 2009
Dragon Age 2

I preferred DA:O's more tactical based gameplay, but DA2 had its own charm to be sure. This was dragged down more by the "waves" of enemies which only watered down the tactical bit more.

The graphics and art style weren't horrendously ugly, but they were very different compared to the first game so it was an overall "eh...what? why?"

I liked most of the characters, but I also felt like they were also watered down when the game was going for a more personal story rather than grand adventure.

For every positive this game had, it certainly had a negative (copy pasted dungeons, anyone?), so it was hard to ignore the flaws when there were just as many bad as good things.

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
Crucify me for I am a sinner, I feel this way for both the mass effect trilogy and dragon age origins. I had a really hard time getting invested in the worlds. Everything just felt monotone and nothing ever really spoke to me. The characters I felt no real reason to care about and the choices I made made very little difference. Never mind the endings I feel like had dragon age been deeper or mass effect less robotic I would have enjoyed it more.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Skops said:
Darksiders.

There's nothing it does exceptionally well, but it doesn't suck hard enough at anything to be bad. It sits in the middle in just about every category I consider if a games good or not. Its world and pacing reminds me of Legend of Zelda, its combat plays like a low rent God of War, lastly its character designs are cartoony and over-sized reminding me of Warcraft.
Good example. I actually think Darksiders 2 is a better than average game, but the first one is very "okay."

OT: I have a few. Killzone 2 is very okay, the single player I mean, I never hated it, but I never really enjoyed myself playing it either. Killzone 3 was better, but again, nothing to write home about.

Red Steel 2. The original Red Steel was very mediocre, and outright bad by most accounts. Red Steel 2 actually felt good, the Wii motion plus controls were pretty nice. But by the half point of the game, it got tedious, and I was checked out.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Hmm... maybe Resident Evil: Outbreak? Not good, not bad, just some okay bite-size nuggets of survival horror. No individual mission was long enough to stand out.

Maybe Wave Race: Blue Storm? It was a totally average racer that I only played because it was a Gamecube launch title and there was nothing else to play yet.