What's the most overrated song ever?

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Tool...

I like Tool, but they really aren't the most unique, technical and ground breaking band out there as some of their more rabid fanboys will have you believe. They are just a damn fine prog band that plays some cool tunes and possesses some quite impressive technical chops. I will dare to say that they are a bit one-tracked in their song writing.

Alos, yellow submarine is one of the most awful songs i have ever heard, i get Beatles, but i don't get why all of their work is so highly praised, some of their songs are pretty atrocious to my ears. Maxwell Silver Hammer anyone? Oh and i love prog, but some of the stuff from the 70s that is held in high regard is quite cheesy at times, i really can't stand some of the more silly moments in the genre. As much as i love Mike Oldfield, he does tend to write a song here and there that's just so cheesy that it becomes unlisteneable.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Daymo said:
Smells like teen spirit, I don't hate grunge, I don't even hate Nirvana, it's just this one song sounds so muffled and awful and really has no quality to it that makes it stand out from other grunge songs, yet this is the one song to represent the entire genre, I don't get it.
Yup. If Kurt Cobain hadn't offed himself Nirvana would have been forgotten with all the other grunge bands.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Grampy_bone said:
Daymo said:
Smells like teen spirit, I don't hate grunge, I don't even hate Nirvana, it's just this one song sounds so muffled and awful and really has no quality to it that makes it stand out from other grunge songs, yet this is the one song to represent the entire genre, I don't get it.
Yup. If Kurt Cobain hadn't offed himself Nirvana would have been forgotten with all the other grunge bands.
Probably not, considering how well Nevermind did at the time, it would have been remembered regardless of his death or not. They didn't become big when he died, maybe bigger, but they were already huge at the time.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
MrBaskerville said:
Grampy_bone said:
Daymo said:
Probably not, considering how well Nevermind did at the time, it would have been remembered regardless of his death or not. They didn't become big when he died, maybe bigger, but they were already huge at the time.
There are lots and lots of bands that "became big" and are now either forgotten or considered an embarrassing fad (i.e. Backstreet Boys were HUGE, no one considers them "good" now though). The lack of success of any other mainstream grunge band tells us Nirvana's success was a fluke. We may have remembered them as "that one decent band from the 90's" but not as "ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG Nirvana is one of teh greatest bands of all timez evar evar evar!!!!!" that all the dumb hipster doofuses say.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Grampy_bone said:
MrBaskerville said:
Grampy_bone said:
Daymo said:
There are lots and lots of bands that "became big" and are now either forgotten or considered an embarrassing fad (i.e. Backstreet Boys were HUGE, no one considers them "good" now though). The lack of success of any other mainstream grunge band tells us Nirvana's success was a fluke. We may have remembered them as "that one decent band from the 90's" but not as "ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG Nirvana is one of teh greatest bands of all timez evar evar evar!!!!!" that all the dumb hipster doofuses say.
That's true, but there is a difference, Backstreet Boys didn't have a couple of solid album releases, they didn't have any longevity or anything resembling the highly regarded MTV unplugged performance. Nirvana did a lot of things that made people remember them, it wasn't just his suicide that caused it. The thing with Nirvana is that they created a loyal fanbase of people of really liked their output and the strenght of their output made newer generations fans as well. His death probably boosted album sales, and some people might get into Nirvana because they jear about his suicide, but a lot of people get into the band because they discover they discover their albums, either through radio or similar artists.

But i do think his death might have had a negative impact on In Utero, that album is highly overlooked these days, everybody talks about Nevermind...

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Grampy_bone said:
Daymo said:
Yeah, those other grunge bands like Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains, no one remembers or cares about them anymore, right?

Also, Dave Grohl.

Most overrated song is Bohemian Rhapsody. Great song, but for crying out loud give it a rest.

FabTails

Oct 25, 2013
Probably Imagine by John Lennon. I love Lennon, but Imagine is a really simple song that carries a pretty cliche message.

I have no idea why it stuck and why it gets called the greatest song ever written. It's pleasant, sure. But there is nothing about it either sonically and lyrically that makes it great.

Grampy_bone said:
That's highly, highly unlikely and it is an unfounded thing to say. I don't think you could give me an example of a band that was as successful and praised as Nirvana that is totally "forgotten" about a few decades later. Don't make the mistake of thinking Nirvana were "one hit wonders" or anything like that. They were around for almost ten years and were just as praised as they were then as they are now. All three of their albums were huge releases that were praised to high heaven. I think to suggest they would have been forgotten if Cobain didn't die is crazy.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Gonna break the mold for the all classic rock and Gangam Style and instead say half the popular rap artist stuff out there.
Lil' Wayne, Niki Minaj, that sort of stuff. Doubly depressing that they're so popular when artists like Sage Francis and P.O.S get completely overshadowed.

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
Maybe Bohemian Rhapsody is a little overrated, but I'd still rather hear that song than most current hit music.

Nobody even mentioned Skyfall? Seriously? Sure, it wasn't a huge hit song, but the fact that it made it onto the radio at all is a fucking travesty, that song was garbage. I'm sure I've heard that song on the radio more than BR. (on separate stations obviously)

I'm not sure you can call some of the songs mentioned overrated if I've never even heard of them, but after having a quick listen of that Soulja boy song I'm just going to be grateful and not argue about it.

Bonus points to anybody who submitted a song that will still be listened to long after we are all dead.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Stairway to Heaven
Most of The Beatles' hits
That one molasses-slow, sensitive song with only vocals and a piano
90% of dubstep
Anything Li'l Wayne or Kanye
Whatever song washed-up Miley's riding on these days

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Zak757 said:
Smoke on the Water is an awful song.
It's not a godsend or anything but knowing that it was recorded in one take while the police were breaking down the doors of their makeshift studio makes it the rockinest song ever.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Katy Perry oh god EVERYTHING she makes. she has what 10 hits on the radio at any one time? I work at a place that has one radio that broken and can only play one station, (mix 93.1) which is a pop station that I absolutely hate. on any one day you WILL hear at LEAST 3-4 songs by her every hour almost on the hour. when her new song came out idk "Roar" I think it was, when it came out a couple months ago the station played it every hour on the hour. I'm not kidding the DJ said they were playing her new song every hour on the hour... FOR A WEEK STRAIGHT you want somebody who gets more hype then they deserve it's Katy Perry.

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
Call Me Maybe. People were calling this the greatest pop song ever.

I hated every second of it from the first time i ever heard it

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Most of Green Day.
(Why Harmonix thought their popularity in the US was reason enough to dedicate a whole game to them is beyond me.)

Most of The Beatles.
(And the Rock Band franchise dies.)

Most of Queen.
(I can only assume they were the next to get a Rock Band game if the Beatles hadn't killed it.)

Each have at least one song I don't mind. But a lot of vastly overrated one too. But even bands I like have some way overrated songs. Mostly it comes from one of their songs being 'more accessible'. And in being more accessible, more people like it, therefore it gets overplayed and seems more popular than it deserved to be.

Some examples from the bands people have listed -
Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall part II. I love The Wall but the overplaying of that song causes me to skip that track every time.
AC/DC - Personally I'd say Highway to Hell (to simplistic), or You Shook Me All Night Long (kinda pop-ish).
Queen - We Will Rock You or We Are the Champions, two 'rock' songs that people who don't like Rock seem to love (and think they love rock by liking them).
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit. When that album came out that was the first song I heard and loved. Then three weeks later I was sick of it.
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven. Like Teen Spirit. It's interesting first time then gets steadily more annoying the more you hear it.

Examples of better tracks from these bands that seem to get ignored -
Pink Floyd - Comfortable Numb (also vastly overplayed, but at least it's got a bit of depth).
AC/DC - Next to the Moon or Down Payment Blues. As much as I love AC/DC they write very simple songs. These have a little more tension and lyrical depth thanks to Bon Scott.
Queen - I'm no expert or fan of Queen but I like 'I Want it All' more than their other 'hits'.
Nirvana - Scentless Apprentice. This song still has power, beyond the dated sound of most of their other catalog.
Led Zeppelin - When the Levee Breaks, The Rain Song. For me, they have many songs much better than all their so-called 'hits'. In fact as much as I love the band I pretty much hate all their overplayed hits with a passion (e.g. Black Dog, Immigrant Song, Whole Lotta Love etc...)

Currently Pink seems way more popular than she should be. But middle of the road is a popular place to be so I can understand it. Probably the Red Hot Chili Peppers could be here too. Musically they can be okay, but lyrically they're like a children's rhyming book.

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
Californication for me. just not my song really

captch agree to disagree how appropirate well played internet

VodkaKnight

Jul 12, 2013
Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke.
When it got released, it was playing pretty much non-stop for three weeks. And then the parody of it got released and there was no escape for another two weeks.
I just don't like it because it's about sex, and there are no blurred lines in sex.