What's the oldest game you can still enjoy today?

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
chess is a timeless classic. i still enjoy it.

Derek_the_Dodo said:
Seems like nobody here is a fan of chess. I topped you all.

Smart assery aside probably tetris
ninja'd.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Rogue and Zork both came out around 1980. One is a dungeon crawler with ASCII graphics, the other is a straightforward text adventure. I even still like to mess around with Oregon Trail (1978). Shiny graphics are great, but I don't depend on them for my fun.

The Headcrab Farmer

Dec 16, 2010
Released earliest? That would be Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey. The gameplay is still fun and Abe handles great (if you ever get mad at him you can always make sure he runs face first into a wall), the animations are gorgeous and the resolution is surprisingly tolerable.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Shining Force. It is one of my top 5 games of all time. I love the strategy, story, and characters.
Some of the characters you can get are just so awesome. You can get: A dragon, an old man in a flying machine, a robot, a dragon, a floating squid creature (called a domingo), birdmen, an incredibly OP samurai, a werewolf, a hamster (he's really just an easter egg), and a steam suit paladin. Then there's a bunch more normal kinds of characters.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I tend to still enjoy the Original Sonic the Hedgehog series (1 - Knuckles), The Lion King, Aladdin, and Vectorman 1. However, I play most of these games on my PS2/Wii and cannot do so with the Disney licensed games.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
There's plenty of old games that give me a good helping of nostalgia whenever I play them, but the oldest game that I still find genuinely fun to play would have to be The Secret of Monkey Island (1990).

Point and click adventure games at their finest (and funniest).

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
most my NES games i can still play and enjoy.

with a special mention of Metal Storm, because it was great :3

Blondefool

Feb 24, 2012
Zork

I don't play it often but there is something brilliant about sitting down for a few hours and just losing yourself in it

Ryuo

Dec 5, 2009
I replay my Sega Genesis collection every now and then. Phantasy Star 1,2,3,& 4 and Shining Force 1 & 2. Old school RPGs are still good today. These are particularly playable even now.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Probably super mario bros on the NES which came out in 1985 according to wikipedia that game hasnt aged at all it still looks and plays exactly as I remember it.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
I'll go with The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall (1996) That, I played pretty recently-
That game is freakishly huge and pretty awesome at the same time. And I love those graphics!

Plus, you can make a goddammn ninja, that can be pretty badass (you could do that too in Obivion and Morrowind, but it wasn't so great)

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Missile Command, 1980. Technically older than me. I played and enjoyed it pretty recently (this year, at least).

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
realist1990 said:
age of empires 2...so so awesome....first game I ever played on pc
This. I can always go back to my childhood and enjoy the stories over and over again.

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
Okay, well, to be completely honest, I lost some respect for your opinion when graphics came up. No, that's wrong. It was when you said it was less enjoyable because of the graphics is more accurate. There was a college professor that made his students play Ultima 4 and was disgusted at how few, if any, of his students were able to play it, much less enjoy it. If you don't like a game, fine, there's not a thing wrong with that. But not liking something because of the graphics, that just seems...stupid to me.

I grew up playing Mega Man X ('93) and I still love it today. I also have a soft spot in my hear for The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past ('91) and it's, in my opinion, the best Zelda game. Ah, how I miss the simpler days of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System...

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Halo CE (2001), yes its not super old like most of the games on this thread, but yeah.

Granted, I mostly play on Anniversary now, but its always nice to play on "Old-o" graphics every once and a while.