What's the opposite of a SJW?

Pinkilicious

Sep 24, 2014
Silentpony said:
Why do they need a name? Or, better yet, why can't they be called Batman or something like that?
Weeellllll now that you mention it... [http://archive.today/miJir]

Slice said:
Pinkilicious said:
VondeVon said:
Not just someone who doesn't care, or even someone who actively promotes discrimination/oppression etc. The people who leap to blame SJWs for everything. The ones who treat them like a combination boogieman and Antichrist. What are those people called?
Rational human beings.
Oh, I thought "RHB" stood for, "Red Hot Boor". Maybe it's not really as set in stone as you think?
It is, and always will. As immutable as time itself. That's why I don't feel anything when something bad happens to them.

Dietz

Oct 9, 2014
valium said:
some fun to be had with this.

opposite of SJW, here we go:

egalitarian.

a rational, decent human being.
Or, what people used to call a classic liberal. Free speech above all, and would tell the speech police SJWs to go pound sand.

Wary Wolf

Sep 10, 2015
Opposite of a SJW?

A K.N.O.B.

Knowledgeable, Nasty, Objective Bastard.

Thank you, I'll see myself out.

I suppose on sheppie's point. Perhaps anyone who sits closer to the center of the Left-right, libertarian/authoritarian political spectrum?

Personally I feel the political spectrum no longer really helps. If you're so far to the left everyone is right wing and you're so liberal you've become authoritarian...

Edit: Oops. Necroed this thread. All apologies guys and girls. I sort of read the date wrong there and thought it was from only a few days ago >_<. I realized my error shortly after being alerted to it and subsequently kicked myself. I'm very sorry about this, by all means lock this thread.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
The opposite of a social justice warrior is an anti-social injustice pacifist. Christ, was it so hard?

Wary Wolf said:
Edit: Oops. Necroed this thread. All apologies guys and girls. I sort of read the date wrong there and thought it was from only a few days ago >_<. I realized my error shortly after being alerted to it and subsequently kicked myself. I'm very sorry about this, by all means lock this thread.
To be fair, this subforum is a bit of a graveyard to begin with, at least necroing gives it some life.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Wary Wolf said:
Opposite of a SJW?

A K.N.O.B.

Knowledgeable, Nasty, Objective Bastard.

Thank you, I'll see myself out.

I suppose on sheppie's point. Perhaps anyone who sits closer to the center of the Left-right, libertarian/authoritarian political spectrum?

Personally I feel the political spectrum no longer really helps. If you're so far to the left everyone is right wing and you're so liberal you've become authoritarian...

"Knowledgeable" and "objective" only fit if you are sarcastically commenting on how they see themselves.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
renegade7 said:
In terms of over-the-top reactions to social concerns that they largely made up (ie the meaning of "SJW" before it was ruined and now you have to be nice to SJWs or you'll look like the only kind of person on the internet who's even worse), I'd say it's fedoras.

Fedoras, because they are essentially the foil to the tumblr-style SJW. However, the catch is in the fact that they are more similar to their much-hated Tumblrites than they are different.

For instance, on "This is Thin Privilege", SJWs can be seen complaining about, among other things, that an example of "thin privilege" is the fact that a woman with a body type more closely matching the ideal has better dating prospects. Meanwhile over in the Manosphere, one can see fedoras complaining about men who are "naturals" or "alphas" having privilege (though they don't use that exact word) that allows them a better selection of partners.

Economically, Tumblr SJWs may latch on to a sort of watered-down, severely misunderstood Marxism that essentially replaces "capitalist class" with "patriarchy" and "means of production" with "culture" and that the communist revolution will be only one part of the overall social revolution (indicating that they understand neither Marxism nor feminism) because wealth privilege is also a tool of the patriarchy. Fedoras, on the other hand, unthinkingly embrace libertarianism, because it allows them to think that they're important and powerful, and also to conveniently ignore that no matter how you slice it luck does play a role in your success (as does, to a certain extent, privilege). It also allows them to deflect and claim that it is actually women and minorities who are economically privileged because of non-discrimination laws.

They both demonstrate a creepy fetishization of Asia. In the PUA side of the Manosphere, you get the ideas that "Western Women" have been corrupted by feminism (as if that's the reason they can't get laid, rather than the attitude underlying that exact idea) and therefore Asian women are pure, traditional, vulnerable, sexually submissive, and will do anything you want, and therefore are infinitely superior as partners and you must do everything in your power to get to an Asian woman before the feminists do (the most truly bugnuts insane spin on this that I've seen is that "the feminists" are also trying to pursue the genetic purity of Asian women so that they can have genetically superior followers). At its most vile, it even invokes some eugenics arguments about how Asians are genetically superior and therefore white people must clean up the gene pool by pursuing Asian partners at all costs. On the fedora side, it's much of the same, combined with a deep confusion of how closely anime represents Japanese culture and an attending refusal to tolerate criticisms of anime or Japanese video games based on the claim that the object of criticism is "a part of the culture". The SJWs, for their part, have transethnic Japanese women.

My Asian friends have informed me that all of that is some of the most disgustingly racist shit that they have ever seen in the US.

They both selectively worship and despite science based on how it confirms or refutes their arguments. Obesity denialists will worship studies that show situations in which obesity is not harmful while at the same time criticizing the entire medical field when it says that overall it's healthier to be of normal weight than to be obese. Likewise PUAs and fedoras will happily blow the evo psych trumpet when it allows them to say things like "women naturally evolved to be sexually coy, you need certain techniques to break down last minute resistance [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape]" or try to justify flagrantly sexist attitudes with claims that what they are doing is just "acknowledging biological differences", and will accuse of being feminist shills/SJW panderers/"Politically Correct" any scientist who calls that out for the bullshit that it is.

SJWs have "victims of cheating" and the attitude that cheating happens because patriarchy rather than just having a shitty boyfriend, fedoras have "cuckolding" and claim that it happens because of "hypergamy" rather than just having a shitty girlfriend. SJWs have "relationship anxiety", fedoras have the friendzone.

SJWs will try to play Oppression Olympics by saying that, even though they may be white and upper-middle class and attending private college on their parents' dime, they are still victims because they might have to, say, "Know that their race and privilege makes them oppressors." Fedoras will, do the same thing, claiming that they are victims of discrimination towards various subsets of nerd culture.

Basically, both fedoras and SJWs are a bunch of complete nerds with literally nothing better to do than piss and moan about made-up social causes, they differ only in the names that they give to their imagined oppressors.
I think you're going a little far in your definition of both archetypes. In my experience SJWs aren't necessarily huge nerds at all (oftentimes quite the opposite) and while I'm sure some fedora-wearing /r9k users are "Fedoras", you are exaggerating that side of the coin to a comedic extent.

There is also extremely little sense in saying the "manosphere" (and what the fuck is that?) PUAs are operating on the same level as the /r9k 4channers, as "Fedoras" given those crowds would have very, very little to do with one another.

On one hand you're describing a fanatical tumblr-woman and on the other you are describing a 4chan robot. While they are both extremes, the 4chan robot is so much further down the line that it is not really comparable. Most "Fedoras"(to roll with your term) would not qualify as that AT ALL - just like while a lot of "SJWs" might indeed use tumblr, they aren't necessarily as fanatical as your describe --- Though most of the ones operating on this forum certainly are ;-)

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
Keavy said:
Isn't that the story of the Tranny Simulator dev?

Who we have yet to confirm was ever threatened?

And who retweeted a death wish of Jim Sterling because Jim said his game looked silly?

Kind of a heavily-revised version of events you've got there.
I hate to rain on your parade here, and I haven't a fucking clue what "Tranny Simulator" is - and couldn't care less, but you haven't been exceptionally interested in "confirming harassment" in the past, have you?

I'd have to actually go so far as to say you have ridiculed people for even questioning the legitimacy of some harassment.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
Keavy said:
It might just be the nerves of being halfway through an unexpectedly decent Keeper run on Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth, but I genuinely do not know what you are talking about. I'm guessing it's something I said about one of the 'Literally Who's?

Like, if you want to deny that the internet contains shitty stupid people who send shitty stupid threats for shitty stupid reasons then go nuts, but if you want to pretend that it's beyond the realm of plausibility for a wildly unpopular woman to get harassed on the internet then don't expect anyone else to join in.
Hey! I never said that, nor do I think that!

I mean, it's also not beyond the realm of plausibility that the dev did genuinely receive some threats, but he certainly hasn't posted any, and between naming a game 'Tranny Gladiator' and retweeted death wishes to his critics, I don't find his word particularly trustworthy. And there's no evidence that any threats came from those ever-present boogeymen, the SJWs. Hasn't stopped people from instantly believing that it deffo happened and it was deffo them though.

I said 'Tranny Simulator' instead of 'Tranny Gladiator' didn't I? My mistake, sorry.
I'll take your word for it. Just from the name, whatever it is, that game is clearly complete shit, the developer a total, tactless moron; and I honestly couldn't be less interested in it. That being said, I don't think you can talk about the "lack of evidence" when you don't give a shit about evidence in regards to other people.

...Or, at least, if you're going to hold these very obvious biases and the hypocrisy, at least be honest about them. With yourself aswell as with other people reading :)

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
Keavy said:
s0denone said:
Some stuff
Okay, if the whole 'I never said that!' thing is meant to be in effect then I still have absolutely no idea what you're talking about in regards to bias and hypocrisy and 'You didn't require evidence to believe this!'

I mean, why bring up something I said without telling me what it was?
Did Sarkeesian and Wu (and a lot of others) recieve harassment? Of course. That isn't what I'm fucking talking about, god damn.
Are you confusing me with someone else???

I think you and I both know you've been eager to ridicule people quite openly before, for not believing every piece of "harassment" that, for example, Sarkeesian or Wu have claimed to been victim to.

I am not saying you don't require evidence; I am saying you don't care about it in regards to certain people and then suddenly care about it in other cases.
All I am asking is for you to acknowledge your hypocrisy in that regard.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Barbas said:
Okay, I should say this up-front: I don't want to insult the people I think you're referring to, but I find a lot of their opinions to be kind of far out, or out in left field. That...may not be the right term. So with that in mind, uhhhhh..."SJW hunters"? I don't know, I personally think they're a little paranoid or, in some extreme cases, not dissimilar to conspiracy theorists. As for what they might call themselves, I've no idea, but judging from what they say I think some of them might go with the term "anti-progressives" (though that would only apply to the ones who frequently find themselves at odds with people they refer to as being "progressives").
I've legitimately been yelled at - and I mean in person in real life - for eating naan bread with chili claiming I'm "appropriating Indian culture". If these people are "progressives" then yes, I'm fundamentally against what we're "progressing" towards.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Weaver said:
Barbas said:
Okay, I should say this up-front: I don't want to insult the people I think you're referring to, but I find a lot of their opinions to be kind of far out, or out in left field. That...may not be the right term. So with that in mind, uhhhhh..."SJW hunters"? I don't know, I personally think they're a little paranoid or, in some extreme cases, not dissimilar to conspiracy theorists. As for what they might call themselves, I've no idea, but judging from what they say I think some of them might go with the term "anti-progressives" (though that would only apply to the ones who frequently find themselves at odds with people they refer to as being "progressives").
I've legitimately been yelled at - and I mean in person in real life - for eating naan bread with chili claiming I'm "appropriating Indian culture". If these people are "progressives" then yes, I'm fundamentally against what we're "progressing" towards.
Wow, you met a real one.

Seriously, those are as rare as unicorn farts. I'd only heard stories on the Internet, and this would be only the second story I believed. (The first was a white guy who just started college who thought white people eating burritos was cultural appropriation.)

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
altnameJag said:
Weaver said:
Barbas said:
Wow, you met a real one.

Seriously, those are as rare as unicorn farts. I'd only heard stories on the Internet, and this would be only the second story I believed. (The first was a white guy who just started college who thought white people eating burritos was cultural appropriation.)
I once had someone try to make stink because I used the word "native" in a software manual. My boss later explained to me that it was a bad case of office politics and the guy just latched onto the first piece of BS in a stupid attempt to discredit our project.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...wouldn't it just be 'feminist'? Given 'SJW' was originally used as a label for the hyper-aggressive minority of people who claimed to be pro-feminist but in practice were doing more harm than good by using inappropriate terminology or taking over discussions about secular issues and claiming them to be about themselves (unfortunately that happened to a lot of Trans-spaces and discussions)?

Like... yeah. I don't care how it's currently being used by the internet at large, going by the original use of it, the opposite of an SJW is a 'feminist', because the opposite of a minority is... the majority. (Then again that's going by the knowledge that feminists are pretty chill people, but judging from the... wonderful things I've read in this sub-forum, that's not something people are gonna acknowledge. Ah, The internet - a place for mutual and respectful conversation!)