What's the opposite of a SJW?

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Breakdown said:
Surely the obvious opposite to an SJW is just your basic internet troll. SJWs care about their ideology to a crazy standard of obsession and have no sense of humour; trolls care about nothing but like having a good laugh. At other people's expense, admittedly.
That doesn't really work because it just focuses on the people who don't care as the opposite of someone that cares too much and that fits both groups, There are trolls on both sides of the issue. The subreddit r/tumblrinaction focuses a ton on SJW antics and has a long list of troll sites that shouldn't be linked because they pretend to be for various causes in an over the top manner to piss off people for one reason or another.

There are people that oppose the perceived SJWs that are just as crazy obsessed and humorless as those they oppose, which is what I think the OP is referring to. Trolls know no ideological bounds, and plenty will play the part of the offended SJW, whatever gets them the most LOLs, and there's plenty of easily offended humorless people of all political stripes out there for trolls to target.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
dunam said:
Revnak said:
EDIT: I suppose the other logical opposite could be someone who defends bigotry and outdated philosophy using civil liberties. Or just a regular negation, but that would just give us everyone who is not a SJW, which is rather useless.
Today I learned that postmodernism is up to date and feminism is tolerance, inherently.

And you mixed the order around.

I think a good argument can be made for calling parts of feminism tolerant, but certainly not say, andrea dworkin's work.
Postmodernism is relatively up to date. I'm not personally aware of significant, broad philosophical movements since. It's certainly more up to date than most. I just can't really think of an ideology fundamentally opposing postmodernism offhand. I suppose I could have just used modernism, I just don't think that actually describes a real group of people.

Should I have used prejudice instead?

Swapping the order of if->then statements (which your phrasing essentially is) is part of a negation. I also provided a version without the swapped order.

I don't honestly care. Would you prefer I used manosphere or Redpill as the opposite of feminism? I'm just being particular about your logic, and even with that swap, we'd be outside of the OP's parameters.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Fedorable/Fedorriors (that second one needs a bit of work). When I see someone vehemently against "SJWs" and such, that ol' internet stereotype does come to mind fairly quickly.

Oh internet, how you have ruined the image of a great hat. Mainly due to wearing it with a goddamn T-shirt.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
VondeVon said:
Not just someone who doesn't care, or even someone who actively promotes discrimination/oppression etc. The people who leap to blame SJWs for everything. The ones who treat them like a combination boogieman and Antichrist. What are those people called?
I don't know what you'd call the opposite of someone who's hiding behind trendy politics to be a bully. Progressives and feminists don't get blamed for everything. They're held in contempt for bitching about entertainment mediums not advancing their underdeveloped worldviews, restricting access to products they weren't going to buy in the first place, embarking on witch hunts against anyone who says something they don't like, weaseling their way into moderating positions across various communities to use as their personal playpen, and branding any dissent as bigotry, sexism, and racism.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Silentpony said:
Why do they need a name? Or, better yet, why can't they be called Batman or something like that?
Batman - the hero we don't need or deserve?

That's not very catchy.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Wow, I did not expect so many serious responses. Cheers guys, there was a heck of a lot to think about in there. It's definitely broadened my perception about both sides.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I really only do gamer stuff online so my only exposure to SJW stuff is gaming-industry-related.

EternallyBored said:
There are people that oppose the perceived SJWs that are just as crazy obsessed and humorless as those they oppose, which is what I think the OP is referring to.
Yep. These were precisely the people I meant.

Fedoras, SQJs and Redpills, huh?

Cheers to everyone, but special nod to renegade7. I had to sit down with a cuppa to work through your response. Many thanks.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
VondeVon said:
Not just someone who doesn't care, or even someone who actively promotes discrimination/oppression etc. The people who leap to blame SJWs for everything. The ones who treat them like a combination boogieman and Antichrist. What are those people called?
See the examples that you are quoting are not "opposites" of SJW's. They are in fact the same thing as SJW's. Authoritarianism is what you are looking for. That is what SJW's are. SJW's are all for discrimination and oppresion. Just so long as the "right" people are the ones being discriminated and oppressed against. You know, the ones that SJW's don't like. Such as Men, White People, Southerners, Those of Religious faith, etc.

The actual opposite of SJW's are the far end Libertarians, who operate wholly on a belief of personal responsibility and merit.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
faefrost said:
VondeVon said:
See the examples that you are quoting are not "opposites" of SJW's. They are in fact the same thing as SJW's. Authoritarianism is what you are looking for. That is what SJW's are. SJW's are all for discrimination and oppresion. Just so long as the "right" people are the ones being discriminated and oppressed against. You know, the ones that SJW's don't like. Such as Men, White People, Southerners, Those of Religious faith, etc.

The actual opposite of SJW's are the far end Libertarians, who operate wholly on a belief of personal responsibility and merit.
You're being too semantic, the opposite of authoritarianism is clearly not what the OP is talking about, breaking it down to fit your definition of an SJW doesn't change that. The OP is asking what you would call the extreme anti-SJW, not what the semantic political opposite of the word SJW breaks down to once you strip it of all meaning beyond a a very base interpretation of political advocacy.

You can have groups on both sides of a political debate that are ideological opposites with their own extremes while still falling along the same side of a scale like authoritarianism/libertarianism, there is more than one way to define the opposite of something than a single facet of its makeup, the OP is talking about an opposite political group, not the complete opposite of SJW as a base concept.

Not to mention, just defining those groups as SJWs too is meaningless as they generally have little to do with social justice, so the term only works if you redefine SJW as authoritarianism in general. That strikes me as unnecessarily reductionist, as it ignores the fact that there can be oppositional extremes within the sides of the scale of control vs freedom.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
thaluikhain said:
Kolby Jack said:
thaluikhain said:
Also, if someone is actively demonising people trying to fight it (solely because they are trying to fight it) it's hard to see how they aren't actively promoting oppression.
I wouldn't think of it that way. In your eyes that may be what it looks like, but to them they're likely only trying to stave off naive idealism and unnecessary change. I know it's a cliche, but change scares people. If you have it good now and someone else comes along saying shit needs to change, what does that mean for you? What if you don't have it as good after shit changes? Who are these dickheads to say you should make sacrifices for people you don't even know? It's not that people aren't sympathetic or empathetic, either, but ask yourself how much you'd be willing to do for someone you'll NEVER meet. Even the basest effort is a challenge for most people in that scenario.
Oh, that's certainly true, something more or less everyone struggles with.

However, that's not to say they still aren't actively promoting oppression by trying to keep things the way they are, or to go back to some real or imagined previous state.
Who is actually promoting an authoritarian state?

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
altnameJag said:
I've heard "Status Quo Warrior" bandied about in various places, but it relies on the classical definition of "SJW" instead of the more modern definition.
Also it promotes the false dichotomy of "you either agree with my political views or you don't want anything to change"

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Pseudonym said:
If I need a way to refer to a group of reactionairies in a way that expresses contempt I find that 'person who uses the word 'SJW' unironically' does the job. The word 'reactionairy' also works. Typically referring to people that way doesn't do anybody any good though. I don't think we need more empty insulting buzzwords to add to 'SJW'.
How is SJW any more of a meaningless buzz word than reactionary?

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Slice said:
What is an SJW? Still, as the term is used, I'd say the opposite of an SJW is another SJW; they're their own particle/anti-particle pair. The only people I've ever heard really care about SJW's turn out to be some form of SJW themselves, assuming that "S" can also stand for "Selfish".

I would just recommend that anyone stay away from those particular (mostly) online circlejerk cultures. They're not important, and what little power they have comes from the attention people choose to give them. "Sex is rape!" or "Red Pill dude!" it's all the same. Different beliefs, different scripts, same tiny brains and tiny souls. Same selfish motives and empty lives.

WhiteNachos said:
Pseudonym said:
If I need a way to refer to a group of reactionairies in a way that expresses contempt I find that 'person who uses the word 'SJW' unironically' does the job. The word 'reactionairy' also works. Typically referring to people that way doesn't do anybody any good though. I don't think we need more empty insulting buzzwords to add to 'SJW'.
How is SJW any more of a meaningless buzz word than reactionary?
Reactionary isn't a specific term, but it does actually mean something. Someone reacting against something "established". Yeah that can be broad, but so is "Hungry". You're confusing a loose term with a meaningless slur.
I'd argue SJW is a loose term. It's an insulting label for far left wing people who are really into identity politics. The kind of people who think "there are not currently any female writers for Rick and Morty" is an actual problem that needs to be fixed. Having those opinions plus not tolerating other opinions (you know the ones that'll accuse people of being bigots as a first resort).

Put it this way, you'll never find republicans or PETA called SJWs but you can call them reactionaries.

Pinkilicious

Sep 24, 2014
VondeVon said:
Rational human beings.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I had an answer about a month ago when I first saw this question. I was curious to see if anyone would say it. Also, I just wasn't in the mood to get mixed up in the SJW debate again. Since no has said it, I am going to.

The opposite of a SJW is a moderate.

I agree with the bigger picture of what these people are advocating for. However, they focus on trivial matters like videogames. ("OMG! That videogame character has boobs!") When pressed on serious social justice issues, they will cry "That's the starving children in Africa argument!"

The biggest problem with them is the quick demonization of people who are not in complete agreement with their outrage. As a result, they undermine their credibility on the issue. The issue itself also gets undermined by how SJW's advocate for them.

It's OK to be passionate about an issue. To get other people to care about them, it's a good idea not to alienate them for not being as passionate as you are about the issue.