What's the Problem With Hit-Girl?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
What's the Problem With Hit-Girl?

An 11 year-old girl is 2010's most controversial movie hero.

Read Full Article

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Very true. I didn't mind her existance at all

I hated that last scene where she beats up the typical school bullies though. Even though it went off-screen and you just heard punches, I thought "This isn't a 'ha! that'll teach 'em' moment, it's a 'holy crap, she hospitalised them!' moment". She didn't adorably take care of them, SHE'S AN ASSASSIN, she probably broke one in half and strangled the other with his own intestine

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I though of Hit Girl as a live action version of Henrietta from Gunslinger Girl. Theyre both the same concept really

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Furburt said:
The problem with hit girl is that for some reason, children can't be violent.

I'm glad that Hit Girl exists, it's another taboo to be broken down
Is it a taboo worth breaking down though? I mean ideally noone would be violent, or at least not kids.
Kids are fucking annoying and really stupid, violent ones are even worse!

I have no problem that she's a girl being violent, just kids in general xD

Larmo

May 20, 2008
This attitude has existed since lead or sidekick female comic book characters began with Wonder Woman.
Funny story about her tho, if you look at the fist 50 issues of Wonder Woman she is a strong woman who can take care of herself, but i found it hilarious than all the people complaining about her lack of femininity and that she wasn't a traditional homemaker, missed that every book had Wonder woman being captured and placed in a BDSM pose by her captors
One of her weaknesses was if you TIED HER WRISTS TOGETHER she would loose all free will and would obey commands, and they were angry that she wasn't 'womanly'.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Furburt said:
Fuck that, children are just as fucked up as the rest of us. Perhaps more so in places.
Why don't more people get this?!
Seriously, has anyone been on Xbox Live recently, maybe visited 4 Chan?

Children seem about as innocent as Satan!

That's why the character of Hit Girl herself doesn't shock me, I'd probably just be grossed out by gore like the "ewww, blood" person I am.

Equality means that children, males and females are all the same, right?
Apparently we in the West stand for all this self-rightous equality... where is it right now?
Not that I think children should be running around with uzis trying to keep muggers from touching their mother's fine bodies or something, but children aren't completly helpess or stupid (though some are, but that goes for adults, too), I mean, they turn into full grown people pretty quickly.

Loves2spooge

Apr 13, 2009
I think you need to look at Hit Girl on a bare-bones story level, especially in respects to the comic.

Knowing that Big Daddy has chosen to sate his ego by wanting to fight against injustice, and his inability to trust anyone other than his daughter, he felt it necessary to train her to be able to defend herself. It's not as though with the people he was after all she'd need was a bottle of mace and a mobile phone, he wanted her to be relentless; a force to be reckoned with, and of course, a heir to his beliefs.

If you look at it, it's just a very alternative approach to parenting. Macabre, yes, but necessary. Big Daddy made a selfish choice, but it cost him, but at least he left his daughter with the necessary tools to survive.

On a side note, I was not a fan of the movie. A lot of the changes were completely unnecessary, and Hit-Girl didn't come across as well as she did in the comic. Also, where was Dave's relationship with his father? And how can a character who narrates the story be left so unexplored? Why turn around the origin of Red Mist? It's confusing overall because considering the length of the film, they could've fit the original story into this, instead they chose to make Dave an all around winner, and Big Daddy's actions just.

F*cking Hollywood...

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
Great article, Bob. I will admit that i only ever read parts of the book Kick-Ass (i say parts because i really do detest Rob Liefeld's art,) and from what i read of it, i wasn't to offended. If anything, i thought it was pretty awesome. I mean think about femal superheroes:

Wonder-Woman: she can kick ass, but shes still kind of just sex appeal. she is also an adult, which makes people believe she is less vulnerable than a child.

Cat-woman: see wonderwoman

Starfire/Raven/Mary Marvel/ any other female members of the Titans: i dont really have much to say about this, but they do kick ass, and they are vulnerable, but they aren't 11.

which brings me to hit-girl: she can kick ass, but in the eyes of many parents, shes everything that people see as what their children will turn into when exposed to violence.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Furburt said:
The problem with hit girl is that for some reason, children can't be violent. Especially girls. All little girls must be twee little angels, with hearts of gold.

Fuck that, children are just as fucked up as the rest of us. Perhaps more so in places.

I'm glad that Hit Girl exists, it's another taboo to be broken down, and that's nothing but a good thing. Rest assured, no sane 11 year old is going to go and kill someone because they saw Hit Girl do it, that's not how people work, the more taboos get broken, the more people can actually just accept the world as it is and stop deluding themselves.

I enjoyed seeing her kick the shit out of people, especially because those she did kill were horrible murderers themselves. Sure, it made me uncomfortable, but it's a bloody movie, and I'm glad I've gotten over it. It's nice to see empowered women in films, and it's nice to see empowered children (not just "save the children" moralising), like in Home Alone, but put them together, and somehow it offends? I have a suspicious feeling that if it was a little girl in Home Alone, someone would complain about it.

I have no respect when Roger Ebert marks down Kick Ass totally just because he's offended by one element of it.

Great article, though.
True, most people get's more sane as they grow up. And if you ask me i would say that almost all children are fucked up.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
If parents bring their children to see this and their daughter wants to be hit girl, they ony have them selves to blaim for bringing them to a movie with a swear word in the title.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
To much information!! *brain explodes from all the text that I read through for some strange reason*. As a fan of anime anyone can be anything so I am not shocked at much. I find it funny how contradictory the American public is......

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
For the people who have an issue with her age; what is the age where it becomes okay to kill people?

Rhino of Steel

Sep 29, 2008
There likely are a lot of parallels to anime characters when it comes to Hit Girl but we may end up seeing a more PG 13 version of her from western sources in a few years if the Avatar: The Last Airbender movies pan out (not that I'm hopeful of that) in the form of Azula. She shares a lot of the unexpected levels of violence with Hit Girl albeit without blood and cursing. Still a young, sociopathic female who is more than willing and even eager to use violence as the first option though.

And holy crap, I had forgotten about Baby's Day Out but I loved that movie when I was younger. The slapstick comedy in it was incredibly well executed and likely amplified due to it being caused primarily by a toddler. I'm tempted to watch that again now but it likely wouldn't hold up quite as well as nostalgia is making it seem.

Keith_F

Mar 3, 2010
I was actually wondering what Bob's thoughts on the reviews of Ebert and other critics were. Interesting to read. I still haven't fully formed my opinion about Hit Girl (other than that I though she was awesome), but I agree with Bob that she's a character that resists a comfortable middle ground. There's something very right and very wrong with her.

One thing that I am sure of is my wife's reaction. When we were leaving the theater she told me that every girl should be made to watch Kick Ass so they can see a genuinely strong young female character. My wife is also awesome.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Hit-Girl is nothing new. Evil young girls have exsisted for ages already, and you see them in multiple movies/games/anime/manga/books. Fun? I guess. Revolutionary or "finally breaking the taboo"? Nah.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Very nice article, Bob!
I think the taboo exists primarily because we want to delude ourselves into thinking that children aren't capable of violence, although that is clearly false. How many times have you seen a child step on insects for fun, or torture small animals for the same reason? Face it, humans are animals, and pretty damn violent animals at that (wars, etc). We are able to function, because we band together in society. We attempt to suppress our violent tendencies, but they still exist. The character of Hit Girl is just an extreme vision of what we truly are (from what I can gather, I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet).

Anyway, if some kid imitates her behavior, there is something seriously wrong with that child and its parents. Blame stupid people, not movies/media/games/books/playdough.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I think people are too stuck in contemporary times.

Yes, she is young. But, it did add an intresting layer, and something new.

After all don't see a 11 year old kicking backside everyday