What's the Quickest You've Ever Given Up on a Game?

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Overall: Mass Effect. I played through the tutorial and returned it.

In terms of gameplay: Tera. After painstakingly creating perfect waifu I started the game and decided that I couldn't stand the UI and controls.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Wasteland 2. I tried really hard with this game....
People said this had good choices and story.
Then I found out that you fight mutant animals, train people and that was enough
Some of the dialogue choices actually changed after you pressed it, similar to a Mass Effect (where clicked on paraphrases on the dialogue wheel). But some were wildly different from the original. I reloaded and check - I didn't press a different option, they just didn't copy and paste.
The choice made no difference as far as I got. Fallout 3 had way better consequences. I took a prisoner out so he could show me something for a lead. The general said make sure you bring him back, but it didn't matter what you did. He just forgot. Freeing him, killing him or taking him back meant nothing. A whole heap of frustration

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

While it doesn't help that I didn't like the transition from the FE 2D game to a 3d screen (it wasn't the graphic issue, the battle animation is so slow in 3D). It is made worse that I had to played a character I found to be unlikeable (Micah) in the first part of the campaign. I just hate her attitude toward Ike, the hero from the last game. Yes I get her nation was in ruin after the first game but it was like a Nazi telling us they did no wrong during WW2. Seriously, since I hated the main character, why should I help her in the fist place?

Ok sure I did finish her campaign but it pretty much put me in a bad mood that stop me from playing anymore of it!

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
The Simpsons: Road Rage

Got it as part of a bundle when I bought my Gamecube. Played for about 40 mins. Brought it back to the store the next day and traded it in. If you haven't played it (and I don't recommend you do) it's a Crazy Taxi rip off that they somehow managed to remove all the fun from

Yoshilord

Mar 20, 2016
System Shock 2- I don't think it's aged well at all, and throws way too many gameplay mechanics at you at once in the tutorial.

Bloodborne- I liked the atmosphere and the first few fights...but then I got stuck and lacked the determination to keep going, partly because of the loading times. I might come back to it sometime.

Amnesia TTD - I got it for free before SOMA was released on steam. I wasn't that interested to begin with, I definitely wouldn't have bought it. I played a little, then stopped since I figured it would be nothin' but horror, which gets exhausting for me pretty quickly.

Limbo- I quit after about a half hour. Unlike the other games where I understand the appeal, I'm really confused about the praise for this one. The puzzles are really annoyingly trial and error, which killed the horror aspects for me. I found the visuals sort of boring and a bit flat, even if they're supposed to be simplistic. I dunno about the whole story, but from what I heard it seems to be purposefully vague? That gives me no reason to go back to it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Probably Final Fantasy V which I played for about 10 minutes before getting bored. Or if that doesn't count, then Tales of the Abyss which I played for about half an hour before getting absolutely sick of the protagonist.

Dec 10, 2012
Demons' Souls (is that how you spell it?). My brother loves the game and after watching him play a ton of it, I gave it a shot, and after about two hours of fumbling around, absolutely whiffing on parries and getting skewered by every enemy above basic skeletons, I gave it up.

Weird part is, a year later I decided to try Dark Souls, I'm not even sure why, and it didn't take long for me to catch up to it and it became one of my favorite games.

I've often wondered if I could go back and translate my Souls skills to the original, but that first attempt just makes me feel really sour about it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Happyninja42 said:
For me, it was Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. I LOVED the first game. Like, whole bunches. So I was super psyched for game 2 when I heard about it. I bought it....and started playing the game...and it sucked. It was such a harsh tonal shift from the first game, that it felt like an entirely different franchise. And then, about 15 minutes into the tutorial level...I get the Ass Shot. Anyone who's played it knows what I'm talking about. The FULL SCREEN, slow motion closeup, of the metal thonged ass of our antagonist woman. I saw that, and just stopped playing. I knew at that point, that whatever the developers were aiming for with the tone of the game, it was not for me.

Now, let me be clear. I have nothing against asses, especially not female asses in thongs. Hell I love closeup shots of them too. Given that my favorite sexual position always gives me a wonderful view of my lady's fine booty, the shot in itself isn't the problem, it's that in that game, it was so out of character, and out of tone, that it just dragged me out of my excitement for the game, and made me never touch it again.
Oh god, don't even get me started on Warrior Within. I wish my brother and I did quit after 15 minutes. We got the game at launch, and beat it about week and a half later. One of the dumbest decisions Ubisoft ever made (it was their dumbest at the time). In terms of tonal shift, Warrior Within is right up there with Devil May Cry 2. I'll tell you what Ubi was thinkin: Let's be so. Damn. EDGY!

Ratchet & Clank (PS4) - I stopped after the first two missions. I never cared for the series to being with, so that may have been part of it.

Final Fantasy XIII - Quit when I got to the 8 hour mark. The wait was not worth it, and this convinced me not buy anything from Square Enix ever again; until Nier: Automata was announced.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I think I got like 45-60 seconds into disgaea 4? 5? 3? I don't know, it was the first attempt at the series anyway, even though it emanated anime bullshit, I thought I'd at least start up the game and give the dialogue and game a chance. Meanwhile my brain was going "please don't be anime bullshit, please don't be anime bullshit" as the game loaded.
Then dialogue began. It was about the 3rd of 4th line that broke my tolerance for shitty dialogue and noped the fuck outta there never to return again.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I gave up on Demon's Souls about 3/4 of the way through the tutorial...

I gave FF13 about 2 hours.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
Saints Row 2 in about 90 min. It bored me to death, I did not enjoy the gameplay at all. Thankfully it was cheap af.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
For me it probably would be Risen 2.
The reason were the animations. The characters arms were just aimlessly flailing around.
It looks as if Piranha Bytes had an octopus do the mo-cap for them.

Scarim Coral said:
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

While it doesn't help that I didn't like the transition from the FE 2D game to a 3d screen (it wasn't the graphic issue, the battle animation is so slow in 3D). It is made worse that I had to played a character I found to be unlikeable (Micah) in the first part of the campaign. I just hate her attitude toward Ike, the hero from the last game. Yes I get her nation was in ruin after the first game but it was like a Nazi telling us they did no wrong during WW2. Seriously, since I hated the main character, why should I help her in the fist place?

Ok sure I did finish her campaign but it pretty much put me in a bad mood that stop me from playing anymore of it!
I had something similar with Golden Sun 2 but I didn't count it since I didn't really gave it a chance.
In that game you start as the characters that you have been hunting in Golden Sun 1, I think. It's been a few years since I played it.
And since I don't play the bad guy in games I decided to not play it.
The problem here was that I played it during a very interesting university lecture. And my seatmate didn't agree with my assessment that they are the bad guys. This might or might not have devolved into a loud argument with plenty of shouting.
To be honest: I absolutely believe that the guys in Golden Sun 2 might turn out to be the good guys in the end. I seem to remember that it was a beholder that told you they are evil and beholders are not exactly trust-worthy.

Felstaff

Sep 19, 2011
Max Payne 3

Not that it wasn't great, but I hit a bug within the first hour, and got stuck crouched up against a wall. Annoyed at being stuck, I simply exited the game, and never played it again.

I'll probably go back to it at some point, but my catalogue backlogue is immense. I still have to complete games from 2006 in there.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
However long it takes a non-stupid player to get from the Human!Noble starting area to just past Ostagar in DragonAge: Origins, that was the fastest.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
DeadProxy said:
Mass Effect Andromeda. I looked at the character creator and what it offers, and felt violently ill. Wish I never bought it. That's not even a "jokey" answer. It's just so bad that I don't want to play it.
Time to quit: 20-30 minutes.
Fascinating answer. I never expected the quality of a character creator to be a TRUE deal breaker for people. I just imagine if this was the game quality of Mass Effect 2 but had the character creator of Andromeda that you'd have missed out on one of the best games ever made and been perfectly validated by your decision regardless of external praise and hype.

On Topic:

Grand Theft Auto 4 or Command and Conquer 4. I don't remember which was quicker.

GTA4 was a game I bought purely off hype. So many perfect 10's and praises for GOTY...I had my first ever PS console and so I checked it out. My gripes with the game is that TO ME it tried doing a ton of things and failed to do any of them truly well. I felt like I was playing the equivalent of a Party game version of driving, gun combat, hand to hand combat, etc. Nothing felt rewarding or satisfying to me. It was all simply competent. I quickly sold the game to a friend for near full price since they were going to buy it anyways but couldn't go on launch day.

C&C4 is more obvious if you've played it. This is a game where I put more time into it than I should have out of love for the franchise up till then. Still, after a few short play sessions spread out over a couple of days I just accepted that this wasn't the game I wanted and put it down for good. Kudos for them taking a risk and trying something new...I'm genuinely happy that this game exists but taking risks to push your genre into a new direction doesn't always work and C&C4 is a prime example of that.

Felstaff

Sep 19, 2011
There's a lot of people saying GTA IV, and since GTA V's come out, I can see why. IV was supposed to be a huge step forward from the trilogy of GTA III, and graphically it was (although lack of antialiasing gave the game a real jaggedy jaggedness), but in reality it was mainly a series of minor mechanical improvements to III/Vice City/San Andreas. It was like they'd taken III and given it a makeover via bug lists and burndown charts. Sure, maps, collision detection, physics, animation, controls, and modelling must have had their own headings on the dev whiteboard, but really IV should have been a ground-up game using the lessons learned from the previous games, rather than a new iteration of an existing game with shiny new graphics.

They failed to improve where the series was really lacking: a good script for a start. Vice City and San Andreas had had very strong protagonists, with deep characterisation, but great voice acting can't cover up the crappiness of the woefully shoddy dialogue. IV was no different; you literally spend 45 seconds silent in a car before a woman who's never met you before says "you look like a guy I could really get to know better!" in a style known as wooden ham. The Slavic way of never using the definite article ("where is ladies with big titties?") got pretty tiring pretty fast. The introduction was a lesson in what not to do when writing a story: it was just a list of "here's the safehouse, here's the girlfriend's house, and here's the bowling alley, now how do we get the player from one to the other in the shortest amount of time?" Show, fellas, don't tell.

Stylistically speaking, it hadn't the neon 80s machismo of Vice City with its new wave Sonny/Rico rolled-sleeve suits and jetskis, nor the Summer-of-Spike-Lee grime of San Andreas; it came across as a mishmash of a roaring-twenties-era industrial juggernaut, but with 50s muscle cars and Dragnet-era police cars sharing tarmac with Nokia-wielding soccer moms in SUVs. All in all, a hodgepodge of styles and eras that grates badly.

Whilst we've rarely sympathised with main characters in any of the series, at least there was the boundary-pushing gaming world to immerse oneself in; all three of the III games expanded the universe exponentially, and were new places to get lost in. IV doesn't feel that much bigger. It feels more cluttered. The roads are cramped, the traffic dumb and heavy, and the vehicular physics--cars feel like they have zero weight and seem to skate along the streets--aren't suited to the labyrinthine corridor-like streets of Liberty City. This annoyed me, and I never really put my finger on it 'til I played V: cars in V feel oh-so-much heavier, with real heft and drag to them. With nearly any vehicle in the game, you can sense the weight and torque the moment you get out of first gear. Pick up a good speed and feel the thrill of driving half-a-tonne of steel, as you wend in and out across long, wide roads; real excitement not captured since an early Need for Speed game. IV is a lesson in braking sharply for every turn, because your car's going to spin around like Bambi on ice in ballerina shoes the moment you hit 30 knots-per-hour, and take an age to come to a stop. 50-yard stopping distances might be more how driving in real life works, but realism in driving is boring; you want excitement in a game like this; cars that pack a punch and make a crunch, not slippy-slidey skatey weightless physics.

I only got a few hours into it, myself. Having completed Vice City at 100%, and spent all of summer 2004 on my uni mate's PS2 for San Andreas, it's surprising at how little I cared for IV. It was just III remade with a new graphics engine. V was such a massive departing from all of that, which is why I think the series got back on track after going dangerously stagnant with IV.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
I'd say the Tomb Raider reboot.

And this is after I already got sick of Lara's shit well in to the original series.

The gameplay was honestly pretty alright and I found myself enjoying it when it made it my obligation to go out and make the weapons less shite. Still wish that they let us trade the bow for a dual handgun combo because then I'd actually be able to tolerate my biggest gripe with Tomb Raider.

The Tomb Raider herself.

I swear to God if it's not the weird messiah complex everyone has for Lara, it's how horrific the transition between Game Lara and Cutscene Lara is.

In game, Lara somehow manages to McGuyver a fracking AK out of on old WWI era submachine gun and then proceeds to easily mow down hundreds of people without even breaking a sweat. And this is on top of her murdering people with an icepick of all things for lack of a proper melee weapon. Sounds pretty good so far right? She's resourceful, knows how to handle herself and knows how to make do with what she has. But this brings us to.....

Story Lara, the lone young lady who's been forced in to a brutal landscape and has to make it on her own, the poor thing! No proper training with weapons and never having been stuck in such intense living conditions on top of everyone wanting to kill her. What will the young lass do?!

Oh right, kill hundreds upon hundreds of people while making a Grand Theft Auto character's kill count blush. And all this on TOP of crying and moping while horrifically wrenching an icepick from a man's knee cap up through his guts. Seriously, if they actually played up the sociopathic killer angle then a lot of Lara's bipolarness would be explained.

But then she's also the biggest freaking moron I've ever witnessed come to life on a screen. Ernest Fights the Viet Kong would've made a more comprehensible and emotional experience than watching Lara BLATANTLY NOT DO ANYTHING WHILE ONE OF HER FRIENDS GETS TACKLED OFF A FREAKING TOWER AND TO HIS DEATH WHEN SHE COULD HAVE EASILY FUCKING SHOT THE THREE ASSHOLES THAT HELD HIM HOSTAGE WITHOUT GETTING A SCRATCH ON HIM. And this is after she also let an innocent pilot get his guts splattered across a boardwalk by some dick with a machete because she decided that instead of actually shooting the bastards and saving somebody she'd just stand there drooling like a braindead parrot while going "OH BOOOOHOOOO POOOR MEEEE, EVERYONE IS DYIIIIIING" Fuck you Lara you could have saved him without so much as moving an inch from where you were standing and you know it you psychotic lying ****.

And then comes the point where I just couldn't handle the idiot anymore. The part where even though she's fought freaking Onis of all the freaking things while gunning down several dozen more of the dickwads on the Island on collapsing ancient structures, she's landslided down several cliffs and rivers while blasting debris out of her way with a fucking TRENCH GUN and MANAGES TO SURVIVE THIS 6 DIFFERENT TIMES, AND SHE ONLY HAD THE TRENCH GUN FOR THE LAST TWO, she's also a lone early 20s something college brat who somehow manages to make an armed cult with BODY ARMOR AND RIOT SHIELDS get startled because they can't manage to kill her, and that's ON TOP OF FIGHTING OFF THE WILDLIFE AS WELL, WHAT DOES SHE DO WHEN SHE SEES HER BESTFRIEND IS ABOUT TO BE BURNED AT THE STAKE, she of course takes action, correct?

Correct. HOW DOES SHE TAKE ACTION?

INSTEAD OF USING HER GRENADES, INSTEAD OF USING HER HANDGUN THAT I SPENT HOURS GETTING PARTS FOR, INSTEAD OF USING THE FREAKING FULLY LOADED ASSAULT RIFLE SHE JUST CRAFTED, OR THE TRENCH GUN THAT CAN SHOOT OUT DEBRIS IN FREAKING WALL SIZED CHUNKS, INSTEAD OF DOING FREAKING ANYTHING ELSE, WHAT DOES SHE DO?

HERP DA DERP I'M LEGOLAS

And shoots ONE guy. One guy is all she shoots before about a dozen people who want her dead charge her. Does she fucking ditch the stupid Bow and Arrow set and switch back to the abnormal amounts of heat she's packing?

BA FREAKING HUMBUG SHE JUST SHOOTS SOME OTHER GUY AND GETS THE CRAP BEAT OUT OF HER. I thought initially this was that stupid thing where even though you're packing more heavy weapons equipment to make a redneck with a nuke feel threatened for some reason the character only has the one shitty weapon in cutscenes and promptly gets beaten down. And I already hate that, so imagine how much more irritated I felt when THEY FREAKING TURNED HER OVER AND TOOK OFF HER SHOTGUN AND ASSAULT RIFLE FROM HER. SHE HAD EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO DO IT LIKE SHE HAS BEEN DOING IT FOR THE PAST TWO DAYS AS SHE'S SHOWN SHE CAN MANAGE.

And how many times does this happen in game? Oh right, IT'S THEIR PRIMARY FREAKING STRATEGY. You can't even say she couldn't run away because just to get to that spot she walked past a WIDE OPEN HALLWAY THAT SHE COULD RUN AND GUN FROM LIKE SHE'S BEEN DOING ALL GAME.

And that, was it. I was done. I couldn't take this idiocy anymore. At least when I'm playing Uncharted, everyone knows Nathan is a God Damn idiot. At least when I play something like Far Cry 3, we're SUPPOSED to notice that Jason is getting more and more detached from the trustfund baby he used to be and is becoming a cold-blooded killer. HERE I'M APPARENTLY SUPPOSED TO BE ROOTING FOR THIS DUMBASS SO AIN'T THAT A HOOT?

That's 12 hours of my life I'm not getting back. And it was my brother's game too so it had the lowest possible expectations going in and still managed to piss me off.

TL;DR, The new Lara Croft is poo and you are lying if you think otherwise.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
If I recall it was the game Blood Knights. It only cost like 99 cents if I recall and looked mildly interesting. I started it up, fought the first fight, quit, uninstalled, and then placed it in my Steam category of "Unneeded Shite".

Edit: Total game time of 2 minutes.