What's the strangest thing to ever happen to your body/mind?

Feb 7, 2016
Sexual encounters being barred, what's the weirdest experience you've had with yourself? Such as staying up for days straight and hallucinating, or sleepwalking to a store only to wake up with a job, or whatever the hell else that's happened to you.

It could have been induced by a perscription drug, or simply from a sizable bonk to the noggin.

Mine's a bit tame in comparison to many, I'm sure, but I have hallucinated literally every time I've taken a perscription sleep aid.
I once took a pill to help me sleep the day before Christmas because I get really anxious before holidays, and after a rush of tingliness came over my body and into my toes and fingertips, I began to have this hallucination that the camel from Camel brand cigarettes (where he had dark shades, a leather jacket, and was depicted as a biker) came into my room to talk to me about how cool the posters on my wall were.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Mine Would be the time I got hit by a truck. I remember very little but I was apparently rather delirious. I was Talking intermittently but at length about The Buckingham Palace guards(I live in texas)... This continued as the doctors in the hospital peeled back a loose flap of my scalp to wash the bits of road out before stitching it up.

Morphine is a hell of a drug. I was high as a kite for like 4 days. I remember fuzzily stories about rabbits.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
Once I closed my eyes and I swore I saw a face or whatever. As I am lily-livered and am a pure hypochondriac this was effectively a jumpscare.

Then again, compared to the guy above me, that is nothing. I really hope I never have to take morphine in any shape or form.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
A few times in my life I've had the feeling of, at least what I imagine is, non-existence. The first time was when I was 10 and I proceeded to run to my parents room and cry like a baby. The other times over the years have at least just left me very unnerved and shaken.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
There was this one time, me and my family were vacationing with my aunt and cousins at a rented beach house. We were 4 kids, ages around 10, and we were all sleeping in the same bedroom. I woke up in the middle of the night from a nightmare that shook me up real bad (though I can't recall anything about it now); as I sat up on the bed, I noticed there seemed to be someone sitting on a chair in the opposite corner of the room. I could barely make it out in the complete dark, but it seemed to me that it was my uncle (who may or may not have actually been with us in the house that day - I'm not sure ).

I stared at that more-or-less indistinct figure for a while. It was him, I was almost sure; but then, why the hell would he be sitting in the dark, seemingly doing nothing but watch us sleep? After I don't know how long (probably no more than a minute or two, though it felt longer), I whispered "uncle?".

The image then seemed to slowly blur and dissolve, and soon all that was left was an empty corner.

Needless to say, that did no favors for my already nightmare-shaken, 10-year old mind. I honestly don't remember how I managed to sleep again that night.

Feb 7, 2016
Ogoid said:
There was this one time, me and my family were vacationing with my aunt and cousins at a rented beach house. We were 4 kids, ages around 10, and we were all sleeping in the same bedroom. I woke up in the middle of the night from a nightmare that shook me up real bad (though I can't recall anything about it now); as I sat up on the bed, I noticed there seemed to be someone sitting on a chair in the opposite corner of the room. I could barely make it out in the complete dark, but it seemed to me that it was my uncle (who may or may not have actually been with us in the house that day - I'm not sure ).

I stared at that more-or-less indistinct figure for a while. It was him, I was almost sure; but then, why the hell would he be sitting in the dark, seemingly doing nothing but watch us sleep? After I don't know how long (probably no more than a minute or two, though it felt longer), I whispered "uncle?".

The image then seemed to slowly blur and dissolve, and soon all that was left was an empty corner.

Needless to say, that did no favors for my already nightmare-shaken, 10-year old mind. I honestly don't remember how I managed to sleep again that night.
Holy hell, that'd be freaky as a kid. I know I see figures in the dark all the time, but after some brief frightened staring I could usually debunk it as a jacket hanging on a door or the silhouette of a chair. Can't say I've witnessed it dissolve though.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Holy hell, that'd be freaky as a kid. I know I see figures in the dark all the time, but after some brief frightened staring I could usually debunk it as a jacket hanging on a door or the silhouette of a chair. Can't say I've witnessed it dissolve though.
It was. Though curiously enough, at first it actually felt comforting to see my uncle there - you know, "at least I'm not the only one awake in the entire house"... but as my head cleared enough for me to ask myself "but what the hell would he be doing sitting in our room, in the dark, in the middle of the night?", plus the fact I couldn't make out for certain whether it was him, the whole thing quickly became rather unsettling.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
For me, it?d have to be sleep paralysis. At the deepest levels of sleep (REM sleep,) the part of your brain that controls motor functions like your arms and legs shuts down and prevents you from moving in your sleep. Sleep paralysis occurs when you wake up and are conscious before that part of your brain turns back on fully; you?re wide awake, as awake as you are now reading this text, but aren?t able to move. It?s absolutely terrifying which triggers fear responses and often leads to threatening hallucinations. The first time it happened to me, I awoke, unable to move, and saw the back of another person?s head on my pillow; I started to panic and hyperventilate, and that?s when the head rolled over to face me and reveal a charred skull. I started losing my shit at that point, still couldn?t move, and the skull started to shriek louder and louder to the point my ears started ringing. Then, like it never happened, the skull disappeared and I was able to move again. I jumped out of bed, turned on every light in my apartment and chain smoked 3 cigarettes trying to calm back down.

I researched it the next day and found out about sleep paralysis. Being able to scientifically explain it helps; fortunately it happens rarely and usually after I?ve been drinking heavily. Other hallucinations I?ve had have been people walking into my room and getting in my face making threatening gestures and dogs jumping on my bed and sniffing my face. It all feels 100% real, but I force myself not to panic; being awake and coherent helps me rationalize until it passes, usually a minute or so. Fun fact, historian speculate that sleep paralysis might well have been a big reason for witch hunts. Simpler folk would experience sleep paralysis and see their neighbors in their room at night and claim to have been bewitched by them. Another ?explanation? led to the phrase ?Hag-ridden.? People believed that a succubus or witch was sitting on their chest (riding them) preventing from moving when they awoke.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
When the Sims 3 first came out, I spent three consecutive days playing it in the dark of my room, not sleeping and being fueled by energy drinks.

My eyes were bloodshot for two weeks after that.

Feb 7, 2016
Sonmi said:
When the Sims 3 first came out, I spent three consecutive days playing it in the dark of my room, not sleeping and being fueled by energy drinks.

XD holy crap, was it just a case of lost time? Like, did you know that days were passing by or was it a shocking realization afterward?

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Sonmi said:

XD holy crap, was it just a case of lost time? Like, did you know that days were passing by or was it a shocking realization afterward?
It really was a case of lost time.

The fact that I was on break (and thus didn't really have any obligations) and had just bought so many energy drinks contributed to my zombified state. I was more shocked after waking up (and sleeping for a day straight) than at any time during the bender.

Feb 7, 2016
Ezekiel said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Ezekiel said:
Can't think of anything. I guess some moments of dizziness and disorientation. I've also started getting brain zaps again, which I thought stopped when I learned the cause ten years ago.
Brain zaps?
Imagine you're calmly sitting at your computer or lying in bed and suddenly something that feels a quick but powerful electric shock blasts through your brain, making you jump slightly and your heart race. The sensation is over in less than a second. It's caused by depression and doubt.
Well. That certainly sounds uncomfortable. I hope it's something that's able to be suppressed for your sake.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I've had a few times where medicine has affected me weirdly.

A couple of years ago I had a very bad infection and was in the ER (it later turned out to be septicaemia). While waiting to be seen I think I started to go into shock because I began shaking uncontrollably. They kept asking me if I was in pain and giving me pills to take. So by the time I was going to see the doctor I was off my face. I had no idea where I was or why I was there. On the way to see the doctor I vaguely remember being wheeled past a flight of stairs going down and very politely asking the guy wheeling me to not throw me down the stairs "even though it would be funny" - my words, not his. When I eventually came back to myself I phoned my mother straight away because she didn't know that I was in hospital. Except she did, apparently I had figured out the bed-phone while and rung her while I was "high as a kite".

Another time was more recently when I was going through some shit and ended up being put on diazapam for a few days so that I could sleep. Except diazapam turns me into a fucking zombie. I nearly got into quite a lot of trouble at work because my boss thought I was mad at him because of the way I was walking around emotionless all day. Having to take him aside and explain that I'm not angry, just on drugs- that was kind of funny.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I woke up one morning and my right hand didn't work. Specifically, I could make a fist easily enough, but opening it up was impossible. I shook it around because I thought I had slept on it. I ended up going to work, but by 9:00 A.M. I was freaking out enough to go to a doctor. It turned out to be radial mono-neuropathy. Basically nerve damage. They said most people make a full recovery within a few months.

Good lord, the things we take for granted. Everything became more difficult. Tying my shoes, buttoning my shirt, signing my name. I couldn't drink and smoke at the same time. Not to mention... That's my jerkin hand. Also, apparently this can happen to your leg!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The only one that count to my mind was my mind was overthinking like I cannot stop thinking about anything or I just randomly think of anything one night. This was when I woke up and trying to get back to sleep. I had to get out of bed and went to the toliet to get my mind to thinking on a singular level.

Another time was waking up and my mind was still half alseep to the point that I was question myself if my mum is really mum?

Just to be clear, the above stuff doesn't happened to me that oftern.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Well there was this one time in high school where I was walking across one of the fields to my car. Now, I had a tendency to look at the ground about 5 or 6 feet in front of me as I walked, so I was rarely particularly aware of my surroundings. Things were always a bit chaotic at that time, but there was this weird moment where everything just seemed to go quiet. Confused by this, I looked up and saw a mechanical pencil flying at my head at what seemed to be...I don't know, a third of the speed it should have. Still confused, I moved my head to the side and watched it fly by, at which point everything went back to normal. Took me about 5 seconds after that to realize that that could have hit my eye.

What I've read about similar phenomena suggests that it's a trick of the memory, but the part that weirds me out is that I distinctly remember my confusion about everything suddenly feeling 'off' as what made me look up and see the pencil in the first place. Granted, that too could be a trick of the memory. At any rate, that's the weirdest thing I can think of off the top of my head.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Around my middle-teens I had one episode of a "night terror", where I woke up unable to move and seeing a large shape (imagine a jet-black skeletal creature like some sort of warped dragon) hovering a few feet over me. Over the course of what felt like five minutes the shape faded away, and only when it had completely vanished could I actually move again.

It's never happened again since.