What's the worst example of bad science in a film you've watched?

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Queen Michael said:
That you can hear explosions and laserguns in space.
It's the worst because the film-makers can't even plead ignorance - everybody knows about this.
Because sci fi movies would be so much better in abject silence.

Max_imus

Jul 8, 2010
G.I. Joe. Sometime during the climactic showdown battle you see how explosions rip apart a solid sheet of ice. And the shards SINK TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA.

I didn't know if I should cry or laugh at that.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
Khitchary said:
FAIL. Ok .... you are all arguing about something that is really stupid in regards the *can you hear lasers in space*.

1. There is no *science* to show that we will ever be having *space ships* or *laser weapons*.
2. There is no life any place near earth, so even if we did develop these ships (which we cannot and will not) we would only have each other to fight, as there is no other inhabitable planet with the distance you could travel in a life time even IF you could travel at light speed.

Science FICTION. That implies make believe. As in the people making know it isnt real. It is not supposed to be real. It is never based on real science, no one has ever claimed that it was. Even science fiction written by scientists does not use real science.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAL-1

Just accept that movies are make believe, and you may enjoy them a little more (although tbh i think 4/5 movies made are rubbish if not more, but that has to do with terrible acting/directing/script writing etc.......)
We do have operating laser weaponry. Sure, its ineffiecent and not that useful, and had to be mounted on a boeing 747, but it worked to an extent. So yeah, there is *science* for laser weaponry.

Spaceships? How about that which took those yanks to the moon? It may have been called a rocket, but the science is there.

How about colony (generation) ships? Our physics model is not yet complete and science marches on: we very well may be able to twist dimensions around us to travel. We wont know until we've tried everything.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
superbatranger said:
The Austin said:
Queen Michael said:
That you can hear explosions and laserguns in space.
It's the worst because the film-makers can't even plead ignorance - everybody knows about this.
I've tried thinking of a way to do this in a movie, and I just can't.

Imagine if you will, a movie in which a giant epic space battle is taking place, all while no sound is heard. It would be boring.

Really, really boring.
Do it like the silent movies of the early 20's and throw in some intertitles?
Hahahah! "Boom" and "Laser Sound".

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier

I prefer movies that are campy, cheesy and riffable to boring nonsense that destroys their respective franchises.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
DVSAurion said:
Terminate421 said:
666 is actually 999 which takes us to the year 1999.......
End of Days FTW. That movie is just about as bad as a movie gets. Still a lot of fun though.
Actually, I can think of a much worse movie, the worst ever in fact.

Damoclies

Sep 15, 2010
Oh, by the way. You can buy a DIY kit to make an actual goddamn blaster rifle. That runs on AA batteries. http://www.amazing1.com/burning-lasers.htm#_blank

Just think. You could rob someone, and what do you think the cops would do when they guy tells them that they were just robbed at laserpoint?