What's the Worst Fake British Accent You've Heard in a Film or TV Show?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (the Kevin Cosner one) and no I can't decide who was worse. At least Christian Slater tried...not very well but there was an attempt.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
George144 said:
Disaster Button said:
George144 said:
RebelRising said:
The ones in the Fable games come to mind. It was so overdone, and it resulted in them speaking slower than usual, when British typically speak faster (compared to American accents). Painful.
Many people actually talk like that. It's all the northeners accents mostly all speak slowly and unintelligibly:)
I take offense to that. I'm a northerner and I don't speak slowly or without intelligence. Same goes for most people I know
I wasn't being entirely serious hence the :) at the end, though I guess this proves Northernes have no sense of humour either .).
Oh it's on like Donkey Kong.

Besides the lack of :) means I was joking too. Incidentally, your statement proves you're ignorant :)

Cairo

Mar 11, 2009
Keanu Reeves in Dracula. Then again, he is the worst part of that movie, so it's conceptually sound.

Deathkingo

Aug 10, 2009
Keeanu Reaves has a horrible Floridian accent in The Devil's Advocate. It only works half the time. I know its not the same as a British accent, but its just so bad I thought it should be addressed.

klc0100

Feb 29, 2008
JimmyBassatti said:
klc0100 said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Its not funny

please stop.

From the little of the fable 2 cast they all had pretty bad accents.
Of course, I'm obviously trolling :p
But please, let me show you to the threads created by people to cause flame wars, since they aren't trolling?
That's what mods are for.

rs2000

Apr 16, 2009
Terramax said:
I was watching an episode of 'Murder, She Wrote' earlier and in this episode the main character goes to England to meet a cousin or something. God was I not prepared for what was in store. I was nearly on the ground laughing throughout the whole episodes as to how bad the British accents were played off by all the other characters.

My guess was the majority of these actors were Americans with fake Brit accents, equip with words I'm not sure I've ever heard someone in the UK ever use before such as blimey, blighty, bloody, etc (why all the B words I do not know).

Anyhow, this rates alongside the most hilariously inaccurate Brit accents along with Dick Van Dyke in Merry Poppins. Now I have a few questions.

1.) what is everyone's top fav terrible fake Brit accent in a film or TV show?

2.) Thoughts from everyone (English and non-English) about what they think of this fantastic phenomenon that's been going on for only too many years. I for one used to be quite offended by American's faking Brit accents, but now I find them one of the most entertaining things in a film/ show.
I caught some of the very same episode at work, i thought she was her twin! & yes the accents were terrible!

Van Dykes was all so a terrible accent as well as an i hate to say it, Depp's accent in Sweeny Todd, it was like a poor version of jack sparrow's!

ugeine

Aug 6, 2009
I was watching Entourage lately, there's some crap British accents in that.

I think, as well, there's an actual British Accent, such as scouse, or Brummie, and then there's the American perception of a British accent, which is usually just a generic posh one.

Must work both ways though, I always wondered what Americans thought of Jimmy McNulty's accent in The Wire.

LopezMeister

Apr 13, 2009
chstens said:
I love making fun of the stereotypical upperclass brit, and I always use phrases and words like "Tallyho!" and "Pip-pip!" Quite entertaining, of course, I have yet to meet a brit that speaks like that.
I speak like this (with the exception of Pip-pip), I'm not exactly upper class, it's just where you come from in the country. I move around a lot and have never really had the chance to develop a proper accent although my accent is a lot less "posh" than it used to be.

Also, the "stereotypical" British accent is called the "newsreader" accent. This is because it was the accent with which newsreaders on the radio/TV spoke. Presumably it became "stereotypical" because American soldiers stationed in Britain would hear the broadcasts and associate it with the British and then it stuck.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Faps said:
Whoever did the voice of Obi-wan in that awful Clone Wars cartoon movie.
That would be James Arnold Taylor. I think they were just aiming to get someone that sounded like Ewan Macgregor, but at a lower price.

xmetatr0nx said:
Madonna, she has the worst fake british accent thing ive ever heard. Its so damn abnoxious.
I am in agreement with this, and for the same reason. That's why I avoid listening to her and her songs (if you can call them such).

Aloran

Oct 9, 2008
chstens said:
I love making fun of the stereotypical upperclass brit, and I always use phrases and words like "Tallyho!" and "Pip-pip!" Quite entertaining, of course, I have yet to meet a brit that speaks like that.
Hell, I'm english and I even use those words as a piss take.

"TALLY- HO LADS!"

CountCagliostro

Aug 17, 2009
I particularly enjoy visiting Americans and Australians, both of which groups are wont to put on a posh British accent for laughs, being amazed that Britons do _exactly_ the same thing.

I have a fairly posh accent myself, and I still put on an even posher accent to take the piss.

Chocks away, chaps! Cabbage crates over the briny!

For the record, Dick Van Dyke is the undisputed champion of vile British accents. There is no real competition. This thread should be for the second-worst.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
CountCagliostro said:
For the record, Dick Van Dyke is the undisputed champion of vile British accents. There is no real competition. This thread should be for the second-worst.
Thing is you wouldn't even know he was supposed to be doing an English accent unless you're told in advance. It just sounds like he's got some kind of speech impediment.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
Marq said:
Hugh Laurie in the Blackadder shows. Such a fake accent.

I jest! But seriously, I love the British accents. Especially the girls. It's lovely.
you have got to be fucking wih me! hugh laurie is british you idiot! if you had ever been to england then you would know that hugh has a normal english accent and is a household name in britain! he puts on a fake yankey accent in house!

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
lol! i´m british and i have a prety upper middle class voice but its always good to have a sense of humour about it! i saw a friend of mine who is american and we chatted on webcam so i always said things like "oh jolly good old chap!" or mentioned the word trousers a lot! lolol

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
seagoon said:
Marq said:
Hugh Laurie in the Blackadder shows. Such a fake accent.

I jest! But seriously, I love the British accents. Especially the girls. It's lovely.
you have got to be fucking wih me! hugh laurie is british you idiot! if you had ever been to england then you would know that hugh has a normal english accent and is a household name in britain! he puts on a fake yankey accent in house!
Yes, yes he was, that's what the "I jest!" was indicating.

And I'd have to say some character from Smallville who's name escapes me, but was likely an American actor playing an apparently English character.