What's the Worst Fake British Accent You've Heard in a Film or TV Show?

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
the worst Scottish acsent i've heard was in highlander. a french man playing a Scotsman is not a choice. what was funny was sean conory is in it who is Scottish and hes playing an Egyptian. good movie though.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Jack Atlas. Dear God, Jack Atlas. It's like somebody took an Australian, made him pretend to be American pretending to be middle-class British pretending to have a cockney accent.
Anyone who's ever watched 5Ds will know what I'm talking about >.<

cp.06

Jun 20, 2010
@Jimmy Bassatti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMEe7JqBgvg&feature=fvsr

OT: Downey Jr slipped a few times in Sherlock Holmes. That was cringy.

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
DazZ. said:
JimmyBassatti said:
Also, Nick Frost and Simon Pegg. Such fake accents.
They are British. I met them at a carnival, they talk exactly like I do...
You met Simon Pegg? Of all the actors on the planet, he's one of a handful I'd actually like to meet in person.

Also, since I don't really hear British accents everyday, I can't really comment on what sounds off compared to normal. However, I must say that Hugh Laurie puts on an incredible American accent. So much so that hearing him speak normally is odd.

And a Liverpool accent shouldn't be too unheard of in the States...The Beatles came from Liverpool right? And while accents tend to be downplayed in song, I've heard them speak on numerous occasions (Clearly not live).

Canadian Briton

May 1, 2010
Hah I can beat you all by saying that I have a horrible british accent by being british and having a canadian accent! wait...

Pariah87

Jul 9, 2009
Wadders said:
The guy in Green Street. Not Elijah Wood, the other main character who gets his head punched in. His cockney accent was pretty bad. it made some of his lines sound really forced :(
Yeah and he's not even American, he's Geordie. Which explains why at times, his accent in Sons of Anarchy isn't all that great either.

Worst actual "attemtped" English accent I can think of is the dude with the pony tail from Tango and Cash, seeing as he was seriously trying to do it. Family Guy etc don't really try seeing as the idea is to give the American audiences the biggest laughs.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Fat Man Spoon said:
Most Americans (That I know) seem to assume we all have the same accent.

And I too love the fake British acting.
I love it when Brittish people appear in american films. Independance Day for example:

"It's from the americans!" "Bout Bloody time, wadda they plan to do?"

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
seagoon said:
Marq said:
Hugh Laurie in the Blackadder shows. Such a fake accent.

I jest! But seriously, I love the British accents. Especially the girls. It's lovely.
you have got to be fucking wih me! hugh laurie is british you idiot! if you had ever been to england then you would know that hugh has a normal english accent and is a household name in britain! he puts on a fake yankey accent in house!
Why did you necro a thread just to troll. First off, the guy was being sarcastic, second, he said that almost a year ago.

rookie.of.the.year

Jul 30, 2010
LopezMeister said:
chstens said:
I love making fun of the stereotypical upperclass brit, and I always use phrases and words like "Tallyho!" and "Pip-pip!" Quite entertaining, of course, I have yet to meet a brit that speaks like that.
I speak like this (with the exception of Pip-pip), I'm not exactly upper class, it's just where you come from in the country. I move around a lot and have never really had the chance to develop a proper accent although my accent is a lot less "posh" than it used to be.

Also, the "stereotypical" British accent is called the "newsreader" accent. This is because it was the accent with which newsreaders on the radio/TV spoke. Presumably it became "stereotypical" because American soldiers stationed in Britain would hear the broadcasts and associate it with the British and then it stuck.
It's actually 'Recieved Pronunciation'