What's this a case of? Lack of Female Repercussion or just Run of the Mill Prejudice: The Soho Phone Incident

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

Prosecutors in New York City are investigating an incident in which a jazz musician said his 14-year-old son was attacked by a woman who falsely accused him of taking her iPhone.
Trumpeter Keyon Harrold posted a video taken with his phone that shows the woman making claims against his son on Saturday at the Arlo SoHo boutique hotel.
Harrold and his son are Black and were guests at the hotel in lower Manhattan. The ethnicity of the woman in the video is not clear, although New York police described her as White.
His video of the encounter has been widely shared on social media, prompting an outcry about what many felt was yet another incident of racial profiling against Black men. The hotel apologized and called the woman's behavior a "baseless accusation, prejudice and assault against an innocent guest."
The prominent jazz trumpeter spoke Wednesday at a news conference and rally near the steps of New York's City Hall, where he was accompanied by civil rights attorney Ben Crump and the Rev. Al Sharpton. He also followed a rendition of "America the Beautiful" with "We Shall Overcome" in the late December chill.
"If I wasn't who I was .. this wouldn't even be an issue," he said before a meeting with the district attorney that was -- according to Crump -- arranged by Sharpton.
Harrold, who is from Ferguson, Missouri, said he had been racially profiled himself throughout his life. He noted that the hotel episode could have ended "wrongly" had he not been with his son at the moment.

The elder Harrold responds, "Are you kidding me? You feel like there's only one iPhone made in the world?" A man who identifies himself as the hotel manager asks to see the phone but the teen's father refuses. "I'm trying to settle this situation," the manager says.
In the video, when Harrold and his son attempt to leave the woman approaches them, saying, "I'm not letting him walk away with my phone." The video then shows her on the floor, but it's unclear how she landed there. She approaches them again and the teen's father is heard shouting for her to get her hands off before the video cuts out.
In his Instagram post, Harrold said the woman scratched him and grabbed his son. He told NBC that after the video cut off, the woman, "tackled my son, you know, trying to reach in his pockets, reach in my pockets."
Harrold suffered slight injuries but his son was not injured, the NYPD said. His son told ABC's "Good Morning America" that he's "shell-shocked."
"I don't know what would have happened if my Dad wasn't there, honestly," the teen said. Asked what he would say if he got the opportunity to speak to the woman, he said he'd expect an apology. Then he said he'd ask her, "why would she do something like this to a kid who has never met you at all?"
The woman's phone was returned to her at the hotel moments after the incident by a ride-share vehicle she used to try to check into the hotel, Harrison said.
The racial element is there. We know that. But this woman grabbed on a 14 year old, reached for his property, and injured both the father and the son.

She was not arrested. At the time of this thread, she wasn't even brought up on charges.

So I'm trying to figure out is the more pressing thing. That this woman can commit assault, be completely wrong about everything, and the police take their time to decide what to do next? Or that this is another case of "Look, there's a black person. Finally, an outlet of all the ills that have befell me in the last couple of minutes!"

I'm personally leaning towards the side of racial inequity, because there doesn't seem to be a police imperative to aid the actual victims of this matter as speedily as they do when it's a black suspect. If it's a black suspect, it's arrest and sort all the information out when you can get it. Now, though, black people were aggrieved and the police are taking their time to "get it right".

And yes, I wouldn't be saying anything if this was standard procedure for everyone. That's essentially the point.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Most Murican middle aged white women are basically manic depressive, so they need to take out their anger and self loathing on marginalized people.

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

The racial element is there. We know that. But this woman grabbed on a 14 year old, reached for his property, and injured both the father and the son.

She was not arrested. At the time of this thread, she wasn't even brought up on charges.

So I'm trying to figure out is the more pressing thing. That this woman can commit assault, be completely wrong about everything, and the police take their time to decide what to do next? Or that this is another case of "Look, there's a black person. Finally, an outlet of all the ills that have befell me in the last couple of minutes!"

I'm personally leaning towards the side of racial inequity, because there doesn't seem to be a police imperative to aid the actual victims of this matter as speedily as they do when it's a black suspect. If it's a black suspect, it's arrest and sort all the information out when you can get it. Now, though, black people were aggrieved and the police are taking their time to "get it right".

And yes, I wouldn't be saying anything if this was standard procedure for everyone. That's essentially the point.
I know it's not much, but she will be facing charges. She's already been identified, but they won't release her name.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Most Murican middle aged white women are basically manic depressive, so they need to take out their anger and self loathing on marginalized people
They also don’t have the aggressive stereotype place on them, like males or minorities. Thus, when they are physically aggressive, they are more likely to be given a pass

Also, wonder how long before this becomes a Cancelling thing

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Half racism, half believing women. Hey, at least nobody got shot.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

And here's the tackle.

Per the playbook, she said that the video doesn't show everything and that she was assaulted as well.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That doesn't seem like a racist statement to you?
No, it's flippancy, a hand-wavey statement regarding the "Karens," typically middle-aged, white women, who find themselves so readily wronged and demand satisfaction by escalating something minor or a simple misunderstanding into a full-blown, chaotic incident, and they feel empowered to do so because they feel themselves beyond reproach.

OT, if anyone would cast doubt that race and gender had nothing to do with this particular incident, do some mental role reversals, and imagine an adult, black man tackling a teenaged white child; 99.99999% of the time, that man would wind up immediately in handcuffs and not safely in his home, anonymously proclaiming his innocence because footage of his wrongful assault had gone viral making him look like the bad guy.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
No, it's flippancy, a hand-wavey statement regarding the "Karens," typically middle-aged, white women, who find themselves so readily wronged and demand satisfaction by escalating something minor or a simple misunderstanding into a full-blown, chaotic incident, and they feel empowered to do so because they feel themselves beyond reproach.
Yes, but race is mentioned there, isn't it? Therefore, isn't it automatically racist?

Let's do what you suggest and do a mental role reversal.

"No, it's flippancy, a hand-wavey statement regarding the "Laqueeshas," typically middle-aged, black women, who find themselves so readily wronged and demand satisfaction by escalating something minor or a simple misunderstanding into a full-blown, chaotic incident, and they feel empowered to do so because they feel themselves beyond reproach."

Doesn't this sound racist?'

I don't object to the use of "Karen", but I object to one being white as a prerequisite for being a Karen, or that being white has anything to do with being a Karen.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yes, but race is mentioned there, isn't it? Therefore, isn't it automatically racist?

Let's do what you suggest and do a mental role reversal.

"No, it's flippancy, a hand-wavey statement regarding the "Laqueeshas," typically middle-aged, black women, who find themselves so readily wronged and demand satisfaction by escalating something minor or a simple misunderstanding into a full-blown, chaotic incident, and they feel empowered to do so because they feel themselves beyond reproach."

Doesn't this sound racist?'

I don't object to the use of "Karen", but I object to one being white as a prerequisite for being a Karen, or that being white has anything to do with being a Karen.
Ok, "Cap'n Racism And Sexism Shouldn't Exist, Therefore They Don't," how many middle-aged, black women have made national news and themselves meme-worthy by calling the cops or "the manager" on white people they deem suspicious if not overtly criminal?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Ok, "Cap'n Racism And Sexism Shouldn't Exist, Therefore They Don't," how many middle-aged, black women have made national news and themselves meme-worthy by calling the cops or "the manager" on white people they deem suspicious if not overtly criminal?
Are you saying that "it's not racism if there's a good reason to believe the stereotype is true"? That the number of examples makes it permissible?

Would you like me to go find hundreds examples of anti-social behavior that other races participate in? Black people fighting and yelling? Then I could make a name for those people and call them that, and it would be okay and not racist at all, right?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Are you saying that "it's not racism if there's a good reason to believe the stereotype is true"? That the number of examples makes it permissible?
No, but if that's what you're taking away from it, have at it, sport. Due to a severe "asinine, semantic debate" allergy, I've prescribed myself a strict "three Houseman replies" limit I don't intend on exceeding.

Would you like me to go find hundreds examples of anti-social behavior that other races participate in? Black people fighting and yelling? Then I could make a name for those people and call them that, and it would be okay and not racist at all, right?
I couldn't care less what you choose to do with your time.

Last edited:

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
That kind of sounds like you painted yourself into a corner and now you can't respond without admitting that you were wrong.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

And here's the tackle.

Per the playbook, she said that the video doesn't show everything and that she was assaulted as well.
I saw her pathetic excuse last night on Lester Holt. I know it sucks, but don't be too upset. She is wanted, the police already know her name, and she's facing multiple charges, and she got no place to run. She can't hide forevah! (Wesker voice). The biatch can cry crocidile tears all she wants. The hotel security footage shows exactly what happened. She attacked first and was not assaulted by anything except her own stupidity.

I get the point, but if that cartoon was supposed to be funny, it absolutely failed.
The clip, or the show in general. I admit that I hate Regular Show, but that moment was one of the few, I found genuinely funny and awesome. Mordecai, Rigby, and Benson I hate them so much. People like to call Regular Show the modern Beavis and Butthead, but even those two weren't as dumb or annoying some of the time compared to Mordecai and Rigby. B & B I have more respect them, than those other two by comparison.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The clip, or the show in general.
The clip, I don't know the show. The humour is supposed to derive pretty much entirely from the frustration of the entitled woman who not only doesn't get her way, but finds out she misses out on even more stuff. Unfortunately, I just find it too cheap and obvious, lacking in inventiveness, spark, wit, and it's even a little bit preachy. I wonder if done live with some good comic actors, it could have been performed in a way to make it funnier, but it more would have been the performance than the situation or script.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The clip, I don't know the show. The humour is supposed to derive pretty much entirely from the frustration of the entitled woman who not only doesn't get her way, but finds out she misses out on even more stuff. Unfortunately, I just find it too cheap and obvious, lacking in inventiveness, spark, wit, and it's even a little bit preachy. I wonder if done live with some good comic actors, it could have been performed in a way to make it funnier, but it more would have been the performance than the situation or script.
If that's case, then you are going to no love the show at all. They moments similar to that a dime a dozen. I understand where you are coming from.