What's up with all of the racism, misogyny, and homophobia during multi-player play?

JaysonM

Sep 29, 2010
Cassita said:
Okay, enough is enough.

Am I the only one to never experience any of this during multiplayer?

Or is it blown way out of proportion?

I keep hearing about it like it's an accepted fact.
Depends what games you play, if you play MMOs and stuff like that it happens less and less because it is monitored. It happens a lot in FPS's and games where servers aren't supervised as much or people just don't care about the obscenities used.

Dr_Pie

Aug 11, 2009
That's why I stick to Parties. I pretty much only play multiplayer games with friends, so it's not like we're missing out on important tactical communication, because we're talking to each other in the party.

The few people in our team but not in our party are probably in a party themselves anyway. Only game I seem to find where people actually use game chat frequently and properly/efficiently is L4D2.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
On the rare occasions I don't avoid or mute these types of players I try to have a little fun at their expense. Try saying nice things or talking at length about something totally irrelevant like how to make banana bread or speculating on the average number of spots on ladybugs.

Herr Wozzeck

Oct 23, 2009
OhJohnNo said:

Explains it right there. Also, some people get riled up easily in video games - so while they may be civil in real life, gaming will bring out the worst in them.

Once again, I mute literally everyone other than my friends when doing multiplayer. Maybe you guys should do the same.
I learned this, ironically, when I didn't have a PS3 to learn it on. It's the same reason that people can be colossal dicks on Youtube; anonymity is a *****.

But anyway, I encountered a pair of tough guy kids who mocked my voice on PSN while playing ModNation Racers. I tried to bear it, but after two races I ended up rage-quitting because I couldn't fucking stand their teasing anymore. But that's really the only instance I remember; typically I've found that PSN is much better about this sort of thing than Xbox Live.

EqualNOpposite

Mar 21, 2010
OhJohnNo said:

Explains it right there. Also, some people get riled up easily in video games - so while they may be civil in real life, gaming will bring out the worst in them.

Once again, I mute literally everyone other than my friends when doing multiplayer. Maybe you guys should do the same.
Yeah, Wikipedia calls this the Online Dis-inhibition Effect. My thought on the matter is that it's actually prevalent WITHOUT an audience as well (if not more so; how many of us have screamed at the computer after the so-called cheating AI...well, cheats?), but is only observable (and therefore codified) when there IS one.

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
EqualNOpposite said:
OhJohnNo said:

Yeah, Wikipedia calls this the Online Dis-inhibition Effect. My thought on the matter is that it's actually prevalent WITHOUT an audience as well (if not more so; how many of us have screamed at the computer after the so-called cheating AI...well, cheats?), but is only observable (and therefore codified) when there IS one.
I've never shouted at the computer, but I do have heated words with my iPhone after failing to beat an Angry Birds level for the 22833254642346th time. Pig-fuckers..

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
SpireOfFire said:
people who play online are stupid. what do you expect? intelligent conversations?
Way to stereotype there.

I will correct you: The most vocal of those who play online are stupid. The intelligent ones generally don't talk to anyone, except their friends.

EinTheCorgi

Jun 6, 2010
Well most people are really pent up...but are to shy/stupid/ect to say what they feel and have the balls to stand behind what the believe in so the internet is kinda like a shield that lets them say/do what ever they want. so what im trying to say is the internet supports people being pussys. At least until I build a teleporter into my headset so I can reach though it and smack the little durp faces on the other end :/

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Some people don't get the art of trash talking, and think that if they just pick random slurs then eventually they'll find one that sticks. The best and only cure is to induce a ragequit by shooting them in the head and mocking their ineffectual insulting skills.

Of course this has the unfortunate side effect of perpetuating the stereotype that everybody who plays games is a 14 year old 'human' with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

chainer1216

Dec 12, 2009
when it happens a usually laugh, though more often i talk to them REALLY politely, while i do my best to grief them till they rage quit.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
wammnebu said:
i wouldnt confuse genuine homophobia and racism with antagonism. Many of these gamers seem to be trying to irritate and anger the other players. The best way would be to choose the most offensive choice of words possible.
I don't know about that. I would tend to support that you are what you say. You can't use the word ****** against someone and say, "oh but I'm not racist, I have black friends" it just doesn't work that way.

The act you describe is antagonistic to be sure, but I think the choice of words used speaks volumes about the speaker. Using derogatory terms like coon or fagot is really only effective antagonistically against those whom the words are typically meant to demean. So to use those words outside of that context, is simply a practice of safe racism / homophobia (meaning there is little or no chance of retaliatory action or true anger).

Besides, there are a ton of words you can use to taunt or incite anger in someone that are not tantamount to socially accepted bigotry.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
rockyoumonkeys said:
EDIT: Nevermind. Not touching this one.
Good call. Seems like we get one of these a week when all we really have to do is point here [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/]. This question gets answered too often for people to not know this yet.