What's up with all of the racism, misogyny, and homophobia during multi-player play?

Tabloid Believer

May 8, 2008
You know, when I get on X-Box LIVE nowadays, I find myself muting about half of the people I play with, primarily because they start spouting offensive statements over the mic. This past week, it got really bad. Bad enough that on a couple nights, my gaming experience was ruined entirely.

So, I wonder, what is up with that?

I mean, walking around in daily life, I don't see that kind of behavior. Not even close. If people said the things I hear on X-Box LIVE out loud and in public, it would be so offensive that it would probably make the news.

So, is it the anonymity of the headset? The freedom of having your face hidden and being able to say what you want to say? Or is it that a certain kind of person is attracted to a certain type of game and I'm happening to hear it?

What do you think?

Also, what I find interesting is that people typically go for racism comments first, homophobic comments second, and then misogyny after that. Why is racism up front and the first thing that people go for? Why not homophobic comments first? Why not sexism first?

Layz92

May 4, 2009
Probably because it allows players to spout obscenities without being identified and yet be too lazy to actually type on a keyboard. As for the reasons racism etc is the weapon of choice I have no real answer... Perhaps it just "is". Like Hipsters congregating at coffee shops, tools congregate on Xbox Live.

Off topic: My favourite bit of racism was an extremely blunt and loud (but not shouted) "I'm sorry... I don't speak coon". Seriously who does that (other than trolls and possibly "tough" children).

Sep 14, 2009
ehh it depends on the people, some people just love talking "trash" trash to other people, regardless of anything.

me personally? i dont do it usually at all, unless the person/team is a doucher, then i troll the fuck out of them. (non racially/sexial/etc... comments)

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
You know what I do to counter those people who try to flame/harass me? I laugh. Real loud or just in a humilating and taunting manner. They cannot stand it and ***** even louder over the mic, thinking I will listen.

Gears of War 2 has this alot, especially if you kicked their asses. Just laugh, it makes it more enjoyable for you and the rest of people who are against such dicks in the oppossing or same team!
Oh yes, I did that once on a kiddie speakin ebonics callin everyone "Fags" and "Noobs" whenever he got his ass kicked then I kicked his ass repeatedly several times in a row and he started callin me all kinds of things I just simply laughed out loud in a mocking manner wich had him raging wich made me laugh even more, soon the entire server were laughing at him. Good times. Works too, he left and good times were had by all.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
i wouldnt confuse genuine homophobia and racism with antagonism. Many of these gamers seem to be trying to irritate and anger the other players. The best way would be to choose the most offensive choice of words possible.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010

Explains it right there. Also, some people get riled up easily in video games - so while they may be civil in real life, gaming will bring out the worst in them.

Once again, I mute literally everyone other than my friends when doing multiplayer. Maybe you guys should do the same.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
I'm so glad Reach has the new settings for multiplayer. I haven't had any of this shit talk yet!

I hope more games pick up on it.

But yeah, the reason why some people act this way is old news. OhJohnNo above me has a nice picture to explain it.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
OhJohnNo said:

Explains it right there. Also, some people get riled up easily in video games - so while they may be civil in real life, gaming will bring out the worst in them.

Once again, I mute literally everyone other than my friends when doing multiplayer. Maybe you guys should do the same.
Damn you, I was just about to post that pic too.
You sir just beat me in interneting.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
you wont believe the answer but this is 100 percent why people poke at insecurities online...

to win

it's part of the mental gameplay (aka. you're normally good at game x, but with certain people around/ in certain environments/ with certain mindsets, you suck). By psychologically breaking down an opponent, you can cause him to play off of his emotions to make him go on tilt.

I used to do this when playing face to face multiplayer and have gotten my ass kicked for it, but it works.

ViaticalTarsier

Sep 7, 2010
wammnebu said:
i wouldnt confuse genuine homophobia and racism with antagonism. Many of these gamers seem to be trying to irritate and anger the other players. The best way would be to choose the most offensive choice of words possible.
^^^ this guy gets it. Trash talking is part of multi-player gaming. Call someone a derogatory name or telling them that their mother is a $2 whore is part of gaining a competitive advantage. You ever notice that when you play badly and get frustrated that you seem to just continue on your downward path toward ultimate suckyness (aka go 3-17 on your k-d ratio)

Getting someone angry or annoyed distracts them from performing at an optimum level and gives you (the trash talker) an advantage.

Plus trolling is fun (you know it is) whether its bothering your older/younger siblings or that anonymous dude on the internet.

Edit: ninja'd by 3 minutes because of my slow typing

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
slipknot4 said:
OhJohnNo said:

Damn you, I was just about to post that pic too.
You sir just beat me in interneting.
Cant get anymore trueful than that...

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Getting people angry in games can be funny sometimes (I will confess I have had my moments of being a griefer) and as a general rule, race/sex/nationalist and homophobic statements are an easy way of getting a rise out of people (sometimes they don't even have to make sense in context, I have on numerous occasions been on the recieving end of racial abuse such as the 'N' word and other such things...despite being white).

It's just the way people are, the best you can do is try to be the bigger person and not sink to their level.