What's With Everyone Wearing Headphones Recently?

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
I've moved from earbuds to headphones mainly because my ears produce an ungodly amount of wax, and earbuds make that multiply tenfold. In turn, I tend to get truly epic earaches. Even if I cleaned them regularly, it would still happen.

Headphones cut down on that quite a bit. I don't have as big of a deal with the earwax while using actual headphones. And yes, I own a pair of Skull Candy ones simply because they were on sale and were, honestly, the best deal I could get. I had different brand right before these, but they broke three months in. I think they were like...Audiophile or Noisepollution or something.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind using earbuds, but the pain is just not worth the convience.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
bahumat42 said:
Xanadu84 said:
Here's an alternate hypothesis. Being tech savvy is no longer unfashionable. So when a small trend in headphones starts, everyone realizes hey, better sound quality and no one will mock me for my audiophile tendencies. No reason not to.

Also, headphones have turned into a social tool. Avoid talking to people. Its that much eeasier to advertise that when you have big, noise canceling headphones.
THANK YOU, god all these people just saying its a trend are ignoring the fact they are infact nicer to wear.

If in ten years it recedes again (unlikely but possibly) i will concede it being a trend.
...unless technology improves to the point where ear buds match headphones in things like comfort and sound quality. Or there is a new backlash against tech savviness. Of course, you could also argue thhat it is practical things like this that cause most trends...

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
Because in-ear headphones disgust me. I spent years listening to those and just getting ear ache and then I discovered the creation of full headphones that were designed to be slim enough to have around your neck and not be an inconvenience, I was elated.

I mean these badboys work like mini speakers as well as being infinitely nicer quality of sound and bass.

Also Skull Candy are an awful tacky brand that make things just to show off, there specs are not worth the price.

ipop@you

Oct 3, 2008
I agree it is strange how suddenly everyone has them, honestly I had a quick look on facebook on christmas day and at least 20 people had said something along the lines of 'Awesome got some beats', all of course referring to the Dr Dre beats and everyone is wearing them.

I have a big pair of good Bose noise-cancelling ones but I only use them at home or on long journeys and otherwise I have buds, but they basically give the same effect because my ears are a weird shape so I have ear-plugs that fit on the ends of in-ear head phones and give great sound and block outside noise.

W8NKA

Jul 15, 2010
There is more room in headphones so manufactures can put in better speakers. Thats why with flat panel TVs the sound is usally shity as.

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
Because Dre/Skullcandy managed to package headphones in a way that appealed to the masses, with no real advantage in sound quality over earbuds.

I've worn a particular brand of Panasonic behind-the-head headphones for years now, and they blow "popular" headphones out of the water when it comes to comfort, durability, and sound quality. It's honestly irritating to see people buy Beats/Skullcandy because of fashion when they could have twice the quality at literally half the price.

Also, OP, would you by any chance be German? In my time here in Germany (I'm from the States) I've seen probably four times as many people wear any kind of listening device at all (buds or phones), and the one that wear phones wear the really good stuff. I found it odd, since back home it's rare to see this many people walk around plugged in to their MP3 players.

IamQ said:
I wear them because I can't wear earbuds. They fall out of my ears all the time. I would if I could, since with Headphones, it's not possible to wear a hat, and I like my fedora.

But overall, I like my headphones. Their comfy, don't fall out, and have great sound.

Also, if interesed in what I've got, it's these:

Steelseries Siberia v2
Siberia represent. Mine are first-gen, though. :p

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Matthew94 said:
I love the "audiophiles" who buy Beats, I just chuckle as they show they are pawns for advertising and a name.
well all I can say is if it's good then of course it gets spread around

mcdain

Oct 2, 2011
I've been using Sennheiser HD 201s for about two years now, and they've never steered me wrong. Bulky, sure, but they sound great.

Can't comment on Beats headphones as I've never used them, but Skullcandy can go to hell. Seriously, screw those things.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Matthew94 said:
I love the "audiophiles" who buy Beats, I just chuckle as they show they are pawns for advertising and a name.
Not to mention they're 400$. Holy shit I can buy a pair of good quality headphones for 20!

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
zHellas said:
Honestly, it seems to be everywhere at my school.

And it wasn't a gradual change, either. One day, BOOM! Fucking headphones EVERYWHERE. Mostly Beats by Dr Dre or Skull Candy. Only once have I seen a pair of headphones there not of those 2 brands.

Also, how did headphones suddenly gain a huge boost in popularity? Before, barely anyone wore them unless you were/you're an audiophile or a late '90s anime character. Now, everyone has them. Hell, even I'm getting some (though it's for a piano class that can be loud as fuck, plus a possible online language class).

Not saying that this is a bad thing, just a trend that I've seen that, for some reason, showed up out of fucking nowhere.
Go sennheiser. They're better in almost all ways.

Solid Reece

Nov 19, 2010
Risingblade said:
I switched back to headphones around the time I started getting ear infections, and they are comfier on the ears
With others switching like me because not all the sound is being blasted into their ears.

My only pair of sound canceling is for my PlayStation but, on the lowest setting for me is still to loud. I have to go into game setting and turn down the sound that way.

deidara

Nov 23, 2011
Those big clunky headphones are ridiculous IMO. I listen to music a lot. Pretty much at all times when I'm not sleeping or doing something that requires my hearing(talking, watching something ect). But the earphones are just fine. Most people I see in public use earphones. And that's because they are practical. Skullcandy's seem to be more of a fashion accessory than anything.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
Because...skull candies are awesome...they also cost an awful amount of money so it seems like such a waste to leave them at home when you could be out and about showing them off.

I will admit that my behavior is a little ridiculous but my skull candies are shiny and overpriced, and match my equally shiny and overpriced tokidoki bag.

I guess that over-priced accessories are the 'adult toys' of my generation. I refuse to relinquish them, I also refuse to relinquish my skinny jeans and studded belt.

I think that in the future I will regret my style choices but right now I am having fun and skull candies are my favourite accessory.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Haven't noticed this, possibly because I'm approaching geezerdom. I did just bought a nice new set of Sony cans because my old Skull Candys broke. Then again, I keep a set of cans and at least two sets of buds(they're more fragile) at any time for different situations.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
I just love to listen to music, and hate bothering people by making them hear it so I use headphones, but I like the big ones because they have such better sound to them

TankCopter

Jul 8, 2009
Headphones are comfier to wear in a lot of cases, although if they're wearing Skullcandies it's probably a fashion statement. Seriously, Skullcandy does not make good headphones.