Whats Wrong with Halo?

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
I never found anything really wrong with it. The story was good enough, gameplay was basically the same as Halo 2 with a few shiny new features, and the multiplayer was fun. People just hate it because it wasn't as "Holy shit greatest game evar!!" as the hype led them to believe. Personally I think anyone who is fooled by hype is an idiot and has no right to complain.

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
Psychophante said:
I just found it a bit generic, and got bored so I stopped playing it. I can see why others like it, it's just not my cup o' tea.
Pretty much this.

It's serviceable, but so bland it bored me, I finished the story in the hope that it might get better, but I never touched it after that.

DaMan1500

Jul 10, 2009
I think it's just that Halo has been pumped up so much by its fans that newcomers are going to be dissapointed if it's anything less then a life-altering experience.

Greeboz

Nov 9, 2009
CoverYourHead said:
The fact that people think it is the best game ever. It isn't.

The story is fairly bland (though many tell me I'm wrong), the mechanics are workable, the gameplay is quite "meh", nothing that hasn't been done better, and the environments aren't too interesting.

All 'n' all, it's fine, but I just hate how everyone claims it's the best game in the history of the universe.
Hello! Welcome to an opinion, here's a brochure.

Halo 'aight in my book. The controls are tight. you point and shoot and people get shot. I enjoyed the single player campaigns, maybe the story isn't top notch but it's not bad. The conclusion was the standard in any Sci-Fi shooter, which isn't a bad thing.(Drive your land vehicle onto a gigantic ship and escape a blue explosion by seconds.) The multiplayer kept me playing for over a year. With Forge, playlists and Double XP weekends.

Once MW2 came along I abandoned it, mostly because everyone else did.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
A lot of people are bringing up the campaign mode as Halo's strong point. I can't really argue this, given that I only ever really play the third game, but the campaign isn't award-winning. I know it doesn't take a genius to know that, but Halo 3's true virtue is the multiplayer. It's not especially complicated, there's no gimmicks hanging off it, it's just simple run and gun. MW2 has its killstreak rewards to liven things up, but Halo just has whatever guns you can find.
If a match becomes absolute chaos, then it has done its job. I honestly have much more fun playing Halo than I do playing MW2 or any other FPS, simply because it doesn't try to dress itself up, just paints you red, gives you a gun and says shoot the blue guy.

StarofAzura

Lady Nerevarine
Mar 22, 2010
Nothing's wrong with it, if you like the style of gaming it provides, and really, if you like it and someone else doesn't, it shouldn't matter.

I'm not really that big of a Halo fan, but then again, I haven't played it much, mostly because it doesn't boast a lot of the things I like about video games. I'm not much into shooters and space marines don't interest me much. But I have friends who like Halo and that's not a strike against them. There's nothing wrong with it, as long as you like it.

traineesword

Jan 24, 2010
i will tell you everything that is currently wrong with Halo

The story in campaign is a load of rubbish and is almost a love story between a guy who never takes off his armour and a hologram. fortunatly, there is awesome gameplay inbetween cutscenes which easily makes up for all that.

The only other problem with it is that there are about 10 people (or dicks as they are more commonly called) who when they start a game online, immediatly kill as many people on their own team as possible before quiting the game, giggling to themselves. but these are only the remaining dregs of dicks, the rest of whom have left to play modern warfare 2... so assumedly, the ones we have left are too incapable of playing Call of Duty, so just waste their lives waiting for 2 minutes to spend 5 seconds shooting at people the same colour as themselves.

that is all that is wrong with Halo. anything else that was wrong with Halo when online has been nicely moved over to the Call of Duty online, which makes me very very happy :D

Evil mr dave

Apr 28, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
Evil mr dave said:
the game has some flaws ill admit, but the multiplayer has one feature that has, for me, made it a better game then ANYTHING that has come out in the last three years.

that feature is the ability to have up to four people play on xboxlive on the same screen, with only one of them requiring gold and the others can just sign in as guests. this one feature has kept me playing for a long time jest becausse when friends show up i can toss them a controller, have them sign in as guests and then we can can jest play away.
... split screen gaming is about as new a concept in gaming as "controllers."
thats true,but if you wanted to play cod online with your three other friends in the same room who don't have live then i guess your out of luck. were as with halo they can just sign in as guests and away you go.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
The original was an excellent game to play on the PC. After that though, I just lost interest. I seemed to try too hard.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
Nothing is wrong with it, it just isn't as awesome as everyone claims...

One Seven One

Feb 5, 2009
I have nothing against Halo or Bungie, it's mostly Halo's community that angers me.

To sum a majority of them up in a few words, they are ___holes.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
People hate the XBL douchebags/super fanboys who play it more than the actual game. Also it gets a small bit of hate on this particular site as a small spillover from some Valve fanboys as well.

But I agree that although all the games' multiplayer has been the best I've played, the campaign in Halo 3 was the worst of the trilogy. To be fair it had to wrap up the story so it couldn't stray much from it's predetermined path because the basic layout for the game was set at the end of Halo 2. Halo CE had some awesome combat and gets a slight nostalgia bonus and Halo 2 put in a better story that CE lacked. Halo 3 just didn't do anything better than the other two with campaign so it's lacking some luster.

I hope with Reach Bungie can put together an awesome campaign since they won't be restricted by earlier titles and can put together something epic. Then any game after Reach I can jump on the Halo suxxorz bandwagon since it'll be only Microsoft that's responsible for it.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Darzen said:
this is a legit question.What wrong with Halo?it's fun and sometimes challenging and isn't that what Gaming is about?having fun and beating challenges?Sure it has flaws but all games have flaws.can i get a good logical answer to my first question?
It's always the hype. A game may be perfectly good, and even in some cases great, but it will never be the gold encrusted diamond that the hypers say it is, and as such there will be people who hate it for that letdown.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
kesslerparadox52 said:
Cody211282 said:
kesslerparadox52 said:
It's overrated. People tend to hate things that are overrated.
MW2, FF7/12/13, WoW, Warcraft 3, Starcraft, Assassins Creed, God of War, and Fallout 3 are all overrated to but it doesn't stop them from being fun games that people still love to play
I know that. I never said I hate Halo. I'm just saying that if a game is overrated, a lot of people (not me) are going to hate it. And besides, I don't think any of the games you mentioned got quite as much pre-release hype as Halo 3 did. Maybe MW2. (Another perfectly good game.)
The pre-release hype for most big games coming out for this generation is insane, hell and if you have never played one of the games I mentioned the hype from the rabid fanbase would have you expecting solid gold. But people who hate something because it's popular sorta bug me.