What's wrong with the Space Jam site?

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Every time someone brings up the Space Jam website, everyone talks about how outdated it is and how they can't believe people used to design sites like that. Can someone tell me specifically what makes the site so outdated in terms of web design?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Every time someone brings up the Space Jam website, everyone talks about how outdated it is and how they can't believe people used to design sites like that. Can someone tell me specifically what makes the site so outdated in terms of web design?
The fact that website from 1996 does things, most modern sites do not do anymore or have done better. I am surprised the web site still exists. What was amazing for 1996, is obviously dated and not that interactive. The Space Jam site is one of the few things to surive and not have any changes, yet still exist.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The fact that website from 1996 does things, most modern sites do not do anymore or have done better. I am surprised the web site still exists. What was amazing for 1996, is obviously dated and not that interactive. The Space Jam site is one of the few things to surive and not have any changes, yet still exist.
Someone said the site uses repetitive background art.

Most modern sites just use one or two solid color backgrounds. I guess that's one outdated thing.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
...There's so much implied in this topic that doesn't make sense to me, and I'd be remiss not to point out its...let's say "oddity".

1) In what context is the website promoting a 23 year old movie topical? Seriously, Space Jam itself is a rare topic, but you're talking about the promo material for it; the promo material for a single movie IP that hasn't been touched in roughly a generation. Who even brings that up?
2) "Every time"? "The website for Space Jam" is so incredibly specific that I'm having enough trouble wrapping my head around the idea that it would be even passingly mentioned once, much less frequently enough to warrant a trend.
3) Why on earth should anyone care if someone said it had bad site design?
4) If you're taking umbrage with someone saying the site design was bad, it strains credulity to think they either did not or would not elaborate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drathnoxis

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Just on the basis of readability alone.

Red text on a patterned black background is eyestrain incarnate. Does this really need further elaboration?

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Just on the basis of readability alone.

Red text on a patterned black background is eyestrain incarnate. Does this really need further elaboration?
The only further explanation is that this was a professionally made site paid for by a massive corporation, yet it looks like some random idiot's Geocities account.

Yeah, this is indubitably bad, I don't get what the mystery is.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Wait? Space Jam still has a website? Huh. I guess it does.

Who are the people who keep bringing this up in conversation? because I'd more or less forgotten the movie exists until you mentioned this.

And why does anyone really care about a website from over 20 years ago for a movie most people probably haven't watched in as long?