What's your age, and what are you currently most concerned about?

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
I'm 24, close to graduating college which I am somewhat concerned about being able to. The amount of debt I will be in is manageable for the most part. Mainly I'm concerned about actually getting a job that I can tolerate. My degree is something I have zero interest in but I'm so far in I just figured I'd finish it. Now time to figure out something I can make money at, that I can tolerate and have something that is really mine. Both my parents are major F ups to put it nicely. My moms FINALLY got her life on track at 49 and shes still clawing her way into something good while trying to avoid her many pitfalls. and my dad well, hes a lost cause. I don't really want to live the whole "Apple doesn't fall far from the tree" stereotype. But pretty sure I will. I'm terrified of life to the point I think I may need meds and extremely depressed because of it. I'll just get old and be worth nothing just like my dad.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I'm 22, my biggest concern is climate change, and that we will completely fuck up the planet, making it very hard to live on and basically not an enjoyable place. I think there is potential to mitigate the effects but it seems quite clear that we're already getting more frequent extreme weather events and extinction of species. The worst possible outcome would be that everyone believes there's nothing they can do about it as an individual, and either doesn't lobby politicians for emission cuts, doesn't change their lifestyle choices to be more green, or both.

On a personal level, I guess it's loads of little worries lumped into one big worry - namely what I'm going to do once I graduate this summer. We have something like 20% youth unemployment in the UK and I don't rate my chances of finding a job that highly. Also the cost of living is going up & I've been in rented houses for the last 4 years...it doesn't really feel like I have a home and it sucks. At least this one is easier to change than GHG emissions though.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
I'm 26 soon to be 27 (Birthdya is in April) and my current concern is coming to terms of being a full pledge adult.

I had an argument with my mum a few weeks back mainly discussing about my current career and future. Long story short, we agreed that the plan to moved to the city will go ahead (need to redo the kichen before putting the property on sale) so I can find a better job (I'm part time sales assistant in a retail store). I'm just don't like the idea of working full time (35+ hours) but I know that is pretty much necessary in life (to pay the bill and etc). I just don't want to sacriface my leisure time but hey I know my parent ain't going to be around forever and I do desire to lived on my own just like any other adults.

It doesn't help the fact that my best mate is no longer in the loop of tv show and cartoon (he started living on his own and worked full time from 9-5 and he end up returning home too exhauted to do anything like gaming or watching a show).

I kind of feel like I need some advice or guidance on this matter from someone who is working full time and living alone.
I can talk to you about living alone and working fulltime if you want. Not sure I can really provide guidance though lol.
Is there anything you actually need help with? Like specific questions?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
23. My biggest concern at this particular moment? Either the fact that today I was diagnosed with anxiety or that tomorrow I have a job interview.

In general though, it's the economy. I really wish the machinations of corrupt businessmen had nothing to do with my day to day existence, I really do, but fact is, if the world economy goes completely down the toilet, so does our civilisation. Never mind the tories using it as an excuse for their "fuck people who aren't filthy rich" policies.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Weaver said:
Scarim Coral said:
I'm 26 soon to be 27 (Birthdya is in April) and my current concern is coming to terms of being a full pledge adult.

I had an argument with my mum a few weeks back mainly discussing about my current career and future. Long story short, we agreed that the plan to moved to the city will go ahead (need to redo the kichen before putting the property on sale) so I can find a better job (I'm part time sales assistant in a retail store). I'm just don't like the idea of working full time (35+ hours) but I know that is pretty much necessary in life (to pay the bill and etc). I just don't want to sacriface my leisure time but hey I know my parent ain't going to be around forever and I do desire to lived on my own just like any other adults.

It doesn't help the fact that my best mate is no longer in the loop of tv show and cartoon (he started living on his own and worked full time from 9-5 and he end up returning home too exhauted to do anything like gaming or watching a show).

I kind of feel like I need some advice or guidance on this matter from someone who is working full time and living alone.
I can talk to you about living alone and working fulltime if you want. Not sure I can really provide guidance though lol.
Not sure eventhought I am asking for help/ guidance.

I mean even when we moved to the city, I will still be living with them (renting in the city is expensive) but still they are right that I can't keep depending on them.

I guess I just need to experience it properly to address where my concerns lie (I mean I have lived on my own during my time university and enjoyed the hell out of it but I wasn't working (job) like some students and I didn't exactly pay the bills other than the rent which the student loan where there for).

I think maybe one of my questions is how do you still find the time to yourself when you worked longer than 35 hours? I kind of find it daunting that the supervisor tend to only have the evenning to himself and soon had to get back to work the next day early in the morning (well most of the time for him).

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
25 here.

Mostly concerned about college loans (and paying them off), not dying young, and not dying alone.

CAPTCHA: Instantly Skip? I swear CAPTCHA's being a smartass...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Weaver said:
Scarim Coral said:

Not quite eventhought I am asking for help/ guidance.

I mean even when we moved to the city, I will still be living with them (renting in the city is expensive) but still they are right that I can't keep depending on them.

I guess I just need to experience it properly to address where my concerns lie (I mean I have lived on my own during my time university and enjoyed the hell out of it but I wasn't working (job) like some students and I didn't exactly pay the bills other than the rent which the student loan where there for).

I think maybe one of my questions is how do you still find the time to yourself when you worked longer than 35 hours? I kind of find it daunting that the supervisor tend to only have the evenning to himself and soon had to get back to work the next day early in the morning (well most of the time for him).
Well, I work longer than 35 hours every week :)

No doubt about it you're not going to have as much free time as working part time. There's no way you can eat up an additional 35 hours a week and have the same amount of free time. However, it really makes you consider what you're doing with your time. I personally think limiting free time is actually quite beneficial (at least, to me it is).

Really, you adapt and I still find I have lots of time to do the things I like. I remember my unemployed days and I actually feel more productive with my free time even though I have less of it. The reason is, now that it's a limited commodity (instead of having all day to just do whatever) I actually have to make the most of it.

What I like to do is plan on what I'm going to do that night and do it without wasting time. For example, tonight I'm going to watch Kill la Kill, Chuuniyobu, cook dinner, and play diablo 3 for the rest of the time. Really, if you have 6 - 7 hours a night that's a pretty good chunk of time to unwind and get personal stuff done.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Weaver said:
Another question I just remember is the finance wise of being an adult but I suppose that depend on how much you earn and the living arrangement and the cost of the bills.
Last thing I want to be is in debt. Sure I know in that situation you have to be more careful with your spending and finding the best value (I worked in a cheap/ dicount retail store so I know full well at finding something at the best value).
In saying so I also dread on the idea of me being too stict of my money to the point I used it for the necessity only and having too much money woes.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Weaver said:
Another question I just remember is the finance wise of being an adult but I suppose that depend on how much you earn and the living arrangement and the cost of the bills.
Last thing I want to be is in debt. Sure I know in that situation you have to be more careful with your spending and finding the best value (I worked in a cheap/ dicount retail store so I know full well at finding something at the best value).
In saying so I also dread on the idea of me being too stict of my money to the point I used it for the necessity only and having too much money woes.
I'm fortunate enough that I make enough to support me, pay rent, bills, eat, sustain my hobbies and still save a little bit each month. I know not everyone is in the same position.

Really, I find you just end up living within your means. I can still afford to do dinner out with my friends once a week, or what have you. My advice on that front is try and never put yourself in a "break even" or worse situation. Like, don't spend 70% of your paycheck on rent, it's not worth it and you won't be able to do things you like.

Another thing worth considering is many jobs in the city will end up paying more because the cost of living in the area is higher. At least, that's true around here. If you're getting a fulltime, salaried position somewhere make sure you try and get a decent wage out of it. It's no crime trying to get a modest wage so you can save some money for the future. Very few people are working for fun, you're doing it so you can make a living :)

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013

Concern: Everything. OK, OK, I'll give more detail.

Really, my biggest concern is college right now. I recently changed majors from Environmental Science & Policy to Computer Science (long story), and while I'm mostly loving it, there have been some problems. Calculus 3 has been beating me down this whole semester and is not letting up. Granted, the professor is arguably the worst I've ever had, and the book we have is easily the worst math textbook I've ever seen, and I'm barely passing the class even after generous curves. Considering I've maintained a 4.0 GPA since starting college almost three years ago, knowing that it is going to take a hit has been rather stressful, even if I know it will won't go down buy 0.1. It also sometimes makes me question if I changed to the right major. Considering it is a math class, I've been able to compare it very well to the more research and writing-based classes I took with my last major, in which I was exceptional. Even though I know I made the right choice and have no intention of going back or to something like Political Science, that doesn't get through to me at one in the morning while I'm trying to read a poorly written calculus book and figure out what the hell they are doing.

Then there's the upcoming summer and fall. I want to get an internship, but I am completely unsure if that will go through. I seem to have a good prospect, but every day feels like I'm being passed up for the position. I also want to take a class this fall, which is important enough that not taking it could set back my college plans for another semester at minimum, but it is a high competitive course to get into, and that competitiveness is based entirely around how well we do in a single class (which I'm taking this semester). Thankfully, the class has been among the easiest for me, so I'm not too worried, but I don't like knowing that there is that possibility I will get passed up, especially since I've already been delayed by a full year due to the major change.

And then there is all the people issues, but I'll save that essay. Needless to say, it compounds the stress a lot.

Still, even though I have some problems, I'm mostly able to handle it. Like I said, being up at one in the morning tends to remove all sense that I actually can handle things, but it isn't like I'm perpetually under stress to the point where I have no motivation to do anything. I've been in that situation before, and I'm far from being in it again.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
23, concerned about being stuck where I am physically mentally and emotionally.

Gaijinko

Aug 4, 2013
27 and compared to what some of the other forum goers are going through mine is so trivial. its cooking, i am preparing the first barbecue of the summer on sunday and am in charge of everything from starters to desserts and my main concern is timing, i haven't managed to get my timing right on food prep for a long time no matter how much I plan.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I'm 19, existential crisis all over the place. Scared of the future. Being lonely, being overcrowded, never being able to express myself, growing old. I feel so vain for placing self-expression on that list, but god, it just seems to matter to me so much, and it drives me insane seeing people with fantastic talents and a great life on top of them. I know it's really scummy, but...well, I don't really know how I can excuse it. It's not hatred, mind you it's just a sort of jealousy mixed with admiration that results in frustration thanks to my overall lack of self-worth.

Summation of my rambling: 19, concerned with life in general. Not going anywhere at the current rate, feeling broken for being unable(????) to do anything about it.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I am 23, I am doing a degree I hate and getting a job has proven difficult because I keep being told I don't have enough experience which by the admition of one of the better interveiwers I had means that they were unwilling to employ someone as young as me when they can get someone 10-15 years older than me who was just made redundant.

Plus 3 weeks ago I broke my leg. Other than that things are good.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009

Am I on the right path for school? Am I wasting my time for a degree in a career I'm not sure I'll like? Can I get through my last few years without going into massive debt? Will I have health insurance in a few years? Is my dad going to be okay because his house burned down? Can I sustain myself on my own when I move out this summer? Will my roommates work out?

Ok it's mostly school related but it's been a high subject.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
28. Worried that I've wasted my life, or at least the years where I should have done something. Graduated from college, but I didn't do anything while I was there. Didn't try different things, didn't do internships, didn't do anything that most college people seem to do. Didn't even find a girlfriend. I went to school, studied, passed all my classes, and when I graduated, I went, "Well...now what am I supposed to do?" I'm an English major, and I don't want to be a teacher, so...yeah. Worried about my life in general.
That, and the situation that is happening with Ukraine and Russia, and how the rest of the world did absolutely jack about it.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
I'm nineteen as of last week, and I'm currently stressed about the fact that I have no idea what the fuck I want to do with my life. I spent most of my life during high school with a concrete plan- go to a local college that I know has a good English program, get a teaching degree, become an English teacher wherever the hell I want to go (I've been repeatedly told that, for some odd and probably stupid reason, Pennsylvania has a reputation for high educational standards and teachers who were educated here are highly sought-after. I personally think that my own teachers were just stroking their egos when they told me that, because my school's standards were absolutely shit- but I digress.)

Last year, though, a whole confluence of really bad shit happened all at once, and as a result I did some soul-searching and decided that teaching would be a terrible career for me. Problem is, I don't know what else I'm capable of- I'd planned on this career for years, and I can't conceive of doing much else. So, rather than doing what any thinking person in my position would do, i.e. get myself into any generally-decent college and major in Undecided until I get my shit together, I've been sitting at home fiddling with my résumé and second-guessing all of my life choices for the past year.

So that sucks.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
19 (almost 20), worried that I won't make it through the first year of my physics course and will have to repeat it, putting myself even further into debt. The worst part is I'm definitely capable, but my poor organisational skills, tendency to procrastinate and wildly fluctuating attention span are hindering me. Every time I make some progress in fixing my poor habits and traits I end up getting complacent and backslide. My attempts at balancing the various aspects of my life are just a series of massive over-corrections, for some reason I can't find a happy medium.

Second most, I'm worried that WW3 is gonna kick off.

SaberXIII

Apr 29, 2010
I'm currently 20 years old, almost through with my second year of university as an English student. I have my career pretty much planned out; I'm currently learning Japanese and gathering experience in teaching in order to become a teacher of English as a foreign language in Japan. The reason for this, however, is that I want to become a manga artist. However, my main concern is in regards to that final part of my plan; it takes a lot of skill, speed, determination and quality to partake in that kind of career, and I'm concerned that, no matter how hard I try, I may never be good enough to achieve my goals.