What's your age, and what are you currently most concerned about?

Oct 10, 2011
Nomad said:
username sucks said:
17, soon to be 18. I'm worried most about what I'm going to do with the rest of my life.

I feel that I would be content with most any living conditions, but I'm probably going to a community college. I also would like to cut all ties with my family when I graduate high school, but I know how much that would hurt them. I just don't know what I'm going to do.
Out of curiosity, if your relationship with your family is at a point where you want to cut all ties with them, how come you care so much about hurting them?
I don't want to hurt anyone. Most of my family is filled with absolutely horrible people, but I know that they do care about me, even if its for the wrong reasons. They are also under the illusion that I care about them simply because of the value of family. I just... Don't want to cause more pain than I need to.

Jan 27, 2011
25. Gonna be 26 in May.

I'm freaked about my future. This freakin bachelors degree in compsci is taking me forever. Not to mention that my option (computer games) requires me to do this piece of shit graphics course where we're basically thrown to the wolves with no help. -_- It's literally just "here's a few formulas I'll show you for a minute, you should already know what they are and how to code them even though we haven't shown you. Now I'll show you examples of completed 3D graphics for 10 minutes. Now more formulas with no explanations! Now go code this yourself even though we haven't shown you SHIT!"

I REALLY want to finish this !@#$ing degree, get a goddamn job, and get my own damn place. I mean, there are so many things I wanna do, that I can't do while living with my parents.

Above all, I'm worried I'll never get it done and somehow end up on the street starving to death, or working menial labour my entire life while being a burden on everyone forever. ;_;

It doesn't help that the ONE thing I thought I had figured out (my relationship) turned out to not be working out, and suddenly going from having a girlfriend I loved to being single was a massive blow to me.

So yeah, I'm worried that my future is either going to be shit, or nonexistant. The thought often results in me curled up in the shower in the fetal position trying only to think of the nice hot water. :(

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
16, 17 in under a month.

I have my exams coming up, starting in May, but I am more concerned about what I am going to do after that. Whether I should stick on for my second year and do my A2 exams, or drop out and look for an apprenticeship. I'm not enjoying school right now, and I am definitely not doing very well, I guess that both of those things come hand-in-hand, but I don't really know what I would want to do if I left. The next few months are going to be very stressful for me as I will be deciding the next year or so of my life, but at least I don't have any family issues or failing relationships that are stacking onto my plate, so I can always be thankful for that.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Age 22 here, I have a bachelors double honour degree in english and sociology and my biggest concern is getting a job. It's been nearly 3 years since I left university and still nothing. Because I don't have a job I have no money. I'm still waiting to hear back for an interview for jobseekers allowance, but until then I have no money. Also I haven't eaten in nearly 2 days because the last of my money had to go on an ebay problem. I wish I could make something out of nothing but all I have is very out of date potatos :/ I keep going to the freezer with some hope that something might have changed and maybe randomly food will appear. I'm so hungry.

Laxer

Consensus has been reached
Feb 17, 2010

I work in the armed forces and my knee has been acting up lately, throbbing and hurting after marches and runs. It came suddenly and unexpected. It might be the beginning of the end in this specific military career, if I can't stop it from worsening I have to drive my body in a lower gear.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
29 years old

I worry about where my life is going, I've worked ever since I turned 16, got decent marks in my exams, went to University got a degree in physiology, but what the hell was it all for? I had to take jobs in customer service to pay for it, got made redundant from the solicitors firm I was working for last year (I was only there for about a year but I really enjoyed it). I've been temping ever since but now I've got no new contracts. Every job I want needs experience and I cant afford to volunteer to get it. I want to move out from my mums house and get a place of my own but I just can't see how I could afford it and I'm scared that she wouldn't be able to manage financially if I wasn't there to contribute i feel trapped. I'm quite terrified about still living at home with my mum when I'm thirty, I'll never get a girlfriend if I'm a 30 year old living at home, no woman wants to hear 'I had a lovely time tonight, want to come back to mine for a drink? We have to be quiet though my mum is upstairs in bed' so I'll probably end up dying sad and alone. Aw shit that's a depressing thought :eek:/

[br] Ah that's a better...d'aww look at the lanky bastard go!

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
33 here, and... well, it all boils down to money in the long run, but the most immediate concern is work.

Specifically, the fact that the work I'm currently doing (customer services for a high street electronics retailer) is clearly not going to enable me to push on with the Next Phase of my life - coupled with the fact that the economy is so screwed right now that I'm more concerned about clinging on to the job I do have than managing to find another one. I want to move out - from the extended family I currently live with, from the city I live in, with a girl (should I ever decide that bullet's worth biting again), whatever. I want to learn to drive. I want, in the long term, to own my own place rather than being stuck eternally renting.

But none of that is feasible given my current employment, and some bad decisions in my past have rendered progress nigh-impossible.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
20. Turning 21 in a couple of months.

I'm currently looking to go to college. I've been wanting to becoming a writer, or at least learn more about screenwriting. In the mean time I'm working on my writing skills by writing reviews and coming up with a few stories, even a few fanfics. I've also been thinking of getting out more, after being cooped up in my house for a few years, and doing something with my life, maybe find a job, make more friends, and someone to love.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014

Being worth a damn by my 30s, in general.
I've dropped out of uni have a part-time job (which I like) and live with my parents - which I don't mind so much.

I'm not really all that self reliant as a man and I 've lost much motivation to further myself over the years. I don't hate or dislike where I am but I know I won't last like this.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
21 going on 22, and it's a combination of looking for work after college (hopefully some place that will let me go back to get a master's) and the looming prospect of paying off my student loan debt.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I'm in my mid-20s and I'm most worried about holding down a full-time job.

There have been many opportunities that have come my way in terms of having a part-time job, but for some reason, when I show interest in a full-time position, the employers are to be very weary of me. I just want a sense of job security and progression; what's so wrong with that?

The other thing that I'm concerned about is this whole war against the Mexican cartels deal that is quickly spiraling out of control. Residents taking arms, cartels getting more violent and straight up satanical, the government corrupted by greed and power, and these conflicts spilling over rather peaceful or neutral states and cities. I'm starting to be fearful for the family that I still have down there and I don't understand why any of my family members still want to go back down there with all the chaos that is ensuing.

axillarypuma

Dec 11, 2013
15 year old, trying to earn money to buy me a copy of SAO:Hollow fragment by translating for 5 bucks, it's not going very well but eh I'm patient.

Now seriously, finding a college, scholarship, and getting the fuck out of my country as soon as I can.

Also: I'm surprised everyone is in his 20-30s, but I got used to it since WoW.

Gauntlets28

Aug 2, 2013
Malty Milk Whistle said:
17, and worried about mental health.
Broke down making a cuppa the other day, so something maybe going on...

also the rising price of freddos.
'Tis a scam I say!
Damn straight it's a scam! And I remember when the Beano only cost 30p! It's like, £1.50 now or something! D:
-----
Anyhoo, I'm 18 (yes, I know my profile pic is Treguard, but Knightmare's got a slight cult status amongst the nerdier sectors of my school), and I'm primarily worried about my A-levels, especially after flunking out and having to repeat the year 12 due to stress-related depression. :D I'm also worried about the future in general-what will I do, where will I go, will I do anything worthwhile with my life, and do I actually want to. That and a whole bunch of other anxieties, primarily related to my crippling and consuming fear of my own mortality, and my phobia of sex generally pushing me away from having closer relationships to anyone.
And at the same time, I'm kinda interested to see if a girl I have suspicions may like me, actually likes me. Because generally, that opens a whole byzantine series of interesting complications.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Yo, nineteen year old here.

I'm mostly worried about when immortality will become a thing. Whether it be digital, mechanical, or even biological immortality. As long as it's my own consciousness, never just a copy made to be like me, and It's safe, I'd be fine with it.

And full virtual reality. Full virtual reality would be awesome.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
I'm 23 and I worry about

Getting full time work, this has been MUCH more difficult than I had anticipated. I worry about not being able to pay my bills after having left my secondary part time job in book keeping (left because I had serious ethical issues with how the place did business); at least I still have my Wal-Mart cashier job (yay :'( )

My investments, they're pretty healthy at the moment but there's always that little voice in the back of my head screaming "SELL SELL SELL"

My romantic life, made some poor decisions lately which I'd rather not discuss here >.......>

There's also a little anxiety that WW3 might be on the horizon, but that might just be me being paranoid.

Sep 13, 2009
22 here, and, as common of an issue as it is, I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to get a job I enjoy with my degree. I'm taking computer science and enjoying it a lot, but I know almost nothing about what the job market is like in it. For all I know I could be coming out of it with no job, or just something where I'm mindlessly coding stuff that I could have written in my first year of university. All in all I'm pretty worried about finishing school in general, and having to look for a real job.

I guess a more pressing issue would be finding a job to pay for school next year. Every summer I try to look for a consistent paying job, but it never pans out. I'm just awful at finding jobs. I can't sell myself up, I feel like whatever job I'm applying for there will be many far more qualified applicants, and I don't have the slightest idea of where to apply to. As well, I'm pretty sure my resume is crap since I've never gotten a job interview from it (although admittedly I haven't exactly applied to that many jobs either).

aegix drakan said:
25. Gonna be 26 in May.

I'm freaked about my future. This freakin bachelors degree in compsci is taking me forever. Not to mention that my option (computer games) requires me to do this piece of shit graphics course where we're basically thrown to the wolves with no help. -_- It's literally just "here's a few formulas I'll show you for a minute, you should already know what they are and how to code them even though we haven't shown you. Now I'll show you examples of completed 3D graphics for 10 minutes. Now more formulas with no explanations! Now go code this yourself even though we haven't shown you SHIT!"
Not sure what your computer graphics course is about, but I'm in the middle of an introduction to computer graphics course right now with a really good professor and feel pretty on top of things in it at the moment. So far we've done some opengl model viewing stuff, texturing, shadows/phong shading and ray tracing. I can't promise that I'd be any help, but if there's anything within that realm that is giving you trouble feel free to PM me to ask. So far about 50% of my class has failed or dropped out (Which I've heard is the norm), so even with a good professor this course gives people a lot of trouble

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
24 here, turning 25 in May.

Like many posters in this thread I too worry about my education. I'm finishing my masters in Japanese and will soon finish another bachelors in Pedagogy. I'm worried about whether or not I should start working or do a masters in pedagogy or go for a PHD program. I really want to work with education (policies, etc), but I worry that the field is almost impenetrable to someone who hasn't already worked many years as a teacher and/or has a ton of connections.

Padwolf said:
Age 22 here, I have a bachelors double honour degree in english and sociology and my biggest concern is getting a job. It's been nearly 3 years since I left university and still nothing. Because I don't have a job I have no money. I'm still waiting to hear back for an interview for jobseekers allowance, but until then I have no money. Also I haven't eaten in nearly 2 days because the last of my money had to go on an ebay problem. I wish I could make something out of nothing but all I have is very out of date potatos :/ I keep going to the freezer with some hope that something might have changed and maybe randomly food will appear. I'm so hungry.
If you live in Oslo I'll gladly treat you to dinner.

No one should starve D:

Casual Shinji said:
I'm 31 years old.

And my biggest concern is being a 31-year old virgin with no friends, no job, and no real ability to change my situation. I feel at this point it's gotten too late for me to get into the game anymore.

And I found a couple of white hairs on my head as well. *sigh*
It's never too late to get back in the game. The virgin thing isn't something to worry too much about. It's just the first time, and after that it's done with. You'd also be amazed at how many girls stay virgins into their late 20s/early 30s.

If you have no confidence then don't go to bars, but other places where you can meet equal-minded people. Online dating's also a thing but I have no experience with that. And that being said, it's always an opportunity to get drunk in a club and then try to get with someone who's equally drunk. Not necessarily a good solution, but an effective one

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
softclocks said:
I really want to work with education (policies, etc), but I worry that the field is almost impenetrable to someone who hasn't already worked many years as a teacher and/or has a ton of connections.
I wouldn't know about Norway (where I assume you live, since you mention Oslo), but I do know about Sweden - and I suspect there's not much of a difference. I can say from first-hand experience that you can get into the field just fine without a teaching background. As I mentioned previously in the thread, I'm working on the last months of my master's degree in political science, with no training or experience in teaching. Yet I've been working with educational issues for about a year now, primarily with competence development and resourcing for teaching occupations, on both the local and national levels.

My suggestion would be to take advantage of your connection with the pedagogical institution of your university and check with them if they have any jobs they need doing. Universities get hired by the authorities to evaluate and investigate various issues all the time, and they rarely have enough manpower to take on all the requests they get. There's a good chance your institution is involved with several research projects relating to educational policy that you could get in on as a project assistant or similar. A not-quite-finished bachelor's degree in the field may not be quite enough to get you there, though, but that would probably depend on what the work entails.

In the long term, yes - a phd program would most definitely help (particularly in pedagogy), precisely because of the reason mentioned above. Pick a thesis subject relating to policy, attach yourself to relevant research groups, and you're basically set. After getting your phd, you could either stay in Academia doing research on the topic, get an actual employment with the national authority of education or something, or start a business working with evaluation and the like.