What's your favorite song from a genre you don't like?

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
like the title says, what is your favorite song from a genre you otherwise dislike? here's mine.

i normally hate rap, but i love this one song.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Usually hate R&B but I really like this for some reason

Also, pet peeve of mine; it's not rap, it's hip-hop. Rap is the technique usually used in hip-hop tracks.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Not a fan of this kind of music, I guess it's heavy rock, maybe soft metal? Fuck I dunno, the band's classified as metal apparently.
However, I like this.
<spoiler=Hearts Burst Into Fire - Bullet For My Valentine>
<youtube=0n3cUPTKnl0>

Failing that, this is a good mix of metal and melody:
<spoiler=Enter Shikari - Juggernauts>
<youtube=k4b-GEJh8AM>

Speaking of rap I actually like, here's Fort Minor.
<spoiler=Fort Minor - Remember The Name>
<youtube=VDvr08sCPOc>

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Run to the hills -iron maiden

I can't stand anything with a guitar and/or drums . The louder it is the less i like it . But for some reasons i really like this song .

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
TheBobmus said:
<youtube=VDvr08sCPOc>
Not my favourite, but that's gotta be up there in the "genre I don't like" category. Along with 99 Problems, and Power.

<spoiler=A Better version of 99 Problems><youtube=onDh4P1cE2E>

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Hazy992 said:
Also, pet peeve of mine; it's not rap, it's hip-hop. Rap is the technique usually used in hip-hop tracks.
To be fair, though rap is merely a type of hip-hop, it's useful to differentiate the two. Hip-hop music doesn't necessarily have to feature rap.
You could draw a parallel with dubstep and other electronic music. The 'dubstep sound' is specific, and therefore we can draw together all the things with that in it and group them together.

Let the pet peeve go bro :D

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
JEBWrench said:
TheBobmus said:
<youtube=VDvr08sCPOc>
Not my favourite, but that's gotta be up there in the "genre I don't like" category. Along with 99 Problems, and Power.
I love that Hugo cover, though it's a bit of a cheat as it converts a genre I don't like to one I do!
Would you prefer Fort Minor vs. The Verve? (This song amuses me greatly)
<youtube=DycuD3bHjV8>

Cakes

Aug 26, 2009
TheBobmus said:
To be fair, though rap is merely a type of hip-hop, it's useful to differentiate the two.
I don't think that's the case, you wouldn't refer to "singing" as a genre in and of itself. "Rap Music" isn't really even a thing, except as another term for Hip Hop.

Logiclul

Sep 18, 2011
I normally hate rap, but Lose Yourself by Eminem is too good to discriminate.

<youtube=P4Uv_4jGgAM>

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:
To be fair, though rap is merely a type of hip-hop, it's useful to differentiate the two. Hip-hop music doesn't necessarily have to feature rap.
You could draw a parallel with dubstep and other electronic music. The 'dubstep sound' is specific, and therefore we can draw together all the things with that in it and group them together.

thanks for saying this. i didn't feel like being argumentative or splitting hairs, so thanks for doing it for me. :D

the way i see it, Rap is to Hip-Hop what Metal is to Rock. the latter might have developed from the former and they may be similar sometimes, but they have enough consistent differences in style to be distinct genres.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:

No it's still just hip-hop. Rapping is a technique not a genre or sub genre. It's like calling rock music 'guitars music'

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
TheBobmus said:
I love that Hugo cover, though it's a bit of a cheat as it converts a genre I don't like to one I do!
Would you prefer Fort Minor vs. The Verve? (This song amuses me greatly)
That was actually pretty excellent - I think I actually like that better than the original.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Cakes said:
TheBobmus said:
To be fair, though rap is merely a type of hip-hop, it's useful to differentiate the two.
I don't think that's the case, you wouldn't refer to "singing" as a genre in and of itself. "Rap Music" isn't really even a thing, except as another term for Hip Hop.
Not the same thing. Though hip-hop is sometimes used synonymously with rap, they are not the same thing.
Hip-hop refers to the style of the music used, from particular beats, to scratching, to sampling. You can have a hip-hop track without rapping.

Rapping is also clearly not the same as singing, and to argue otherwise would be silly.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
Lev The Red said:
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:

thanks for saying this. i didn't feel like being argumentative or splitting hairs, so thanks for doing it for me. :D

the way i see it, Rap is to Hip-Hop what Metal is to Rock. the latter might have developed from the former and they may be similar sometimes, but they have enough consistent differences in style to be distinct genres.
You can see it however you want it doesn't make it true. Rapping is not a genre, it is a technique. It's like calling 'playing guitar' a genre.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Hazy992 said:
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:

No it's still just hip-hop. Rapping is a technique not a genre or sub genre. It's like calling rock music 'guitars music'
But then how do we distinguish between hip-hop songs with rap and those without?
Answer: Call it rap music, surely!?

Look at my reply to the other guy for more clarification.

EDIT: It's a subgenre, just in the same way Screamo is a subgenre of metal. Screaming is a technique, but we want to single out those with screaming in for ease of reference. Therefore it becomes a subgenre.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:

But then how do we distinguish between hip-hop songs with rap and those without?

What would you call a metal track without singing? An instrumental I'm guessing? Same thing.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
TheBobmus said:
EDIT: It's a subgenre, just in the same way Screamo is a subgenre of metal. Screaming is a technique, but we want to single out those with screaming in for ease of reference. Therefore it becomes a subgenre.
Screaming is a technique used in Screamo. The screaming probably makes it count as screamo but that doesn't make the screaming itself its own genre.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Hazy992 said:
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:
TheBobmus said:
Hazy992 said:

What would you call a metal track without singing? An instrumental I'm guessing? Same thing.
I'd call it metal. An instrumental refers to a song you've taken the singing out of.
Hip-hop without rap came first. It exists without it, and it's easier to separate the two by name.

Hazy992 said:
TheBobmus said:
Screaming is a technique used in Screamo. The screaming probably makes it count as screamo but that doesn't make the screaming itself its own genre.
Screaming is a technique used over metal songs, just like rapping is used over hip-hop. The very fact that you understand what I mean by 'screamo' means that the screaming does in fact denote it to its own subgenre.

To clarify my point: Rap is a type of hip-hop, but not all hip-hop is rap.

OZWIN

May 14, 2012
Johnny Cash's Hurt song which is arguably the best cover ever made. Other than that, I'm not really into country.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
OZWIN said:
Johnny Cash's Hurt song which is arguably the best cover ever made. Other than that, I'm not really into country.
Someone's gonna argue about that one?

Even Trent Reznor was moved by it.