Whats your favorite story

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
baconsarnie said:
The Hobbit, my most favourite book of all time.
If they fuck up the film then heads will roll.
Ok, I just have to say, I read this and then when my eyes flicked over to your avatar and saw Saruman glaring at me all angry like, I got chills down my spine. So great avatar dude.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
This is going to sound pretentious but Hamlet may be my favorite story ever. It's basically a simple revenge framework for a story that manages to be an insanely deep commentary on the human condition. It's incredible to me that it can deal with themes and questions that are relevant even now. To this day I like to go back and reread individual scenes, and as my life changes I find different meanings in it.

Beyond that, I love science-oriented stories - Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton and Contact by Carl Sagan are two of my favorite. I like them because they establish a scientific framework for the story and STICK TO THEM.

As far as more imaginative sci-fi goes, I really like the setting for Alien and Half Life 2. I think their approaches to extra-terrestrial life make way more sense than your average story about aliens (one simply uses you as a host for part of its reproductive/evolutionary cycle, the other is an expansionist empire that terraforms planets under its control and basically "redesigns" its subjects to fit whatever purpose it needs. Plus it has buildings that EAT OTHER BUILDINGS).

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Binnsyboy said:
It was a dark and stormy night. The captain of the ship gathered his crew, and called out to his first mate, "tell us a story, mate!"

And so, the first mate said, "It was a dark and stormy night. The captain of the ship gathered his crew, and called out to his first mate, "tell us a story, mate!"

And so, the first mate said, "It was a dark and stormy night. The captain of the ship gathered his crew, and called out to his first mate, "tell us a story, mate!"

Until finally, the captain put an end to it by pushing him overboard. The End.
I find it funny that there's a different version of that to the one I know. No idea why I do.

OT: Hmmmmmm, I'm gonna say Avatar the Last Airbender just because I grew up watching the story evolve.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Gabanuka said:
Binnsyboy said:
It was a dark and stormy night. The captain of the ship gathered his crew, and called out to his first mate, "tell us a story, mate!"

Until finally, the captain put an end to it by pushing him overboard. The End.
I find it funny that there's a different version of that to the one I know. No idea why I do.

OT: Hmmmmmm, I'm gonna say Avatar the Last Airbender just because I grew up watching the story evolve.
Shit, son! I'll be able to watch the next Korra on Sunday!

AWWWWWW YEEEEEAAAAHH!!!!

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Binnsyboy said:
Or you could watch it tommorow on air date at around 8pm GMT+1

http://pastebin.com/AacGkyk8

(this is assuming you arnt in the US and so are unable to watch it on Nick)

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Swyftstar said:
Probably the City Guard or the Witch series from Discworld. Vimes and Esme are two of my favorite characters ever.
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. Although Small Gods is probably my favorite novel in the Discworld cannon.

As for other stories I'm a pretty big fan of Scott Pilgrim. While I liked the movie a lot, the graphic novels are still some of my favorite things to read.

As for short stories: I've been fond of Steven King's short stories for a long time. It gives him a shorter vignette in which to study characters and how they interact in certain situations without dragging everything out and creating interesting worlds in which he never gets more than skin deep with.

I also enjoy a lot of Lovecraft's short stories. Nihilism at it's finest.

Failed captcha once second captcha: have an inkling. Wow, captcha's a little catty today.

Nov 28, 2007
Rylot said:
Swyftstar said:
As for short stories: I've been fond of Steven King's short stories for a long time. It gives him a shorter vignette in which to study characters and how they interact in certain situations without dragging everything out and creating interesting worlds in which he never gets more than skin deep with.

Failed captcha once second captcha: have an inkling. Wow, captcha's a little catty today.
Woo, another King fan. Have you read the short story "The Last Rung on the Ladder"? It's one of the later stories in "Night Shift", and it is incredibly good, if only for being a total departure from a normal Stephen King story.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Binnsyboy said:
Gabanuka said:
Binnsyboy said:

What is it, a livestream?

720p download, normally updated on the day, that site links the best one.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Gabanuka said:
Binnsyboy said:
Gabanuka said:
Binnsyboy said:

Well, I clicked it. Saw only one episode download and the rest were for a bunch of moments. Granted, I didn't look that hard, but it's really poorly laid out.

3quency

Jun 12, 2009
Favourite story? Interesting.
I think it would either be Watchmen or The Gone Away World - Nick Harkaway's début novel.
What I love about them is that everything ties into everything else - the plotting is meticulous, thorough and entertaining all the way through.

However, that doesn't mean either is my favourite thing of that genre, just my favourite story therein.

Though on a side note, I just started reading the Charlie Parker mystery books, the first one was somewhat interesting, if a little bit clichéd. Definitely piqued my interest.

Aarowbeatsdragon said:
Books- The chaos walking trilogy....just simply amazing if you havnt heard about it or have but havnt read go do it..the third book is just a masterpiece and the first 2 are amazing as well.
This would be The Knife of Never Letting Go et all? Because if so then massive high fives.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Binnsyboy said:
Gabanuka said:
Binnsyboy said:
Gabanuka said:
Binnsyboy said:

Well, I clicked it. Saw only one episode download and the rest were for a bunch of moments. Granted, I didn't look that hard, but it's really poorly laid out.
Yeh thats paste bin for ya, scroll down, the episode names are a tad jumbled but its all there.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
thebobmaster said:
Woo, another King fan. Have you read the short story "The Last Rung on the Ladder"? It's one of the later stories in "Night Shift", and it is incredibly good, if only for being a total departure from a normal Stephen King story.
No, I haven't read through Night Shift. Not sure how I missed such a critical collection of his writings... I should work on that... Anyway yeah, I like his anthologies because you sometimes find stories like that which are completely out of the norm for him but are still really good. One that comes to mind is "The Breathing Method" from the "Different Seasons" quartet. The story itself is interesting but the framing of a book club that possibly lies outside of space and time really interested me. It's also featured in "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands".

Another story that "The Last Rung on the Ladder" sounds similar to is one about a musician playing at a prohibition era wedding for a gangster and his overweight wife. It also features a black musician that the narrator didn't help as much at the time and regrets it now. Balls if I remember what the name of it is or what anthology it's in.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Favorite Videogame Story: Kingdom Hearts series

Favorite Book Story: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Favorite Play Story: Macbeth by William Shakespeare

Favorite Movie Story: The Dark Knight

Favorite Plot I enjoy: I would say the hopeless resistance or speck of goodness that overcomes the odds and evils to come out on top of all its adversaries. Oh, and plot twists; not so many that it turns into a Deus Ex Machina buffet, but sensible and ever-present elements in the plot that allow the plot twists to occur.

Favorite Genres: Action, Horror, and Comedy

Favorite Character of all time: Tony Stark/Iron Man played by Robert Downey, Jr.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
CODE-D said:
So yeah....when I ask that question what comes to mind

whether short story or long epic

videogame, book, play, movie

is there a certain plot you enjoy say like and underdog rising above

or a certain genre, fantasy, future, past, horror, action/adventure

favorite character of all time?

Just tell me what you can.
I don't tend to have 'favourites' of anything, since I like different things in different ways. I feel I can't simply compare, say, The Lord of the Rings movies to, say, Moulin Rouge or Romeo + Juliet (all of which are movies I love), when they are so different, so I wouldn't have a favourite among them, for example. Basically, that, but on a larger scale. That being said, I do have some types of story or character or whatever that I really love.

Kind of obviously given I'm on this site, I love sci-fi and fantasy a lot. Also, I'm one of probably a small number of guys who aren't film critics who loves romantic comedies. Films I love happen to include stuff as diverse as The Matrix (all three films plus the anime compilation), Independence Day, Seven Pounds, Hitch, Music and Lyrics, Inception, Black Swan, The Ghost, the Resident Evil movies, Sleepy Hollow, Silent Hill (the movie), Chatroom, the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Sereneity.

Character-wise, I have a special fondness for crazy eccentric types, usually female characters (known on TV Tropes as 'The Ophelia'). Also, Whedon-esque girls who are vulnerable and seem like they need protecting, but really happen to be pretty damn strong - though not necessarily kickass. Obvious examples would be characters like River Tam. But, playing through Katawa Shoujo, I'm finding my two favourite characters are Hanako (the waif-type character) and Emi (the strong outgoing type of character) - oddly enough, I guess. Meh, maybe that's just a male fantasy in general, but nevertheless... :p

Nov 28, 2007
Rylot said:
thebobmaster said:
No, I haven't read through Night Shift. Not sure how I missed such a critical collection of his writings... I should work on that... Anyway yeah, I like his anthologies because you sometimes find stories like that which are completely out of the norm for him but are still really good. One that comes to mind is "The Breathing Method" from the "Different Seasons" quartet. The story itself is interesting but the framing of a book club that possibly lies outside of space and time really interested me. It's also featured in "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands".

Another story that "The Last Rung on the Ladder" sounds similar to is one about a musician playing at a prohibition era wedding for a gangster and his overweight wife. It also features a black musician that the narrator didn't help as much at the time and regrets it now. Balls if I remember what the name of it is or what anthology it's in.
The entire Different Seasons anthology was a bit out of the norm. I mean, sure, each book had some horror stuff going on (except "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption"), but most of the horror was downplayed, and realistic, which was especially terrifying in "Apt Pupil". That is a damn creepy story.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
thebobmaster said:
The entire Different Seasons anthology was a bit out of the norm. I mean, sure, each book had some horror stuff going on (except "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption"), but most of the horror was downplayed, and realistic, which was especially terrifying in "Apt Pupil". That is a damn creepy story.
Yeah, that was a pretty book set of stories. I watched 'Apt Pupil' back shortly after it came out and was very impressed; I read the story a few years ago and was absolutely blown away. Very well done story.