What's your favourite RTS?

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
The Warcraft series and Age of Empires II

I shall wait for ever for a Warcraft 4 and proper sequel to a franchise I've played since 1 D:

Better come out before I get my Sniper rifle...

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
A lot of voting for AoE 2, but I tried to play it not long back and it's aged, doesn't feel as good as nostalgia is telling me it should be. Warcraft 3 on the other hand hasn't aged much at all (although it was always more limiting than AoE)

For futuristic, Supreme Commander is great, I play it all the time. Haven't got round to Supreme Commander 2 yet, but I'll need a new system to run it. If you haven't played either, I'd recommend playing Total Annihilation first. It's simpler, much older, but awesome. When you've mastered that (won't take long) move onto Supreme commander, and let the blitzing commence

cubikill

Apr 9, 2009
Any of the total wars series, sins of a solar empire, Company of heroes, Dawn of War 1/2, and world in conflict. And if you dont mind TBS Civilization 4, well i love them anyways.

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
Here's an obscure but original RTS :
Giant robots race, future nano robots that can travel through wires, and a generic race, it's really nice.

[HEADING=3]But my favorite has to be the Blitzkrieg series[/HEADING]

Son if you haven't played Blitzkrieg you need to stop bragging over what you know about RTS games.

Just look at this mission where you as the Red army need to hold your ground and counter atack agaisnt the entire german army(historical battles in campaign, but people still play multiplayer)

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
@Gindil: E.G. the quite-British Settlers-alike. 2D, very green, you had to get your people to reproduce by putting them in the same hut.

My choices:
1. Age of Empires (1 especially, but also 2+3+mythology)
2. Rise of Legends
3. Homeworld
4. Celtic Kings: Rage of War
5. Hegemony: Philip of Macedon.
6. Majesty
7. ParaWorld

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Dawn of War 1, as you might guess if you look to the left--until they nerfed the orks anyway, but even then I got a lot of mileage out of that one. Others might be...well, ARE... better than DoW but that one had a combination of so many things right that it was just pure easy fun.

May 25, 2010
If you want excellent storytelling then play Starcraft or Warcraft 3.

If you want badass gameplay, then Command and Conquer is your next stop. Except C&C4.

chris11246

Jul 29, 2009
1. Stronghold Crusader
2. Age of empires and Rise of Nations
4. Starcraft

Those are the ones I like. I was lucky to find Stronghold Crusader I got it for Christmas and it was really old when I got it.

LuminaryJanitor

Sep 23, 2009
I can't stand traditional RTSs any more. I had a blast with Dune II, and I put more hours into Warcraft II and C&C than I care to admit. But then, around the late '90s, they'd refined the formula about as far as they could, innovation came to a halt, and every traditional (base-building, resource-harvesting, unit-training) RTS since has been pretty much the same fucking game. Barely distinguishable from reskins of each other, with original ideas few and far between.

The only traditional RTS I could really recommend (to anyone who's played at least one of them post-Starcraft) is Supreme Commander - the only one I've played in the past decade which has attempted to improve on the established formula, rather than just rehash it. Then again, I never played Total Annihilation, so it may not be as novel as I think...
EDIT: Oh, and Company of Heroes wasn't half bad either.

Luckily, there are devs out there who aspire to more than just tiding people over between Blizzard releases. Take a look at
Dungeon Keeper / 2
Ground Control / 2
Darwinia
Sacrifice
Rome / Medieval II: Total War
Commandos / 2
Black & White
Brothers in Arms (ok, may be a bit of a stretch...)

Judas Iscariot said:
For pure awesome story telling you can't go past Warcraft 3.
You've got to be kidding me... Watching those misproportioned, awkwardly animated RTS units running around acting out cutscenes was one of the most cringe-inducing things I've ever seen...

Slavik_91

May 2, 2009
Tiberian Dawn, Tiberian Sun and xpack, Red Alert 1 and xpacks, Red Alert 2 and xpacks, Red Alert 3, Homeworld, Homeworld Cataclysm, Homeworld 2, Starcraft 2

I like RTS games :D

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
Got to go with The Battle For Middle-Earth. Dont know why, just really enjoy it. Of course, there's a bunch of other ones aswell.

zakski

Mar 24, 2009
Mechcommander 2
Supreme Commander and its expansion pack, Forged Alliance
Age of Empires 2 and its xpack, The Conquerors
Darwinia and Defcon
Ground Control 2 and World In Conflict
C&C Generals amd its xpack, Zero Hour
Homeworld 2
Company of Heroes
Emperor: Battle For Dune

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Rome: Total War, or Medieval 2. I can never decide which I like more.