What's your 'I love it, but it drives me up the f&$king wall!' game?

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I do love Mass Effect (playing it now for the first time) but I can't stand the Mako anymore. The amount of times I've been forced to drive MYSELF up a wall;

is downright f*cking ridiculous! Aside from that, it's a great game! :D

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, and DOTA2. I love playing them and I love that satisfaction when you get a good gank, win a game. On the other hand, getting griefers on your team, getting beat in your lane, and losing are some of the most frustrating things in the world.

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
Darksiders. I suck at video games thus i suck at puzzles and Darksiders loves to put its confounded puzzles in the way of my hacky slashy fun. Played it for about 40 hours though.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Angelowl said:
Rome and Medieval 2. The former, eventually you end up fighting all four roman factions at once. Can take care of one or two without to much work (even when outnumbered 1-6 on the strategic scale) but then all of them just zerg rush you everywhere. Unless I play the seleucids and end up in a three front war, vs cataphracts and infinite egyptians.

Medieval 2. Play as Byzantines, either you get stuck fighting all of Italy because they just drag you in, or everyone jumps on you, OR you manage to recapture the empire and suddenly Shitloads of fully upgraded mongols with maxed out generals in you own freaking backyard. Without any heavy spearmen or lancers if I'm unlucky. Always outdated faction, with nearby italians and close proximity to the mongol horde.

Otherwise Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles works as well. Look! Enemy spawns, crits and kills your character. Restart level. AGAIN.
Oh Rome 1. What fond memories i have. I played the Brutii and went conquering. Since the regions on the greek side of the map are all very wealthy i ended up with tons and tons and tons and tons of money by the time the big war with the other roman states broke out, that i could just buy every single roman army on the map via diplomats. I then went ahead and just conquered everything they owned with the armies they had control over just one turn ago. Fun times...

Anyway at the moment i would say Xenonauts.
It's a stellar game, but it's in beta so the main reason it's frustrating are those bugs and...
What the hell... That Alien was supressed! No Way he had enough time units to get down there and shoot my guy!
Yeah as i said, bugs and .... stuff.

Stupid xenonauts...

But Seriously as much as the game is frustrating it really is a true sequel to the xcom franchise. Don't get me wrong the new Xcom is good, too, but it just doesn't have the right feel to it and not the complexity the original had. Xenonauts has those things and makes a lot of things even better than the original. It's Frustrating, but it's hurting us because it loves us ... or hates us, either way it's fun!

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
CorvusFerreum said:
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. A thousand times Chivalry.

A tense gripping melee combat experience unlike any other. But on the other hands quite often a bug riddled mess or a lagfest. It's can also be frustrating like hell with all the LMB spamming teammates running around killing you and pesky archers cracking your skull with a crossbow bolt right after you left the spawn or the ton of weird bugs.
Have I also mentioned the bugs? [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-72_xME5ZOg]

But boy, do I fucking love this game. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5A0Swtd1Gs]
I would advise trying the maul if you haven't already. It can be a little bit frustrating with how slow it is, but the sickening smashing sound it makes whenever it connects is so satisfying, especially when you kill them with a hit to the head.

As for me, Skyrim. My biggest gripe is the stupid finishing move system and how you can be killed at full health. FULL. HEALTH. Love it so much though.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
I don't typically play games if I'm not having fun. However, I'm playing Heavy Rain right now and I really like the story and I love how you only have a couple seconds to make decisions and everything is autosaved so you can't go back and redo a section. It makes things much more tense and makes your choices seem more real. I also feel like it's showing me what kind of person I am. With most games I can see how something plays out and then load a quick save. In Heavy Rain, everything is permanent and I have to act fast, so I feel like my actions better reflect how I would actually react, not how I'd like to think I'd react. What I've learned so far is that, when placed in a threatening situation, killing someone isn't as much of a last resort for me as I always thought it was.

For as much as I'm gushing about this game, the controls drive me crazy. I hate quick time events, and that's all this game is. But even when there aren't QTE sections, just moving around is painfully awkward. There's a section where you have to crawl around through a tunnel and the controls there are so awful and unresponsive, it took every ounce of willpower I had to resist the urge to throw my controller through the window

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
Fallout: New Vegas, a game with which I have an extremely complicated love/hate relationship. It's one of the best roleplaying experiences I've ever had, with fantastic writing and characters and crazy amounts of genuinely meaningful choices. Unfortunately, it's also so broken that I can never actually finish a playthrough, at least not without trudging through hair-tearing levels of freezing, framerate issues, and game-breaking bugs. I have so many ideas for interesting Courier builds to try out, but I'll probably never get to try them because this game just doesn't seem to want to let me play it.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Luminous_Umbra said:
CorvusFerreum said:
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. A thousand times Chivalry.

A tense gripping melee combat experience unlike any other. But on the other hands quite often a bug riddled mess or a lagfest. It's can also be frustrating like hell with all the LMB spamming teammates running around killing you and pesky archers cracking your skull with a crossbow bolt right after you left the spawn or the ton of weird bugs.
Have I also mentioned the bugs? [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-72_xME5ZOg]

But boy, do I fucking love this game. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5A0Swtd1Gs]
I would advise trying the maul if you haven't already. It can be a little bit frustrating with how slow it is, but the sickening smashing sound it makes whenever it connects is so satisfying, especially when you kill them with a hit to the head.

As for me, Skyrim. My biggest gripe is the stupid finishing move system and how you can be killed at full health. FULL. HEALTH. Love it so much though.
I tried every weapon in this game. I don't really like the maul as much as I like the poleaxe. Sure, the maul can instakill anything if you hit it on the head but there's just something about the poleaxe that feels better to me. Atm I'm mainly playing MaA with Norse Sword but I think I#ll switch again soon. Perhaps I return to my beloved Poleaxe or my equally loved Billhook, but the Zeihänder is tempting as well........

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Haven and Hearth for weird combat that is like Final Fantasy 6, Runescape's new combat system and a pile of dog shit combined into a poorly executed combat system where ANTS are your most common, and dangerous enemy for the first couple of hours. Yes, boars can gore you to death against a tree in seconds. But there are lots of ants. And I understand losing unspent XP and items at death, but.. spent levels? In a game as slow and tedious as this? That's just horrible.

Any game with random encounters.

Shin Megami Tensei: All of them. From the random encounters to MP being the second most valuable thing in the game next to MP healing items, enemies snubbing me an punching my lights out, in some games, the random, stupid stat distribution when I'm the healer of the group and it puts points into Agility of all things.. damnit, these games...

Also any game where the healer is about as durable as a wet tissue dipped in salsa then put in a smoker for several hours. Max HP ~30.

Chrono Cross. I like the story, sort of, and I like the cast of characters, Mexican stereotype maybe withstanding. I hate the combat so fucking much, and I also hate how it limits you on your stat-development. I hate that in all games. If you want to prevent grinding, then just lower experience gain rates, or something. Don't cut off any chance for that character to develop. That's dumb. This game is dumb.

Fallout 1. I once spent about a day on one battle. I really hate games with a single-player, turn-based strategy formula. They can go burn. But I love Fallout because it's so tactical, so full of depth and challenging. No, I didn't upgrade from that patch that took away the time limit. Who the fuck would do that?

And by extension, Minecraft. For the stupid stealth mechanics that make Sneaking useless, unless sneaking from other players, the glitches, the stupidity of it all, and the fact that armor protects you from drowning. Seriously? Wouldn't full Iron armor drown you more?

Yet I love it. I love the atmosphere, the player community, the soundtrack, the aesthetic, eveyr single goddamn pixel in this game means something, and I also like hanging cows on gallows because it's fun.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
I'll reiterate the Fire Emblem sentiments. Love the games to death, but sometimes random spawns (that it is impossible to be aware of on your first play through without a guide) result in a character dying. Which means you have to restart the whole level. "But wait!" says someone familiar with the game's mechanics, but who hasn't actually played them, "The game only makes you redo the whole level if the main character dies!" Get's laughed out of the room.

***** please, 100% tactical/survival rating, or nothing! Also, the characters are too much fun to let die :(

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Binnsyboy said:
RJ 17 said:
I'm actually going to go with GTA V for my most recently-played pick. :p

As much as I'm enjoying the game, there's a LOT of random crap that just pisses me off. Like those random police chases that go whizzing by. Sure they add a lot life to the city in that you're obviously not the only criminal in town so the cops actually do have other things to do, but they often end in big crashes, and if the crash happens near you you're more than likely to end up with a star or two just for being near the action.
Yeah, I've noticed that.

One particularly annoying instance was when I was on the way to a mission, and I was actually driving sensibly. Cue car chase. Criminal being chased's car plows the fuck into mine. Having made it quite some way without a scratch, this was... an unwelcome surprise.

So, I calmly exited the vehicle. Politely opened the door of the offender's car. And proceeded to beat him to the ground.

And the cops started taking shots at me, despite the fact they were coming after him with lethal force. :D
Yeah, something like that happened to me once. I was stuck in traffic (no way to get around it) when a chase comes by and the cop car slams into me. I went from just minding my own business to having a star. Well I can no longer sit in the traffic or the cop will drag me out of my car and bust my ass. So I throw it in reverse, run the cop over, now I'm up to 2 stars.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Pokemon as a whole. I love the raising of the creatures, the game stories are usually good fun and the ever improving art design and 3D worlds make it great to look at and explore.

But the appalling grind to get your Pokemon to post-game battling levels drives me to distraction.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
War of the Roses.

Fuck that game. It is so frustrating, but so fun.

Poleaxe, Longaxe and Warhammer spam. You don't know pain until you know that.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Back in the day, Halo 3 Matchmaking.

Jesus fucking Christ that was the funnest fucking retarded bullshit I've ever had the pleasure of putting up with.

I would say Dark Souls, but Dark Souls doesn't really drive me up the wall. It's frustrating as all hell, don't get me wrong, but I've never gotten mad at it really.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Probably the first two Fallout games.

I love them but they have quite an annoying tendency to have enemies one shot you via random criticals. What's that? You're wearing Brotherhood Power Armor and that one Super Mutant isn't doing any damage to you? All right, next turn, the super Mutant pulls off a crit that does around 130 damage and kills you. KTHXBYE!

And that's why you save often kiddies.

Also Skullgirls. I tend to get pretty salty when I horribly lose a bunch of matches in a row. Thankfully I don't have a mic and I don't insult them via text.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
Defiance... I love the concept. However, Trion doesn't know how to make an mmo, or run one. Company is in upheaval, it's basically a giant clusterfuck. Most players bought it new, then the season pass, and have since left before dlc1 even launched. They will be lucky to have anyone still playing by the time season 2 of the show even airs.

Xcom:EU I love this game, I'm still playing it and can't wait for the new dlc in November (a year later? Seriously?) but I've never been able to clear a single Classic run. Enemies with ridiculous accuracy and critical rates. Just when I think I'm doing good some Douchebag scores a 1hk from across the map. Then one of my team usually panics and kills another one of my team.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
Soul Sacrifice.
Think of the giant bosses from Monster Hunter or Dark Souls, but you have a limited number of attacks.

X-COM: Enemy Unknown
Only when you really need to make that shot, or you really need that enemy to not score a critical hit does the opposite happen.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
SMT IV. I was well-warned about its extreme difficulty, and indeed most of the time I like the systems it uses (teleport system could use some work though...), but annoyingly often it will result in battles that are one-sided curb stomps either for you or the enemy with very little middle ground. Much of the time deciding that relies on critical hits and misses triggering press turns or the loss of a turn, which is usually a factor out of your hands.

If the RNG doesn't like you, a physically-powerful enemy can get a critical hit resulting in them taking another turn immediately, and continue doing that in an infinite loop until you are either dead or too crippled to recover. Lots of bosses have done this to me and it gets irksome when I've been doing well up until that point.