What's your 'I love it, but it drives me up the f&$king wall!' game?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
what is that one game that drives you up the f&%king wall, but you can't help but play (and like)?

Recently, I've been playing 'Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg' on the Gamecube and, whilst this game stresses me out so much, I can't help but keep playing and liking it.

There are moments where the game glitches, causing deaths, the camera sucks, the controls could do with improving, and the level design, in parts, could be less confusing. Yet, still, I can't stop myself from wanting to complete all missions, despite frequent moments of cursing and wanting to throw my controller across the room.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I was enjoying Monster Hunter 3DS pretty recently, but then I got to the underwater fights and the Gobul.
Slow, sluggish, boring fight where the enemy has like fucking loads of health. And can restore it. And can paralyze you. Bloody Gobul.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
I was enjoying Monster Hunter 3DS pretty recently, but then I got to the underwater fights and the Gobul.
Slow, sluggish, boring fight where the enemy has like fucking loads of health. And can restore it. And can paralyze you. Bloody Gobul.
My memory is hazy , but doesn't he come out of the water every so often? But i do remember him , and fighting him underwater is terrible . But then again , fightinf anything underwater would most likely suck .

OT: I feel like i always mention this game but UMVC3 . This is the game that i have played the most this gen . Bought an arcade stick and eveything for it . I love it to death, but it makes me feel so many emotions in one sitting . Happiness , fear , anger , rage , sadness , dissapointment, more rage , excitement , nervous , stress, even more rage . Not all at the same time mind you , but i could go through all that in session.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
X3 (any of them)

I love them to bits, but good god the AI/UI can get a bit stupid at times

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Just yesterday the original Bioshock. I thought I would play it again because it's been a while but was the gameplay always so... Bad? I mean I had to suffer through Bioshock 2 as well, but after the first few hours you get the drill charge move and it turns into me pumping points into drill tonics and using it exclusively while making horrible Gurren Lagann references on every kill.

I remember at least partly enjoying the gameplay between story pieces but apparently not. What is that machine gun? Seriously, wet tissue paper doesn't even begin to describe how shit it feels.

Also League, partly because i'm swapping between League and DOTA 2, respectively a game where people call gg in character select every other game, half of them can't play to save their lives and all of them convince themselves they're going to lose lane automatically because "counterpicked lol" so they lose lane without even trying. The other is just a raging Russian simulator. Playing League in DOTA mode is kind of jarring.

Why can't we five minute Baron again? Oh right because Riot tries for a semblance of game balance.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Terramax said:
There are moments where the game glitches, causing deaths, the camera sucks, the controls could do with improving, and the level design, in parts, could be less confusing. Yet, still, I can't stop myself from wanting to complete all missions, despite frequent moments of cursing and wanting to throw my controller across the room.
Yep, that sounds like Sega.

On an unrelated note, I always find it hilarious when people censor their swears over the internet instead of just using another word entirely.

OT: I'm not really sure. I guess, in a pinch, perhaps the Kingdom Hearts franchise and World of Warcraft?

At least, they're the first ones that come to mind with lasting feelings of resentment after I've played them, since there are plenty of games that will annoy me while I'm playing.

In the case of Kingdom Hearts, it's because they make actual, technical 100%-ing of the games so gorram difficult to do. I've got 99% in Birth by Sleep right now and doubt I'll ever get that last 1% because it would require me to beat the most BS boss in the game with two of the three playable characters.

In the case of World of Warcraft, it's far more complicated. I love and hate the game at the same time, but am mostly disappointed because my raiding guild fell apart, and while it was annoying to smash our heads against the same boss week after week, it was still fun to just chill out and chat and joke with them.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
krazykidd said:
hazabaza1 said:
My memory is hazy , but doesn't he come out of the water every so often? But i do remember him , and fighting him underwater is terrible . But then again , fightinf anything underwater would most likely suck .
There are certain areas but he really doesn't like to and you might have to fish him out with frogs if he feels like not coming up. But he hardly stays up long enough to learn his patterns or for me to deal some decent damage, and if he does for some reason decide to come to the area where you can fish him out it seems like fucking everything else in the water also likes frogs.
Pricks.

But yeah, even fighting something as simple as a Royal Ludroth underwater in that game is a giant fucking hassle. Christ knows who thought it'd be a good idea.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Cod Zombies. It's such a fun experience alone or with buddies, but holy hell can it get annoying when you are 2-hit-killed, with the improved health perk sometimes hard to obtain.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Dark Souls...

I love the dark atmosphere and vast unique environments.
I hate the time-sink of traversing across them two dozen times...

I love the creative bestiary and characters you deal with.
I hate the convoluted way side-quests and hidden paths are set up...

I love the style of gameplay driving me to explore and discover new things on my own.
I hate the style of gameplay driving me to shamelessly look up a guide for basic mechanics...

I hate Dark Souls. Can't bloody wait for the sequel.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
That gif needs a big "Nope" in there somewhere.

My game would be Oblivion. I loved it, but hated the hoops I needed to (sometimes literally) jump through in order to level up even halfway decently.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Counter-Strike. I still need to get my crosshair placement straight.

And any Fire Emblem game. To reward me for my hard efforts, some baddie gets a critical and permakills a character. Not the boss, just some grunt with an axe.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
Rome and Medieval 2. The former, eventually you end up fighting all four roman factions at once. Can take care of one or two without to much work (even when outnumbered 1-6 on the strategic scale) but then all of them just zerg rush you everywhere. Unless I play the seleucids and end up in a three front war, vs cataphracts and infinite egyptians.

Medieval 2. Play as Byzantines, either you get stuck fighting all of Italy because they just drag you in, or everyone jumps on you, OR you manage to recapture the empire and suddenly Shitloads of fully upgraded mongols with maxed out generals in you own freaking backyard. Without any heavy spearmen or lancers if I'm unlucky. Always outdated faction, with nearby italians and close proximity to the mongol horde.

Otherwise Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles works as well. Look! Enemy spawns, crits and kills your character. Restart level. AGAIN.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
Oh. My. God. Counter-Strike.

Even in a perfectly lag free environment, shooting is such a *****. Bullets don't consistently go right where the crosshair is even when you stand perfectly still and tap. Nope, you have to burst in a way that will simply give you the greatest chance of a precise hit. Couple this with the fact that every shot missed makes the next shot exponentially harder to hit, lag can throw your shot off both by messing up when you stop and where the enemy is, and that bullets will occasionally just plain old refuse to register, and you get a recipe for a lot of rage. Yet, it makes stonewalling a five man rush with awesome spraying or one shotting an awper with the ak from across the map so so satisfying.

Any other game would have made me stop playing by now if it tried this stuff, but several thousand hours later, I'm playing.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
Well, it sounds like Sonic Team, that's for sure.

On an unrelated note, I always find it hilarious when people censor their swears over the internet instead of just using another word entirely.
Doesn't give the same emphasis.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'm actually going to go with GTA V for my most recently-played pick. :p

As much as I'm enjoying the game, there's a LOT of random crap that just pisses me off. Like those random police chases that go whizzing by. Sure they add a lot life to the city in that you're obviously not the only criminal in town so the cops actually do have other things to do, but they often end in big crashes, and if the crash happens near you you're more than likely to end up with a star or two just for being near the action.

And speaking of random police chases, every now and then when you switch to Trevor he's already got 2 stars and is being chased by the cops. Sure it makes sense for his character, but now you've got to lose 2 stars before you can actually do what you were intending to do as him.

These are very minor grievances, though, but they still make me say "God Damnit" out loud every time they happen.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
DOTA 2 fits nicely here. Seriously, fuck that game's ELO and herp-a-derp matchmaker. If you're going to aggressively force someone to a 50% W/L ratio, here is how you do it...

WWLWLLWLLWWWLWLLLWWLLWLLLWLWWW

This is how DOTA 2 does it.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

You just get stressed out while winning because you know the inevitable epic losing streak is your eventual reward, and when you're losing it feels like it's never going to end, and all pleasure gets sucked out of the game.

And 90% of those games are one sided curb stomps, where it's either you and four jingle-heads against a team of professional all stars, or it's you and a crack squad of wunderkind against five slumbering morons who start the match by tower diving you at level 1. The games all end 55-14 or something atrocious, and everyone morosely intones "gg" and "wp" even though it was tedious, lopsided, and completely without anything remotely resembling "good game play".

Of course, when you do get that occasional tight game that goes back and forth, the game is brilliantly fun and addictive, so you keep coming back and supping on shit, waiting for that rare actual meal.

The worst part about this is ELO of this nature works perfectly fine in, say, Starcraft 2, so I'm not sure why it's such a clusterfuck in DOTA.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Terramax said:
shrekfan246 said:
Well, it sounds like Sonic Team, that's for sure.
Sega's PC games are pretty reliably going to be buggy and/or horribly optimized as well.

Doesn't give the same emphasis.
Well, I can only speak for myself, but when I see something censored like in the thread title, I generally read it how I would say it, which would mean muting the actual biting part of the word. Therefore removing a lot of the emphasis.

But I'm weird.

Mikejames said:
Dark Snips...

I hate Dark Souls. Can't bloody wait for the sequel.
Very well put. :D

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Fallout New Vegas.

I love that game, I really do. But I notice so many little mistakes and fuck-ups in design and gameplay that it makes me criticize it more than praise it. Which is a shame, because I really do like it! I really do! >.>

BleedingPride

Aug 10, 2009
Devil May Cry 3 had the same effect on me when I first played it, and so did splinter cell conviction (so good, but so broken! really glad with how blacklist turned out). Also Battlefield 3, it's great but I really REALLY suck at it.