What's your 'I love it, but it drives me up the f&$king wall!' game?

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
Awesomenauts. Seriously one of the funnest games I've ever played, but I suck so damn hard at it. It's not being a newbie, either, I've played the shit out of it and am still completely horrible at it.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura is this way too. Love the setting, the characters, the gameplay... but at a certain point you just run out of quests to do until your discover the next city, which can only be done through the main quest... but the main quest quest you have to do to get there requires you to be a lot of higher level than you can get with the quests in the area available to you.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. A thousand times Chivalry.

A tense gripping melee combat experience unlike any other. But on the other hands quite often a bug riddled mess or a lagfest. It's can also be frustrating like hell with all the LMB spamming teammates running around killing you and pesky archers cracking your skull with a crossbow bolt right after you left the spawn or the ton of weird bugs.
Have I also mentioned the bugs? [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-72_xME5ZOg]

But boy, do I fucking love this game. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5A0Swtd1Gs]

Angelowl said:
Rome and Medieval 2. The former, eventually you end up fighting all four roman factions at once. Can take care of one or two without to much work (even when outnumbered 1-6 on the strategic scale) but then all of them just zerg rush you everywhere. Unless I play the seleucids and end up in a three front war, vs cataphracts and infinite egyptians.

Medieval 2. Play as Byzantines, either you get stuck fighting all of Italy because they just drag you in, or everyone jumps on you, OR you manage to recapture the empire and suddenly Shitloads of fully upgraded mongols with maxed out generals in you own freaking backyard. Without any heavy spearmen or lancers if I'm unlucky. Always outdated faction, with nearby italians and close proximity to the mongol horde.
ALso this. I feel your pain, mate.

Captcha: Hard captcha is hard

SO META!

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Ninja Gaiden 2

Even the creator admitted it was poorly balanced. So yeah.

Also, Jedi Academy multiplayer. There's nothing else like it and it's incredibly fun but the hit detection can be... retarded. Also, random damages can be really stupid as well. Oh, that guy just glanced you with his saber? HEADSHOT! 30000000 damage!!!!111! It really doesn't happen often at all but when it does... >_>

Juste Goose

Aug 1, 2013
The original Castlevania. It's my favorite NES game besides Mega Man 2, but I just can't beat Death. I cruise along all the levels leading up to him with no problems, but I can't beat him. Sometimes I want to play it, but stop myself, because I know it'll put me in a bad mood...

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
FTL

That game can break me down like the ***** I am, but I'll still come crawling back looking for more pirates to kill

Still sucks how my missile can miss 3 times in a row, even if it clearly goes across the ship >.<

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Mikejames said:
Dark Souls...
[im g]http://25.media.tumblr.com/d93878e7a28174a833b73ef45a34efbf/tumblr_msrk0mtTg61scsalxo1_400.gif[/img]

I love the dark atmosphere and vast unique environments.
I hate the time-sink of traversing across them two dozen times...

I love the creative bestiary and characters you deal with.
I hate the convoluted way side-quests and hidden paths are set up...

I love the style of gameplay driving me to explore and discover new things on my own.
I hate the style of gameplay driving me to shamelessly look up a guide for basic mechanics...

I hate Dark Souls. Can't bloody wait for the sequel.
The Cave.....The F*CKING CAVE!!!!!!
Me too waiting Dark Souls 2.....It is one of the few hard games I really like.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
I would love Dark Souls if it didn't keep trying to make me hate it.

The game has so many great qualities and it doesn't need to be such a pain to be an awesome game.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Godhand for me. It is a really fun game, but at the same time it is an excercise in controller snapping frustration, especially in the latter stages of the game.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
KoudelkaMorgan said:
My game would be Oblivion. I loved it, but hated the hoops I needed to (sometimes literally) jump through in order to level up even halfway decently.
I would have said this a few months ago. But 5 years after its release, using a decent PC (yeah took me ages to upgrade, mod the hell out of that levelling system, fix the graphics to make NPCs bearable to look at... et voila! A brilliant experience that I now thoroughly enjoy.

OT: I gotta say:

Any Silent Hill game between 1 and 4. Mostly because they're so damn scary. I love them and hate them for it. I'm a huge wimp with horror.

Star Fox Adventures. Say what you like about SFA, it's a damn good game even if Fox shouldn't have been stapled to it. But goodness me are there ever some terrible controls and utterly unfair sections in this game. Took me about a year to complete on and off. Forced inverted aiming with no option to switch? No thank you. But... yes, yes at the same time. I'm so confused!

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
I was enjoying Monster Hunter 3DS pretty recently, but then I got to the underwater fights and the Gobul.
Slow, sluggish, boring fight where the enemy has like fucking loads of health. And can restore it. And can paralyze you. Bloody Gobul.
Heavy Bowguns is your answer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oE2yc2ZCec (Not mine)

I don't find it "hard" fighting underwater in my early hours, but just annoying, especially when those monsters starts charging back and forth. Gobul itself is not that hard compared to a Lagiarcus or a Ceadeus.

Back on Topic, pretty much the same game, but a different reason.
The "Desire Sensor", or in other name the RNG/droprates when regarding what parts/items you get.

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Just yesterday the original Bioshock. I thought I would play it again because it's been a while
Hey, that's funny. Me too!

It's nowhere near as scary as I remember. I love it to bits, but I really hate how the game loves spawning enemies in behind you.

Main one at the moment for me would be Dark Souls. It's one of my favourite games ever. But last night I was invaded 5 times in a row by a Darkmoon using Tranquil Walk of Peace and Wrath of the Gods to kill me. Not any fun for me to deal with, nor can I really understand how such an easy kill would be fun to do.

Crowns18

Jan 16, 2010
Mikejames said:
Dark Souls...

I love the dark atmosphere and vast unique environments.
I hate the time-sink of traversing across them two dozen times...

I love the creative bestiary and characters you deal with.
I hate the convoluted way side-quests and hidden paths are set up...

I love the style of gameplay driving me to explore and discover new things on my own.
I hate the style of gameplay driving me to shamelessly look up a guide for basic mechanics...

I hate Dark Souls. Can't bloody wait for the sequel.
you're so right, you're so right I hope the sequel makes me cry of frustration 'cause this one almost did

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Aeshi said:
X3 (any of them)

I love them to bits, but good god the AI/UI can get a bit stupid at times
Is it any better than the previous games? I remember trying to play the first X game, goes 15 minutes in and thought "Screw you guys, I'm going home" because of the UI and controls.

OT: Mount and Blade Warband. Each individual part of it is frustrating and poorly made, but for some reason I enjoy it together as a whole.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Proverbial Jon said:
*snippity snip*
You said appearance mods and piqued my interest. Could you direct me to them, por favor?

OT: Mine would probably be Mirror's Edge. Any game with parkour elements is highly addicting to me, so I gravitate to it like a toddler to chocolate milk. When I'm in the zone, it's an incredible game and I have so much fun. When I make a mistake, I keep making mistakes and will be swearing at the screen for at least half an hour. Then I'll bet past it and be having fun again. Until the next mistake.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
There are certain areas but he really doesn't like to and you might have to fish him out with frogs if he feels like not coming up. But he hardly stays up long enough to learn his patterns or for me to deal some decent damage, and if he does for some reason decide to come to the area where you can fish him out it seems like fucking everything else in the water also likes frogs.
I've only ever had Plesioth or Gobul eat frogs. Did you try fishing like normal, with the A button? To use a frog, you have to select it and hit the X button. The nearby fish will ignore the frog and you'll know you used one because the bait you throw out is shaped like it. :p

But mine would also have to be Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Not for underwater battles, though. I don't actually mind underwater combat. What grinds my gears is the Desire Sensor. I cannot, for my life, get common materials when I need them. I fought 4 Rathalos yesterday for Rathalos Shells and only got 1 shell per monster. But I also got 3 Rathalos Plates, one of the rarest drops you can get. Oh, Random Number Goddess, thou art a heartless *****.

I also hate Brachydios. Because he's an unbalanced piece of crap that never EVER leaves Rage Mode. Fuck him.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
This thread has Super Meat Boy written all over it.

Minecraft also, I love it, but no other game gives me as much anger and heartbreak. Whenever I die somewhere far from home and/or lose all my items I get so angry I usually rage quit the game for weeks.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Most of the Bit.Trip games.

I came for the music and the music gets better the better you play. Problem is, the games a really tricky. They're *really* fun but they are *really* hard, at least for me.