What's your most horrifying accidental game moment? *Potential Spoilers within*

Blazingdragoon04

May 22, 2009
Title is a bit confusing, I'll admit, but I can't think of a better way to explain it in one line.

Basically, what was the most horrifying thing you've ever done in a video game on accident; either due to pushing a wrong button, having an unclear dialogue choice, or some other scenario?

For me, it had to be the time I was playing The Walking Dead. In episode 2, right at the beginning you are forced to make a choice on how to save a man caught in a bear trap with no release latch. This being my first play through, I tried all the options before having to resort to trying to cut his leg off. Kenny was yelling at me to hurry up by the time, so I went fast. After the 2nd cut in, where the cut is about 2/3rds of the way through, the game makes me bail on the poor guy since the zombies got too close.

I'll reiterate that: I tried to save a man from zombies by cutting his leg off. Instead, I only chopped it MOSTLY off, leaving him with a huge painful wound, and then bailed on him before finishing the job and left him to be eaten by zombies.

To this day it still haunts me what I did to that poor man, haha. It was just so... brutal, yet I had no control over it which made it kind of funny, yet all the more horrifying.

So, fellow escapists... share with me your stories!

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
I let the adoring fan from oblivion follow me around, killed him and went to sleep only to find him standing over the bed when I awoke.
After which I made him stand in the cellar in Skingrad surrounded by sigil stones making that weird noise.

Less accident per say. Unless you count flying of the tallest point in the game with a face full of feathers accidental.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Oh, I've got one from earlier today, actually.

Playing Diablo II, I was holding Alt down to scan the ground for items/gold while running around and hit F4 to switch my hotkeyed ability... cue the game closing down on me. I'll have to change around that keybinding I think...

Well, that's probably not the most horrifying, but it'd take a bit for me to remember back through all of the years...

Maybe when I originally got my PS2, for the first two days I didn't have a Memory Card but I didn't want to wait to play Final Fantasy X. So I left it on overnight, while I was at school, doing homework, etc. until I reached the fight against Seymour Flux on Mount Gagazet... and promptly lost. Without a save file.

EDIT: Ah, all of the Dark Souls posts have made me remember another one. There's an NPC pretty early on that you can release from captivity and he'll go to Firelink Shrine and just kinda hang out there by the silent Fire Keeper being all creepy, until a bit later in the game when
he kills her, takes her Soul, and runs off to another version of Anor Londo in the chamber directly before Ornstein & Smough. I invaded his Anor Londo, killed him and took the Soul back, and then a few days later having forgotten it was for Firelink Shrine, used it to power up my Estus Flasks.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I accidentally shouted at some NPCs once. By shouted, I mean Skyrim shouting. I only had the first word for Storm Call and I had it as my active shout. I was happily going about selling things in Whiterun, and then I put my controller down. Since the PS3 has no guards on the triggers, my character said the shout, and meteors rained from the sky at all the innocent villagers. People started chasing me while I was saying "I didn't mean to!".

I reloaded, but I still felt bad.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Accidentally ran over a journalist in Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. No big deal, right? You're always accidentally killing pedestrians in GTA-like games. Except the fine for killing a journalist turned out to be HALF A MILLION DOLLARS. And I had just caught a face card, and hadn't saved in between.

Reloading time it was.
- -

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Voulan said:
I accidentally shouted at some NPCs once. By shouted, I mean Skyrim shouting. I only had the first word for Storm Call and I had it as my active shout. I was happily going about selling things in Whiterun, and then I put my controller down. Since the PS3 has no guards on the triggers, my character said the shout, and meteors rained from the sky at all the innocent villagers. People started chasing me while I was saying "I didn't mean to!".

I reloaded, but I still felt bad.
Haha I did that at the end of the Civil War storyline when I was celebrating with the Stormcloaks, they were giving a big speech, and I thought I'd add some atmosphere by calling a storm. I didnt realize it would kill all of them....

Oh also when I saved over my Kingdom Hearts 2 playthrough that had about 30+ hours into it. It was my first playthrough ever too :(

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
The amount of times I get a jump instead of a super in BlazBlue... THANKS HALF CIRCLE! YOU'RE SUCH A SWELL GUY!

Naturally I can only super in the most clutch situation possible and any piss easy supers will just not come out or lol jumping heavy.

Don't even get me started on getting Mu's forward heavy (super unsafe push back move that only hits a certain distance away from her) instead of Origins (a barrier around her that pushes people away from her at point blank range.) That shit is annoying.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
In Dark Souls I accidentally hit and killed (Didn't realize his significance) Oswald of Carim and then later on in the game hit (Again, accidentally) Blacksmith Andrei.

I am not a clever man.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I forgot to collect Wrex's family armour, and had put no points into charm/intimidate. Because of this, Ashley shot Wrex in the back and killed him, so I left her to die on Virmire.

I was really fucking pissed off.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I was playing Farcry 3 towards the start of the year, and was driving along with some of my tribal homies in my jeep. I heard a tiger growl and looked behind whilst driving to see where it was, souldn't see it so looked forwards again...

...cue a vehicle coming the other way that I hadn't seen, cue clipping the front of that vehicle, launching me to the left suddely towards the wooden rail on the side of the coming bridge, cue my vehicle smashing through the barrier and falling the surprisingly high drop into the drink, cue my 3 chaps drowning...

Damn! :(

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
In Deus Ex Human Revolution, I totally missed the hostages. Apparently this kills them all. I was NOT AMUSED

And the time I almost beat the last level in Super Meat Boy....Which I still have never beaten.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I'm not sure it was horrifying but, well actually, yeah I guess it was in the end.

On my first playthrough of Fallout 3 I'd been doing my best to be as nice as possible, just because that's how I roll. About twenty hours into the game, I went back to the very first town you find when you leave the vault and, for some reason, I had to break into the town armory.

I didn't count on their being a robot in there that would start losing it's shit and firing at me, and I doubly didn't expect the game to autosave when I left the armory to find everyone in town trying to kill me.

Long story short: I had to murder most of the town on my way out, or face loading a save from three hours ago to maintain my saintly reputation.

Whoops.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Once in Dark Souls I manually used the Darksign thinking it would send me to the bonfire and make a bloodstain where I used it. It just gets rid of all your souls irreversibly instead. I had about 40k souls, and it was one of my earlier playthroughs. D:

I also killed the Fair Lady once by putting down my controller.

Oh and not giving Azura's Star to the elf and having it purified instead. (Skyrim)

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
In Dark Souls, I accidentally hit the Daughter of Chaos.

Most poeple who are familiar with the game will know how tragic and awful the cirumstances surrounds her are. I literally took my hands off my Mouse and keyboard (I had absolutely no trouble using it after a few fixes) for a full 15 seconds utterly appalled at what I had done.

Fortunately, she did not die and I didn't have to force myself to reroll a character because I was roll playing. I slowly and precisely moved away from her and remapped every key's secondary binding to empty, so that I couldn't ever do it again.

I quit and reloaded and everything was fine.

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
Company of Heroes 2 Beta. I've found it's a decent strategy to attack enemy positions during blizzards, because the enemy is stuck usually with only one set of cover that's close enough to a fire, and can't roll in support from other areas because of well, the blizzard.

Of course, sometimes it doesn't go very well, and I end up having a group of men who need to retreat to a fire, and are heavily wounded by combat. Hitting the retreat button won't help, they'd freeze to death before they got back to the base. So it becomes either a "keep going forward and hope you win" or "trudge back to the fire, lose more troops to the cold, and wait for the counter attack the moment the blizzard stops."

Given that the game delightfully includes animations for your soldiers freezing to death and falling down in the snow, it's rather horrifying when a blizzard attack goes wrong.

HemalJB

Oct 10, 2011
I was playing Final Fantasy 6 recently and once I saved Relm the first time (cave) I couldn't get her to join the party and later found her in Owzer's house. I had the feeling I missed something so I checked the net and then I realized that way back when I escaped the floating continent, I was supposed to wait for Shadow, and because I didn't, he's now dead. Dammit!

Also, it turns out I could have saved Cid as well. Double Dammit!!

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Playing Recettear and three days before I reached the end, I had over 2 million in cash from selling Cute Carpets to rich creep old men.

Then this whorish-skan- I mean npc:

Charges me 1.9 million for an item that I accidentally buy.

Anyone who played this game KNOWS how angering that shit is. I was so pissed that it got honestly vocal.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
In Mass Effect 3, when Udina was pointing a gun at the Asari Councilor and a renegade interrupt, popped up, I slammed down on the button. I was horrified when Shepard killed Udina, it just...it just happened so fast.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
I'd have to say its Dragon Age 2. I'm chillin, trying to console my homeboy Anders(we go way back) when all the sudden he takes it as a cue to engage in beard on beard combat. Sorry bro, never saw you that way