What's Your Opinion of Occupy?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Todd Ralph said:
The majority sound like spoiled rich kids and idiots who either never read the fine print line or insisted on living out of their means.
If you're not paying attention, that's probably exactly how it sounds.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
I don't know enough about the whole Occupy movement to be able to adequately form an opinion about it, but I do rather enjoy the myriad jokes made about them though.

I'm sure they have good intentions and I support them for that, even if there are some rather horrible people claiming to be a part of it.

And yes, I am serious.

You-know-who, if you happen to come across this post, please don't hurt me. <_<

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I like the ideals of the movement, I just can't stand the people who are part of it or the way they're going about trying to bring change.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
its really really stupid. lets face it this has three outcomes
1)they are ignored,arrested, and fade from history
2)they riot and lose with alot of people getting shot
3)they riot and win and we go into anarcy

all i know is if 3 happens we will have a civil war and ill tell you right now youll know what a millitary state really is.

Dec 14, 2009
A bunch of douchey hipster kids.

Well, the ones in my city anyway.

The great thing now, is that they've occupied for so long, that everyone has just gotten used to them being there, so nobody cares anymore.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
ecoho said:

all i know is if 3 happens we will have a civil war and ill tell you right now youll know what a millitary state really is.
Uh, not really.
3 is ridiculous, so go ahead and cross that out. Riots are possible, but they wouldn't reflect the entire Occupy movement, only a small violent percentage.

There's always the possibility, you know that people will start to work to change things. The OWS protesters may not be doing everything right, but neither are the police or the people covering the protests.

I think the Occupy movement extends to people who say something along the lines of "good idea, poor execution" or "I agree with their ideals, not with them" If you agree with them, then you are "the 99%." You're just not the ones that get news coverage because you're normal.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
The problems they are bringing up are legitimate. In America only 5% of people ever change social class (determined by tax bracket, I think). Rich people's kids invariably end up rich, middle-class kids end up middle-class, and poor and impoverished kids end up poor and impoverished, through no fault of their own.

That said, the protesters are just standing around yelling about this stuff. What are they trying to change? How do they think rich people who work hard for their money (I never said they don't work hard, just that working hard doesn't guarantee you success or even ends-meat) are going to fix these problems, even if they wanted to? I don't understand what they hope to accomplish by occupying anything.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain and most fools do.
--Ben Franklin

Sure we've got real problems, which occupy has managed to point out. But their usefulness ends there. They have no vision for what our country should look like, to say nothing of a plan for getting there. They need a leader and a vision, they have neither, and at this point they're just causing trouble.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
I think most of the protesters have good intentions and I understand why they're protesting... But I don't see anything really changing because of this.

I'd like to be proven wrong.

Vicarious Vangaurd

Jun 7, 2010
A bunch of self-entitled hipsters that don't actually know what they are talking about, but are rather upset about it. The real problem is that they are occupying Wall Street when Wall Street can't fix the economy (or socioeconomic tiers that are a part of pretty much all society) any more than the protesters can.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
The occupy movement is a sad confirmation of the dismal expectations I had for my generation. Moral subjectivity in the form of "whatever you want is true for you" and "everyone's opinion matters" is a road that leads to nothing.

Writers in past ages have analyzed the corrupting influence of wealth on government, they've described/predicted the problems we are in and outlined great solutions. The occupiers don't read these books, because they are lazy and use the excuse that all ideas are equally true / deserve equal weight to justify their laziness. Reading books is hard, it's easier to believe that ideas pulled out of their uneducated asses are just as good.

ranyilliams

Dec 26, 2008
Harley Duke said:
I feel it's a movement that's misunderstood mostly because it refuses to explain what it's all about to the (loud) people demanding answers. "Why not band together and put forth meaningful legislation if you want reform," I am asked, by people seriously why one wouldn't use the system already in place. "If the system has already been purchased, and the interests of the people are no longer truly at its heart, why would you think any kind of legislation it generates could be considered 'meaningful,'" I reply, confused that I was even asked the question.

The reason you see people sitting around in tents, discussing things but not necessarily taking actions yet, is because it is difficult to tack down what sort of action to needs to be taken when almost every road looks like it leads to ruin. Can we pass laws to increase corporate oversight? No, the legislation option is hopeless if we can't afford our own representatives to work against the ones corporate interests have purchased already. Will balancing the national budget help fix economic disparity? No, it won't do anything but quiet the woes of an ailing international economy; once the economy is alive and kicking again, the haves and have-nots will be largely the same people. Is it really to late to do anything about all of this? It can't be too late--and even if it is, we've got to try something. How can we change anything? Who knows, but we aren't going to get anywhere without a lot of people helping us. I feel like the reason we sit around like this is because acting without a plan would be pointless in this day and age. We already don't stand much of a chance; lashing out at random or pulling some wild stunt here and there is only going to hurt is, which a few of the more violent Occupy protests have already done.

But something we're doing is working, because you see police deployed to "keep the public safe" from us. You can look on YouTube for videos of peaceful protesters being approached and subsequently maced by police for the serious crime of "just sitting there." Why does just sitting in public to protest economic disparity and frustration with a corporate government present a significant danger to anyone, significant enough to warrant such a heavy police presence and such violent reactions? Clearly we're disturbing someone deeply; someone who controls the police perhaps, who isn't so interested in our cause. Napoleon wouldn't have sent in his dogs if he didn't think Snowball was a menace somehow, right?

We may look as though our idea is being poorly executed and that's because it is. But you don't improve any if you don't lose a little first. We need to figure out what we CAN do before we go about trying to accomplish what we SHOULD do. What's important is that hope can't die here or, to bring up Animal Farm again, "Life will go on as it has always gone on -- that is, badly."

Sorry for the wall of text. I'll give you the tl;dr -- I feel strongly that this is the right way to go, and while we don't have the specifics planned out, "not having a complete plan yet" is a pathetic reason to completely dismiss something as important as this has the potential to be.
^THIS.

It is very refreshing to see more people on the escapist that take my point of view. The system we live in is beyond broken, it needs to be changed. How can we live in a just and fair society when the same collection of companies control who gets elected, (Through corporate interest lobbying) who controls the media, (Most media networks are owned by a very small group of about 6-7 companies) and who controls the money supply (The Federal reserve banking system)

These establishments that are in place are what control everything, two of my favourite quotes seems very relevant right about now:

"Let me issue and control a Nation's money and I care not who makes its laws".
And
"The few who can understand the system will be either so interested in its profits, or so dependent on its favours, that there will be no opposition from that class, while, on the other hand, that great body of people, mentally incapable of comprehending the tremendous advantage that Capital derives from the system, will bear its burden without complaint and, perhaps, without even suspecting that the system is inimical to their interests."

Both were said by Mr. Amschel Bauer Mayer Rothschild of the Rothschild banking fortune in a letter to the american counterpart of his bank in 1838.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Bah, bunch of populists getting pepper sprayed.

None of what they'll do will matter when winter comes and the whitewalkers are raping our churches and burning our women.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
hannan4mitch said:
Voonhartking said:
good idea, poorly executed.
This. The OWS movement got dragged down because so many other things got tacked onto it, and the, erm, quality of these auxiliary things made OWS an easy target for IRL flaming.
As LiberalSquirrel said, by way of Roosevelt, the lunatic fringe of the OWS movement is killing it.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Reading the "original" goals/desires of the OWS Movement, I figured it was a somewhat lofty goal, but a respectable one nevertheless, to remove corporate influence from politics. However, I recently had the pleasure of both seeing one of the "Anon" men screaming out that some dude I had never heard of before was the "new devil" and other such nonsense, and a few days later read the...*ahem*...concise list of OWS's demands. I found out they not only wanted practically every last thing that people have been lobbying for for the last few years and then some, including, but not limited to, the magic creation of cheap, effective green technology, a toppling of ALL big business, not to mention the complete removal of capitalism, but that roughly 1 out of every 5 people interviewed had no idea what they were protesting for.

I'm sorry, it's very difficult to take anything like the above seriously.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Strongly support the movement. The current way things are being done will lead to a global economic breakdown if it is not changed immediately.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I enjoy making fun of them the same way my liberal acquaintances enjoyed making fun of the tea party. Are they the same? No. But is it still amusing to me? Yes.

Heck, one of my friends dressed up as a Occupier for Halloween

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Glerken said:
ecoho said:

Uh, not really.
3 is ridiculous, so go ahead and cross that out. Riots are possible, but they wouldn't reflect the entire Occupy movement, only a small violent percentage.

There's always the possibility, you know that people will start to work to change things. The OWS protesters may not be doing everything right, but neither are the police or the people covering the protests.

I think the Occupy movement extends to people who say something along the lines of "good idea, poor execution" or "I agree with their ideals, not with them" If you agree with them, then you are "the 99%." You're just not the ones that get news coverage because you're normal.
no i beleave they are self intitled fools who need to go get jobs instead of whining. protests are only for real problems not ones that could have been solved by them being smart or for heavens sake doing some hard work. i was unimploied for 3 years and you know what i did? i went out and found a fucking job and guess what? i have enough money that i can go to rome next year because i saved my money instead of spending it on things i cant afford.