What's Your View on Animal Rights?

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Lately I've been doing a paper for Civics on why I dislike PETA and many other AR organizations.

I think that their ideas are stupid and naive at best, and that they spend too much time focusing on animals suffering, rather than the benefits that other animals may get from it.

For instance, medical research done on animals, or hunting and farming animals for food (although there are certainly some instances of animal farming that are just plain messed up, like Veal).

I love animals, but I don't ignore that meat is half of the human diet, and that a lot of medical science we have today wouldn't be available without testing on other animals. Granted, if you are a supporter of animal rights, and your ideas and opinions actually make sense and can hold up in a debate about it, then I'd be more likely to agree.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Bottom line for me is that humans come first. Don't fuck with my food sources or tell me to eat soy just because the animals aren't treated well. We're at the top of the food chain, so we'll do whatever we want.

Now, being abusive to your pet or doing stuff like dog fighting...well, then I support animal rights. There's no reason for that stuff. If you hate animals that much, you can always avoid them.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I think cruelty towards animals is bad but i'm not going to go to as far as throwing paint on fur coats or anything that PETA does.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
If it's bred for food, it's bread for food.
I do believe that pets have right to a proper care and all that.

But meat is meat and if I am hungry I am not going to skip meals.
They wanted to have meatless days in the week here in the Netherlands.
Everyone should participate because it is good for the animals. Well the way I see it, one more day in those stables is another day of what you call torture. Plus that is one hefty way of forcing your views on someone.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
My view on animal rights?

I eat meat and wear leather. And I've gone hunting before. So yeah. I have no problem with killing animals. They're not very smart, in my opinion

Red Bomb

Nov 25, 2009
Personally I support a lot of animal rights. I am veggie, I work as a horse sports massage therapist (so always around animals), I try not to use products that test on animals, I think animals get a really raw deal in general for testing stuff. It's absolutely disgusting. Use guys on death row instead - they pretty much voided their "human rights" anyway.
Saying that, I do not support PETA or any other narrow-minded, extremist "animal rights" company or group.

I believe animals should have more rights than they do, but we will have to be careful on how to go about it. Animals are my life so of course I am going to be passionate about the subject. Doesn't mean I will do stupid things like hate meat eaters or pour red paint over people wearing leather/fur.

CM156 said:
They're a bunch of idiots, in my opinion.
That's a beautifully mature way of wording your opinion!

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Being cruel to animals is not cool.

Cruelty in this case means antagonising an animal without a productive end goal.

So... if you want to shoot birds with a slingshot, that's a dick move. If you want to shoot a pig for meat, that's fine.

Also domesticated animals should be treated right. That means dogs should not be farmed to make coats and fuck you too Ms. Cruella.

That's about as far as my opinions go.

Tonz of Fun

Mar 29, 2011
I agree with Custard on this. Killing an animal for different reasons is good and bad like the example Custard gave. Plus,(and this is going to sound horrible) but we've been hunters since our early years, you can't blame us. Plus I like bacon, beef jerky and buffalo wings. Biases away!

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
Recently on Conan O'Brien he addressed the lawsuit PETA is making for whales working at Sea Worlds and other similar places. They claim is similar to slavery and falls under the 13th Amendment, so Conan has one of his writers gives a racial perspective. I share his thoughts.

[link]http://teamcoco.com/video/deon-cole-peta[/link]

PETA are a bunch of assholes, who never have anything useful to say. Sure, animals shouldn't be mistreated, I am for that, but they should damn well be eaten.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I think animal rights are taken care of well enough in the civilised world by now.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I support animal rights - even though I'm not a vegetarian; meat is just so darned tasty! (I can't bring myself to eat veal, though.) Beside, there's no rule saying you have to be a vegetarian to support animal rights, is there?

But I don't care much for PETA, either, as I believe in limits and not going overboard with your goals. (Yet I also think that people who run dog fighting rings should die. Painfully. ...Look, I have anger issues, okay?!)

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
As it happens I'm a part of PETA. Yep, I'm a proud member of People for the Execution of Treacherous Animals >:). Joking aside, I put human rights as quite a higher priority, let's work on attaining equality in our own society before dedicating too much time to the critters. I don't understand vegetarianism, it's natural for animals to feed off one another and really I don't understand people who have qualms about those eating meat, I mean it's already dead and cooked, what else do you expect me to do with it? That said, I am quite averse to things like hunting; slaughtering animals simply for your own leisure just seems outright psychotic.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
"If a group of beings from another planet were to land on Earth - beings who considered themselves as superior to you as you feel yourself to be to other animals - would you concede them the rights over you that you assume over other animals?" - George Bernard Shaw
"People must have renounced, it seems to me, all natural intelligence to dare to advance that animals are but animated machines...It appears to me, besides, that [such people] can never have observed with attention the character of animals, not to have distinguished among them the different voices of need, of suffering, of joy, of pain, of love, of anger, and of all their affections. It would be very strange that they should express so well what they could not feel." - Voltaire
"If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit." - Robert Brault
"Life is life - whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage." - Sri Aurobindo
"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralph Inge
What's my view on animal rights? I support compassionate hunting and farming for food...although I despise what both have come to. All forms of life consume life to sustain life. It's an unfortunate reality of existence.

As for cruelty to animals...causing them pain or distress for sport, abusing them for our advantage, the unconscionable conditions of many farms and slaughterhouses, animal testing and torture, etc, etc, etc...it is simple, banal evil. Whether through thoughtlessness, ignorance or active malice. It's one of the stains on the current state of civilization and the human condition. Almost all of us, collectively and individually, should feel ashamed of what we've allowed to take place.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Nimcha said:
I think animal rights are taken care of well enough in the civilised world by now.
A two week old human foetus has more rights than an adult chimpanzee... Think about that for a while...

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
While I am strongly opposed to animal cruelty i.e beating/starving an animal for instance I do not oppose killing animals for food (unless they torture the animal first of course). Also most animal rights groups are completely nuts and have no perspective whatsoever and some of their members are as bad as those few who are generally cruel and malicious towards animals.

Oh and I will not go out of my way to avoid stressing an animal anymore than I would a human I remember a friend had a right go at me because I moved a cat off the chair so I could sit down apparently causing it a `huge` amount of stress, needless to say I enlightened him on what I thought of his views on animal cruelty (note he was doing a course on animal welfare at the time I think he was brainwashed).

Animals dont have any rights other than what we give them but there is no reason to be cruel or generally unkind to them nor to treat them with a huge amount of empathy and understanding same with people.

hotsauceman

Jun 23, 2011
I think this
1:pets arent like property that you can abuse.
2: I SUpport testing for medicine but not cosmetice
3: Eat little meat, You dont have to scarf down meat all the time, Veggie burgers can be good too.
4:(Kinda religious here) God made all creatures and loves them, We have no right to think we are superior to them.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I believe animals with the sufficiant cognitive ability to comprehend and minimize suffering have a duty to not let other animals suffer unnecessarily, and I also believe animals have the right to kill other animals if the cause for doing so is justified (e.g. food).

THAC0

Aug 12, 2009
I am a big supporter of "Animal Rights" but i don't think of it in those terms. i think it is wrong to hurt stuff. the end.

If i were starving i would kill an animal and eat it. I would kill an animal to stop it from killing me or someone else. But if i had the option to not kill the animal...such as going to the store and buying non animal based foods, i would do that instead. Its that simple.

I do not condone research on animals, even for medicine, because i don't think you can justify hurting something, just by saying that it will help something else in the long run. i think that is a stupid and selfish argument.

I do not like PETA at all because i think they have turned a serious issue into a cartoon. they may fools of themselves and they provide a way for anyone else to not listen to pro animal rights arguments because "you sound like one of those PETA nuts."