What's Your View on Animal Rights?

Nexoram

Aug 6, 2010
Really, if experiments are needed to further man's understanding of biology etc. than animals should be tested on. If it's just plain animal abuse, then that is unacceptable. Also, Animal Rights is a pretty awesome song.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Raven said:
Nimcha said:
Raven said:
Nimcha said:
I think animal rights are taken care of well enough in the civilised world by now.
A two week old human foetus has more rights than an adult chimpanzee... Think about that for a while...
That's what I meant by "well enough".
So a being that can think, learn, feel emotion, express individuality and possibly comprehend basic language should have less rights than a group of cells with about as much cognitive ability as a pebble?
Not really, but that's more an issue with human rights and not animal ones.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Nimcha said:
Raven said:
Nimcha said:
Raven said:
Nimcha said:
I think animal rights are taken care of well enough in the civilised world by now.
A two week old human foetus has more rights than an adult chimpanzee... Think about that for a while...
That's what I meant by "well enough".
So a being that can think, learn, feel emotion, express individuality and possibly comprehend basic language should have less rights than a group of cells with about as much cognitive ability as a pebble?
Not really, but that's more an issue with human rights and not animal ones.
I think its a useful way of pointing out the sheer difference between the two. Its not that I think animals should have human rights. Its that when you compare the basic right to life, we've decided the thing that doesn't even know what life is has more right to it than the thing that does...

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
I don't get why people are fine with eating what we perceive as farm animals specifically bred for slaughter (pigs, cows, chickens) but if people breed dogs for slaughter as opposed to pets (as it is in many parts of Asia) it's evil. It's a narrow way to see things, given that pigs are more intelligent than dogs and we have no problem killing them for meat, just because it's what we're used to.. and because they aren't cute, basically.

Another thing I don't get is why people get upset over killing whales. Fair enough they shouldn't be hunted if they're an endangered species, but if they aren't endangered then it makes economical sense to get meat from them provided it's viable. A whale would have been free its whole life instead of living a shitty life in cramped conditions, and would provide enough meat for many people so why should we oppose the people of the Faroe Islands killing whales for meat, which is practically their only meat source to begin with? People are disgusted by the images of the whales blood pouring into the ocean, but do they not realize MUCH more blood than this is bled at slaughterhouses?

I'm as much of a hypocrite as everyone else however, I eat meat and have never killed any animals myself, and if I saw dogs living in shitty cramped cages I'd feel more upset than if I saw chickens living in much worse squalor. I would say i'm greatly opposed to animal cruelty, but at the end of the day claiming it's not cruel to them to be raised in dark warehouses to have their throats slit isn't really possible without lying to yourself. There's a lot more fucked up things going on than people realize, like how male chicks are liquidised or gassed immediately after hatching since they can't be used as battery hens.

The people running and working for the meat industry don't give a shit and often take pleasure in animal cruelty (I could link to many recent news stories here) and we all support the screwed up stuff, which we're kept in the dark about for obvious reasons. Most of those organizations like PETA do more harm than good for their causes, PETA in particular has carried out a lot of messed up activities, and don't they kill virtually every dog they 'rescue' anyway?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Its the thing that makes me the most emotional. Ive never hated people more then those that exploit animals. Its just so low, I just cant stop shaking I get so mad. Im not vegatarian, animals eat meat but dog fighting, mis-treatment of livestock, the fur industry... I dont know what id do to someone involved in such things but peaceful debate is not it.

At the same time though I understand other parts of the world are not like us. A South American man kills a Jaguar not because he really wants to but because its worth money or the safty of his farm. Its just the general un-caring side of it. How people can just see an animal suffering and go "meh"...

As a side note if a bear charged at me and I had a gun, that bears getting shot. I have the right to defend myself just like they have the right of us not stringing them up and flaying their skin off.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
Jarimir said:
To me any non-endangered animal is fair game. I just have personal preferences over which animal(s) I would eat and which I wouldnt. I would totally eat a dog. I hear they are delicious. I love cats so it would be harder for me, but I would do it without hesitation to survive.
Yeah, i'd say many here would condemn that as evil since they wouldn't want to separate dogs and cats into 'domestic pets' and 'meat'. I suppose the inverse is how people here don't care in the slightest how offensive it is to Hindus to eat cows, since it's a different culture that they aren't part of. If you told people in the UK you had ate and enjoyed dog meat you could easily end up with death threats, sent by some guy who loves burgers and fried chicken.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Don Savik said:
All of those quotes are pretty naive and stupid. Humans are primates yes, but our intelligence puts us apart greatly from other animals. To say that there's no difference between a cat and a man is pretty poetic, but hilariously stupid. Enslaved the rest of animal creation? *facepalm* Human civilization cannot expand with animals roaming wherever the fuck they want. Maybe lesser companies/countries kill animals inhumanely, but we have laws. We do what we have to. Animal testing? Would you rather it be on humans? or not at all? and what the hell is compassionate hunting?
Yep George Bernard Shaw and fucking Voltaire are "naive and stupid", whilst you, Internet Forum Mushroom #1,909,231,511 are the voice of sensibility and reason. "Human civilization cannot expand with animals roaming wherever the fuck they want." Seriously. There are no words. There are literally no words.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
SICK0_ZER0 said:
Another thing I don't get is why people get upset over killing whales. Fair enough they shouldn't be hunted if they're an endangered species, but if they aren't endangered then it makes economical sense to get meat from them provided it's viable. A whale would have been free its whole life instead of living a shitty life in cramped conditions, and would provide enough meat for many people so why should we oppose the people of the Faroe Islands killing whales for meat, which is practically their only meat source to begin with? People are disgusted by the images of the whales blood pouring into the ocean, but do they not realize MUCH more blood than this is bled at slaughterhouses?
I don't know about other people's reasons, but for me it's not just for the typical reasons of cute/intelligent/etc. By no means an expert, but these are my views.

1. Large animals like that tend to breed too rarely to support the needs of Western society. If they breed, it's every 2 or 3 years or so and they're pregnant for about a year. Elephants are similar (though they take much longer). They live long, but don't breed frequently. And then you have variables of whales not surviving to maturity or not breeding at all. Compare that to a cow or sheep who could have had several births in 6 years.

2. Whales can be harmed by many things in the oceans, such as pollution or getting caught in leftover gear or as by-catch. From what I hear they don't care for the noise either.

3. Whaling is MUCH worse than anything happening in a (good) slaughterhouse, or even by a (good) hunter with a gun. It's hard to put down an animal with minimal stress or damage when it's so big that it has a tongue about the size of your car. It's not so much the amount of blood than it is the method of killing and duration of time. It's just not practical.

4. Whale numbers can be hard to track. There's just so much ocean. So even then it would be hard to monitor numbers of how much hunting is too much.

5. There's most likely a bunch of economic stuff getting in the way too, though not 100% sure.

EDIT: I don't know anything about the Faroe Islands people, so I'm not judging them. I'm just commenting on the idea of whaling to use as a common food source in the Western markets.

cdstephens

Apr 5, 2010
There's a difference between using animals for the benefit of the human race and acting cruelty towards animals where the ends justifies the means. It's the difference between killing an animal to feed your children and pitting to animals against one another for the sadistic joy in watching them kill and die.

I would also like to note that it seems strange to me that animal rights activists want us to care for puppies, for example, but don't give a rat's ass if we kill a fly. Personally, you have to go all in for all animals, otherwise I'll just view them as hypocrites; this is because their argument revolves around us not being able to judge animals as inferior to us as we think they are. Thus, from that logic we shouldn't judge animals as inferior to other animals as well, and should treat all animals equally; if one would extend that to life in general, then that means a tree's life should be just as important as an ant's life, because humans can't say one is inferior to the other.

As you can see, this gets rather sloppy.

Liam Barden

Jun 20, 2011
Humans ARE animals.

Slaughtering an adult human causes just as much suffering as slaughtering an adult cow. I have never managed to find an omnivore who can explain to me why we are justified in killing and eating farm animals, but not killing and eating humans (without resorting to some trite excuse like humans are just better, its the circle of life and meat is tasty).

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
if it's cruelty towards animals it's simply wrong. and hunting for game and not for food is also, in my eyes, not a good thing. but that's just my opinion. i don't view eating meat as bad, as animals also eat meat. testing beauty products on animals does seem wrong, as we can have humans do it, and they can tell you if something is wrong. if the beauty product seems too dangerous to test on humans first, you should probably make another damn product less dangerous. testing medicine on animals, while i don't think it's particularly fair or right to animals, is necessary to us, as we need our medicines to survive, and as we kill to have food, so must we kill to have medicine. same general concept.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Look, I'm all for cutting down on animal cruelty and mistreatment.

But nothing you say will convince me from enjoying this honey BBQ bacon chicken sandwich.

masterbazza

Mar 24, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4jZ_BV4MQ4&feature=feedlik
that pretty much sums up my opinion
but that doesn't mean we should be going around killing animal for fun
ONLY for food and self defense(bears)

AlexNora

Mar 7, 2011
this reply is to everyone that quoted me

Listen I do not need a biology professor to explain evolution to me I am not stupid.
I have scene and heard the "evidence" evolution has to offer. However no matter what angle I look at it I can not bring myself to think of it as nothing more then fantasy. Its a sad story that is fitting only as a fairy tale long ago and far away.