What's Your View on Animal Rights?

AlexNora

Mar 7, 2011
masterbazza said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4jZ_BV4MQ4&feature=feedlik
that pretty much sums up my opinion
but that doesn't mean we should be going around killing animal for fun
ONLY for food and self defense(bears)
XD this could be my video response (loved it)

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Avaholic03 said:
Bottom line for me is that humans come first. Don't fuck with my food sources or tell me to eat soy just because the animals aren't treated well. We're at the top of the food chain, so we'll do whatever we want.

Now, being abusive to your pet or doing stuff like dog fighting...well, then I support animal rights. There's no reason for that stuff. If you hate animals that much, you can always avoid them.
My sentiments on the matter right in the first reply. Now, while I don't eat meat, that's simply personal squeamishness and not due to me being against having 100% real cow in that there burger, though I might object if it was something strange like turkey. After all, I am a Texan, and I've been brought up in the kind of environment where you just don't do some things to your food.

But, back onto the subject at hand, I do support animal rights, insofar as being against animal cruelty and profound mistreatment. I will accept that some things need to be tested on animals to save human skins, but even that should have certain limits. However, there is one thing that I am against most of all: Dressing up your pets.

Please, please, please, do not dress your pets up in an outfit that matches yours, or in some stupid lizard suit. I don't care how adorable you think it looks on them, because I am a firm believer in that every time you do that, they die a little bit inside. Now, if its something plain that keeps them warm in a cold climate, should they need it and be a breed that's ill-suited to where you are, that's a-okay. Same goes for identifying dog-vests, such as for seeing-eye dogs, police hounds and rescue dogs. But, please, for the love of god, don't go overboard.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
until they have the brain needed to vote and form sentences, they have no other right than to try and run from my hunting bullets and fired up grill....and even if they can speak i wont promise that they wont end up the fryer.

Netgearer22

Feb 3, 2011
Meph, I'm in that mid point. Yeah don't eat certain animals, animals bred for food eat them, but at the same time, abusing animals in any way is fucked up. I don't want my meat getting the shit beaten out of it because it doesn't listen to a command. You wouldn't do that with a pet, don't do that with any kind of animal. That being said I also think that the whole we are the top of the food chain thing so we can do whatever the fuck we want thing is pretty fucked up. Yeah we are high up there, but if the animals or certain species decide to work together, we would be fucked and before I get marked off as crazy, animals aren't stupid, they can communicate with each other, so yeah. Be nice to animals.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Were at the top of the food chain, so we come first, that being said i just tend not to think that the meat i eat came from a cruelly treated animal

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
orangeban said:
I don't actually see farming as animal cruelty. My view is that as long as the animal's life on the farm nice (think free range chicken, not battery farms) then there's no issue with eating the animal, since they don't really care about dying and even less about being eaten. Same goes for clothes like leather, as long as the animal has a nice life, what does it matter?

If the whole world went veggie, what would happen to the farm animals? They'd die, farmers wouldn't keep them and they can't survive in the wild. Give them a nice life then eat them, it's for the best.

However, because of this I do not support hunting. Those wild animals can life without humans, and generally they need to survive, either to have children, or look after their children. So hunting wild animals for food and clothing isn't cool, and doing it for fun is barbaric I say. If you can't get your giggles without murdering animals, then there is something wrong with you.

Animal testing is more tricky. Very grey, I understand the arguments of both sides on it, but I figure the best solution is to experiment for medical purposes (or other things that are designed to save lives) and not for things like cosmetics.

And obviouslly abusing pets is horrific.
This guy.

Thisssssssss guy.

What he said.

spartxn

Oct 22, 2011
As long as it involves the animals killing and eating the PETA guys I'm good.

Thumbs up, oh wait. Uhm. Quote and reply for every time a PETA member was successful in putting a life jacket on a Polar Bear.

I better not get any quotes, or else.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
AlexNora said:
this reply is to everyone that quoted me

Listen I do not need a biology professor to explain evolution to me I am not stupid.
I have scene and heard the "evidence" evolution has to offer. However no matter what angle I look at it I can not bring myself to think of it as nothing more then fantasy. Its a sad story that is fitting only as a fairy tale long ago and far away.
You have a better explaination for the biodiversity of life then? I?d love to hear it and have you show me the evidence.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
'If reason and morality are what set humans apart from animals, then reason and morality must always guide us in how we treat them.'

David Scully.

This quote pretty much sums up my opinion.

bkrockwell

Aug 4, 2009
Hafrael said:
bkrockwell said:
Hafrael said:
Do you have an issue with these?
Not sure what you mean by "have an issue" - I'm certainly not offended or insulted by them.
You seem to be implying that not one of these is a real argument.
You're right there; I don't believe any of them are logically defensible arguments. It isn't meant to be a list of laughable arguments though, some aren't even meant to be arguments at all. It's just a list of incredibly common, almost clichéd responses.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
HardkorSB said:
Animals should have the right to vote and the right to a fair trial.
Why stop there? We must grant animals the right to keep and bear arms!

OT: Animals are tasty, and humans are kinda meant to have meat in our diets, but we shouldn't be cruel to them.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Raven said:
AlexNora said:
this reply is to everyone that quoted me

Listen I do not need a biology professor to explain evolution to me I am not stupid.
I have scene and heard the "evidence" evolution has to offer. However no matter what angle I look at it I can not bring myself to think of it as nothing more then fantasy. Its a sad story that is fitting only as a fairy tale long ago and far away.
You have a better explaination for the biodiversity of life then? I?d love to hear it and have you show me the evidence.
She/He's a Creationist, mate. I've had the debate with her/him before, it always comes down to "God proofed everything into existence as it is now" somehow is less "fairy tale" than "life evolved over time". Most of it, however, is an argument from ignorance and/or an argument from personal incredulity, as is the usual case.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I'm a "meh" for this sort of thing. We're the dominant species, we do what we want. That said, needless cruelty shouldn't happen.

Jedoro said:
HardkorSB said:
Animals should have the right to vote and the right to a fair trial.
Why stop there? We must grant animals the right to keep and bear arms!
But bears already have arms.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Animals have no rights. Well, the dumb ones don't. Dolphins, some monkeys, and crows are really the only animals I'd ever consider intelligent enough to care about on a personal level. Of course, dolphins murder for fun, monkeys are dirty, and crows are assholes, so that care only goes so far. :p

Now, I'm not going to go out of my way to hurt an animal for no reason, but if it serves a purpose I have no qualms about killing animals or making them perform for our entertainment. Besides, performer animals get paid in food, room and board, and care-taking. PETA's claims that the orcas in Sea World are our entertainment slaves is malarkey.