What's Your View on Animal Rights?

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Animal rights is a completely illogical concept. It tries to invest a creature that's incapable of holding responsibility into a deontological system. There are instances where we grant individuals rights regardless of their ability to claim the according responsibilities, but these instances are always vestigial i.e. an individual will be granted rights, but someone else needs to take their responsibilities, for instance:

1) Children are incapable of taking according responsibilities, so their guardians are held responsible for their actions - if your child murders someone, then you go to prison (in the UK anyway)
2) Mentally diminished people are incapable of holding certain responsibilities, so their carers take responsibility - if your ward steals something, then you are held accountable

To grant animals rights in a deontological system, we would have to have them take responsibility, or to have their carers take responsibility, for their actions. It also gets even more insane when two animals violate one another's rights. If one dog kills another dog (as they are wont to do), then the owner has to pay for the other dog, but, if animals are accorded equal rights to humans, then the owner would have to go to jail for murder because their dog killed another dog. You can already see how batshit this is... But animal rights activists have never been strong on the whole "logical arguments" thing.

Basically, the only way to justify animal rights is to utterly ignore philosophy and logic, and to just say "I like animals cuz they're all fluffy n stuff". The only workable system is to partially extend the rights of an animal's owner to the animal and have the owner take partial responsibility for the animal - but PETA is against animal ownership, and against distinctions between human and non-human animals.

Why am I even posting this flame bait? I know I'll just get some retarded reply from someone who barely understands logic, but knows that they're so unfulfilled that they really wish their dog were a little human, with human feelings and wants (rather than a being with little to no human emotion, who's been selectively bred to mimic human emotion - as Frans de Waal proved).

bkrockwell

Aug 4, 2009
Eggsnham said:
Also: "because i don't think you can justify hurting something, just by saying that it will help something else in the long run."

Does this mean that you would be okay causing humans intentional suffering, but no other species of animal?
Not that you were addressing me, but just to jump into the conversation:

I'm not sure what you mean by "causing humans intentional suffering".

If you mean testing on humans rather than animals, I could only support human testing if the humans are volunteers (a choice that non-human animals are unfortunately never going to have). If people are willing to volunteer themselves for science in the hope that it leads to scientific breakthroughs, I have no moral disagreement with that. They

If you mean that removing animals from scientific testing is "causing humans intentional suffering", then I just disagree. Removing animals from scientific testing at this stage wouldn't cause human suffering, it would just mean they're no longer contributing to a cure (sticking with the cancer situation).

phylline

Oct 23, 2011
All for animal welfare, not so much for animal rights. Humans come before animals IMO so I don't think they should have 'rights' as such, but nor do I think that allows us to treat them in the inhumane ways which we currently do. (And for crying out loud, just because something says 'cage free' or 'free range' doesn't mean the animal had a nice life!!)

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I think groups like PETA do far more harm then good. Groups like the RSPCA are respected and have a much saner agenda, in that they want people to treat animals well, they don't want to turn us all into tofu eating vegans.

Personally I think mistreating animals is harmful to the human soul, because we are capable of being more then our base instincts we should treat them as best we can, within reason. There is no valid reason to be cruel to an animal, and people who are disgust me.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
We give the animals we keep the right not to suffer like they did in nature, and in return for this we get their meat before the insects.

Seems fine to me.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Im all for animal rights, in fact my life goal is to become a vet. However im still going to eat meat simply because as animals ourselves we do need to eat meat (Proteins and all that). I don't however support unnecessary cruelty though, animals deserve similar respect to a human.
You wouldnt throw rocks at a child for fun, so you shouldnt throw rocks at animals for fun

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
Animals have the right to remain tasty.

But seriously, I think it's good not to abuse animals, but at the same time I don't think non-sentient lifeforms really have "rights". Legal protections decided by societal norms, sure, but not rights. Rights are inherent, not things granted by a government.

Aug 20, 2011
I think animal testing should allowed on a case-by-case basis, depending on the intelligence of the animal, the risks involved, and the possible gains. Testing on primates is pretty upsetting to me, at the same time I can accept that if it leads to, for example, a breakthrough in cancer treatment, it's worth it.

Animals raised for consumption should be treated fairly, not stuck in a dark box for their entire life.