What's your worst loss of game progress?

Cronky

May 24, 2010
Guild Wars has always been my guilty pleasure in the MMO scene. I never felt the need to pay for a subscription for a game like it, as I usually play random games for random intervals.

Anyway...

On Guild Wars, for those who don't know, they have Titles. They are pretty much just in game achievements for you to show off to the in game world. I was always infatuated by the title "Legendary Survivor", which you must gain 1.337 million exp without dying at all. It is one of two titles you can "miss", meaning you can't go for it at just any old time. I wanted it on one character for each class in the game, 10 classes in total.

In all reality it's not TOO hard to get, just a bit of time dedicated to tedious farming, or careful planning. Having the title didn't give you to any special items or powers, but dying required you to delete your character and remake it if you wanted the title bad enough. Going through the beginning of the campaigns, getting all your armor, skills, and weapons, etc.

A huge time waste some may say, but I play games how I want to.

...I had to stop playing the game for a while when one of my characters died at 1.2 million exp... for the 2nd time.

Now a days you can just reset your exp to try again without deleting your character and starting all the way over. ...Wish I would have known that update was coming before I did (and subsequently re-did) 8 characters.

Sam Warrior

Feb 13, 2010
Worst loss for me has got to be when my brother deleted my pokemon blue game save, I had 148 pokemon, nearly killed him. This was about 10 years ago though so he's been pretty much forgiven.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
I accidentally wiped a 75 hour Fallout New Vegas when cleaning up files on my xbox, I was so upset i had to rage quit the game, by that i mean i cussed the air blue and then proceeded to trade it in.
Only to get the Fallout 'itch' a few days later...so i had to go get it again *face palm*

Da_MoA

Mar 29, 2009
I was playing a 21 hour save in Knights of the Old Republic and I was saving when we had a power cut which corrupted the data. I hadn't saved in any other slots. :(

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
finally got the the final year in Harvest Moon (gamecube) saved, went to bed, played the next day.... No Saved Game Data On Memory Card... have never played it again:(

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Well, I had played Pokemon for about 4-5 hours... And just turned off the system....

without saving....

There goes about 20-odd levels I had trained... So much rage happened that day...

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
My Windows suddenly decided to go from working perfectly fine --> corrupted in one night. I have no idea why. I have anti virus and anti spyware and everything. (I have a suspicion it was to do with the massive lightning storms we have here although I do have a surge protector.)

After I repaired it I had lost all my save game data :< fallout vegas, mass effect etc. I was gutted.
Replaying through Fallout V atm but I'll probs leave Mass Effect until before 3 comes out now ;_;

Blizzarded Soul

Jan 27, 2010
Playing Mass Effect on Insanity. Im on a roll, got some good armour and weapons thus haven't bothered to save for quite a few hours. I get one-shotted by a Geth Armature and loose nearly 5 hours worth of gameplay.
The most rage inducing was when I was saving before fighting the last boss in Okami and the power cut out. Cue corrupted data and intense amounts of rage over the next couple of days.

Pvt Dylan

May 27, 2011
Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Bioshock 1. I would completely devote a day to play.
About 16 hours... yes that's sad, and of course the power goes out, someone kicks the strangely loose power cable, or bugs.. bugsy buggy bugs.

I've probably lost about a month of game progress throughout my life.. Sad thing is I'm only a month old.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
75 hours of Monster Hunter Freedom 2.

Set my PSP down gently while it was auto saving and... [HEADING=2]BAMF![/HEADING] ...save corrupted. Screwed up all the Monster Hunter data on that memory stick. I never really got back into it after that incident.

adam5396

Feb 12, 2010
Can I count the time I lost absolutely everything on my PC? Which was, of course. My main gaming platform with the majority of games unfinished....Well, except for Mass Effect 1 & 2. Both finished, exactly how I would've liked them finished, as many side things done as possible. ALL THE DAMN CHARACTERS ALIVE AND READY FOR 3! And then plonk, hard drive dies. Have to play through, again, all those hours. *Twitch*

EZola19

May 27, 2011
This is relatively old school :p
I was already at 149 of the 150 Pokemon of Pokemon Blue (not including Mew). All I needed was a Jolteon that I was trying to get on my Pokemon Yellow.
Then I let my cousin play, but what he did was start a new game instead of play my game.
My game was overwritten and my dreams of being a Pokemon master was shattered.
I never touched a Pokemon game since, for better or for worse :p

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Alundra on the Playstation 1...

Got to the very last boss after about 40 hours game time, then my son deleted my save game.

Then, I started again...

Got to the very last boss after slightly less hours game time, then my son deleted my save game.

Nobody can take that, I never played Alundra again, even though it's awesome. I just looked up the ending on YouTube and pretend that I completed it. I have lost a good Borderlands character, so I know how TheShogun feels - it takes a lot to go back and do it all again.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
Mine's pretty bad, so bad that whenever I look at my PS3 an imaginary tear falls down my cheek. I had all four characters in Borderlands at level 61, as well as all the orange rarity guns in either their strongest or nearly their strongest forms. I also had all the best class mods, as well as nearly all of the pearlescent weapons. I put literately around 400 hours into that game, I can't express how much I freaking love Borderlands. All of that.....gone due to my PS3 crapping out on me and I had to do a system restore. But that's not the end. I also had my Metal Gear Solid 4 data, in which I earned all of the titles and unlocked everything. I also had a Disgaea 3 file that I put hundreds of hours into. Gone.......ALL GONE!!!!! =( I naturally backed everything up on a flash drive, but my sister ended up deleting those on accident. Oh the rage I had that day -_-

Xixikal

Apr 6, 2011
Pokemon Blue on Gameboy Color. Previous owner of the cartridge (damn him to video game hell) decided to capture Missingo... which resulted in the inability to save the game... I never got passed Cerulean City :(

FunGuy155

Apr 29, 2011
My minecraft save file......Lost over 5 months of work......god that sucked. And since I was playing without a seed, I will never be able to recreate that save file.