Wheelman: Now Even More Like GTA 4

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wheelman: Now Even More Like GTA 4

Creative Director Simon Woodroffe says the upcoming Wheelman has been changed to be more like Grand Theft Auto IV [http://www.rockstargames.com/iv] because people seem to really like that game.

Woodroffe said Wheelman was "quite different," but when Grand Theft Auto IV was released it changed people's expectations about open-world driving games. "Before GTA IV, open-world driving games generally had more accessible, more arcade-like, handling," he told VideoGamer.com [http://www.videogamer.com/news/01-12-2008-10070.html]. "Even the previous GTAs were like that. But GTA IV moved the bar towards realism - even super-realism, you know?"

Despite his misgivings, feedback from focus groups eventually led Woodroofe to implement changes in the game in response to the popularity of Grand Theft Auto. "At first I found it fairly frustrating, in comparison with Wheelman, but it was different enough to make us say, 'Look, people obviously want a more realistic experience. They don't want to be given things for free,'" he said. "They want to feel like the ultimate driving hero, but they don't want to feel like they're being given it for nothing - otherwise there's no sense of accomplishment."

"We started to get feedback from our focus testers, within weeks of GTA IV coming out, that the basic driving was dropping in popularity," he continued. "It had gone from being the most highly rated element, to one of the lowest on the list. And I'm looking at this and thinking, 'There's only one reason for this. GTA IV has changed gamers' expectations.'"

Since the GTA-inspired modifications were made, Woodroffe claimed, the response from testers is "right on the money in terms of what people expect from an open-world racer". You have to keep your customers happy, I suppose, but it seems to me that the moment you start making changes to your game to make it more like someone else's is the moment you admit that your game just wasn't all that hot in the first place. On the other hand, the central character in Wheelman is a close-cropped European driving expert named Milo Burik, so maybe my concern about the integrity of the original vision is unwarranted, albeit for all the wrong reasons.

In any event, Wheelman comes out in February 2009 for the Wheelmangame.com [http://www.xbox.com].

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
:'( I personally hated (HATED!!!) GTAIV's 'realistic' driving. Whacky racing & realistic car physics to not make comfortable bed fellows.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
:'( I personally hated (HATED!!!) GTAIV's 'realistic' driving. Whacky racing & realistic car physics to not make comfortable bed fellows.
Yeah, 'realistic driving' can get quite annoying sometimes. I still prefer the way you drive in Mario Kart.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
As long as they fix the stupid auto-camera for driving, I've got nothing to complain about, really.

Good for them to admit that they're blatantly ripping off GTA rather then being called out on it later.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Now if the focus group could only suggest replacing Vin Diesel with a more 'realistic' actor...then we may be on to something.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Alone Disciple said:
Now if the focus group could only suggest replacing Vin Diesel with a more 'realistic' actor...then we may be on to something.
How about ryan renolds?

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
coxafloppin said:
Alone Disciple said:
How about ryan renolds?
HA no

GTA IVs dog-shit bullet for me was no plane options