When Dead Rising Wasn't "Dead Rising"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
When Dead Rising Wasn't "Dead Rising"

With Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop just around the corner, the hosts on the Bionic Commando podcast [http://bioniccommando.com/us/podcasts/] treated listeners to a bit of Capcom insider trivia - a massive list of all the potential titles Dead Rising had before it was... well, Dead Rising.

The list of rejected titles for Dead Rising is truly enormous, and shines a little light on the difficult parts of game development that people don't usually think about - like picking a name. Now, most of these potential titles are bad. Like, really bad. But before we start pointing fingers and snickering, let's remember that these were put together by people who don't speak English natively, and that I'm sure most of you would have a devil of a time coming up with a good title for a game in, say, Swahili.

Some of the particularly not-so-Good, Bad, and/or Ugly standouts:

[blockquote]
*Paparazzi of the Dead
*Gluttonous The Zombies
*Dangerous Shopping
*Escape From Shopping Mall
*The Besieged In A Mole [sp.]
*Super Zombie Time
*Dead Bee
*Did You See? I Saw
*More Beef Life
*Def Dead Time
*Dead Easter[/blockquote]

I would totally play "More Beef Life," even if I have no idea what the hell it means.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5136764/rejected-dead-rising-titles-and-why-no-photography-in-dead-rising-wii])

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
I could totally see myself playing Dead Easter, I could think of soooo many things offensive to my fellow Christians in a game like that. I brings a whole new meaning to the Resurrection.

Walrus42

Apr 18, 2008
The Besieged In A Mole
Wow.. somebody's getting attacked... in a mole?
I wonder how they got in there.

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
Paparazzi of the Dead would sound better as something like "Necrophotography" or something.
"Deals to Die For"
"Mall Rats"
"Mall of the Undead!"

I gotta million of 'em!

Jav3lin

Jan 18, 2009
more beef life??? what the? that doesnt sound like a slow-walking-zombie-mall-take-over like Dead Rising is... sounds like a cook-off :D:D

Jav3lin

Jan 18, 2009
"Deals to Die For" now thats a cool name! games need names like those these days...

or maybe:
Mall of death
Mall of the dead
Dead Mall? <haha lol
or the famous..."slowly-walking-zombie-mall-take-over :D :D :D

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Meatstorm said:
im just glad they chose dead rising instead of more beef life
I don't know, that sounds like it would have sold more copies if only for the wtf factor.

Meatstorm

Jan 4, 2009
xitel said:
Meatstorm said:
I don't know, that sounds like it would have sold more copies if only for the wtf factor.
if it came for wii with name More beef life id propably think its some sort of cooking game or something. on any other console though it would just be awkward

Graham

Dec 5, 2008
matrix3509 said:
I could totally see myself playing Dead Easter, I could think of soooo many things offensive to my fellow Christians in a game like that. I brings a whole new meaning to the Resurrection.
Oh snap.

I'm wondering what subtleties got lost in translation on that one, 'cause I'm sure that means something very different in Japanese.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Bored Tomatoe said:
Super zombie time!
That made me picture Brendan Small saying "Super Zombie Time!" in his bad-acting squeaky broken child voice (like from some of the first season episodes) and I just cracked up laughing.

I would totally have played that game. More Beef Life... Maybe a sequel to Harvest Moon? Possibly the gay bodybuilder edition? I dunno.

milomalo

Mar 29, 2008
xitel said:
Meatstorm said:
who knows... have u ever played... "WTF" its a psp game and its real