When Has a Game Made You Feel Absolutely Terrible? *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
ProfMcStevie said:
How does any game make you feel bad if it gave you no choice, I just disconnect and do what I gotta do. Evil out of choice with no pressure is when I feel bad, even then I have to be aware that my actions have real consequences in this game, else I feel tricked and manipulated.
Because a lot of players (Especially those that were lucky enough to miss the post-release hype about the scene) never realized they had 'No Choice'. As soon as the situation was presented to them, they went with the obvious solution they'd expect to use in any other modern shooter game. And then BAM!

In fact, Spec Ops: The Line is actually one of those games that genuinely is ruined by the spoilers, because otherwise it's designed to manipulate the player into punching themselves in the gut without even realizing it until it was too late. Going in aware of those manipulations, choices, and no-choice parts ruins the experience.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Scow2 said:
ProfMcStevie said:
How does any game make you feel bad if it gave you no choice, I just disconnect and do what I gotta do. Evil out of choice with no pressure is when I feel bad, even then I have to be aware that my actions have real consequences in this game, else I feel tricked and manipulated.
Because a lot of players (Especially those that were lucky enough to miss the post-release hype about the scene) never realized they had 'No Choice'. As soon as the situation was presented to them, they went with the obvious solution they'd expect to use in any other modern shooter game. And then BAM!

In fact, Spec Ops: The Line is actually one of those games that genuinely is ruined by the spoilers, because otherwise it's designed to manipulate the player into punching themselves in the gut without even realizing it until it was too late. Going in aware of those manipulations, choices, and no-choice parts ruins the experience.
Errr, all you have to do is not interact with the things like the white phosphorus to realise you have no choice, the enemies ahead are never ending so it really gives a massive hint that you can't do a damn thing but what we want you to feel bad for.

Brownie80

Jan 27, 2014
ProfMcStevie said:
Scow2 said:
ProfMcStevie said:

Errr, all you have to do is not interact with the things like the white phosphorus to realise you have no choice, the enemies ahead are never ending so it really gives a massive hint that you can't do a damn thing but what we want you to feel bad for.
Oh doubt you have even played the game. All you have to do is see the video I linked to and you would see there would be no way of knowing until it's to late. The situation you are describing is not even close to ANYTHING in Spec Ops. Stick to games you've played. Perhaps those that don't lead you on a leash.

Wan Shi Tong

Sep 2, 2014
In Pathologic you play as a doctor, who has wandered into a plague stricken town that is extremely surreal. The economy in the game is a nightmare, everything is too expensive, you need food to feed yourself, you need medicine to keep yourself alive, and you need to do the same for all the important members in the city as well as for all the random civilians as the disease slowly but inevitably spreads.

The first day bread and medicine is expensive, and it'll take you most of the day just to scavenge enough to survive. The second day the stores have stopped receiving supplies from outside of town and start to gauge you, maybe by the third day you're paying twice as much, and on that day you'll realize you literally can't make enough money to support yourself. So what do you do? At night there are all of these gangsters that chase you around and try to steal all your loot, well that third night, I thought, "Well I'll steal THEIR loot! Hah! This game can't outsmart me, I'll do anything to win." So every night I'd kill all of these gangsters, and made enough to save for a gun. With my gun robbing these criminals became even easier, and everything was going well until the army showed up. In their hazmat suits they used flamethrowers to kill anyone outwardly infected, and the increased army presence meant that even smugglers couldn't get into the city with supplies. Prices for medicine the next day had jumped by a minimum of 1000% and robbing gangsters wasn't enough anymore, even if I did make the money to buy medicine they were out of stock. I had heard rumors that a small gang of pre-adolescent orphan children had medicine, so I looked for them, when I found them the price they were asking for medicine was high, so high in fact that I had to sell my gun and all of my bullets just for a single unit. The next day, the price had doubled, all I had was a knife, but I was SO CLOSE, I just needed to make it a few more days, I just had to stay alive a bit longer and I would win! So when that child told me I could fuck off if I didn't have the money for the medicine I needed; I waited, and watched, and when that 10 year old boy was alone I slit his throat and took his medicine, and I had SO MUCH! Enough to win the game! It wasn't enough to stop the plague from destroying the town, but fuck the town! I didn't survive all these weeks of plague to NOT WIN THE GAME!

But the plague that infected the town wasn't natural, as they often aren't in these fantastical settings, it was caused by greed. Greed that would see a man slit another's throat for his own gain instead of supporting each other through hard times, greed that would blind a man to his own evil, maybe even to the evil of stalking a ten year old child so you could murder him and take his medicine. At the end of the game, I won, but in the process my character had lost his soul, he realized he was simply a puppet and in the end, had no humanity.

My character turned out not to be some kind of "chosen one" savior, just my puppet in this particular play, I had gone out of my way to screw people over so that I could survive, so that I could save the town! Well I wasn't so special was I? I was just making excuses as to why my own life was more useful than a child's, or than another man's, I realized this is what the "bad guys" do in survival tv shows and video games. When push came to shove, I was that bad guy, I was that guy that puts his own life above the lives of others.

Zeikcied

May 24, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
Weirdly, Brothers: A Tale of two sons got to me at various stages. I wasnt expecting much before playing, so each poetically entrancing scene was an emotional nail slowly being tapped into my heart. They were short yet painful. Though maybe there are certain themes that get to me more than others.
Nothing in Brothers really got to me until the part after the "final boss" (which I think was the only real battle in the game, if I'm not mistaken). Good lord, I haven't cried like that since Aeris died. I mean, a few games in between made me cry, sure, but it took me several minutes to stop. And I had to finish off the last few minutes of gameplay while crying, too. The fact that the game makes you do certain things instead of making it a cut-scene makes it worse. I won't spoil, because it's something you have to experience yourself. That ending is a real kick to the gut.

Def25

Feb 24, 2015
Spec ops made me feel horrible but not because i felt like a bad person, but because the game physically pissed me off, why couldnt you be a hollywood shooter damn it?

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
VoidOfOne said:
Diablo 3.

It made me hate playing a game. And hate it long after playing it and putting it down.

No game ever did that to me before. If I didn't feel like playing a game, I'd just leave it be and not give it another thought. But this game... This game... I'm still angry with myself. Especially after I got the expansion, being told that everything was better.

It was different, but not better.

It was a case of doing the same thing over and over, with little results being shown, and little effort being done, while deluding myself that I was having fun or achieving something. And hearing from the developers I always got the sense that they were always having more fun than the players, at the players' EXPENSE, in every sense of the word.

I'm going to play Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate now.
D3 had it's problems but Blizzard have really got their act together by the looks of it and the current stuff on the PTR is really really good. I doubt they will be able to recapture the magic of D2's story and atmosphere, but at least the loot is almost there.

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
Starbird said:
VoidOfOne said:
Diablo 3.

It made me hate playing a game. And hate it long after playing it and putting it down.

No game ever did that to me before. If I didn't feel like playing a game, I'd just leave it be and not give it another thought. But this game... This game... I'm still angry with myself. Especially after I got the expansion, being told that everything was better.

It was different, but not better.

It was a case of doing the same thing over and over, with little results being shown, and little effort being done, while deluding myself that I was having fun or achieving something. And hearing from the developers I always got the sense that they were always having more fun than the players, at the players' EXPENSE, in every sense of the word.

I'm going to play Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate now.
D3 had it's problems but Blizzard have really got their act together by the looks of it and the current stuff on the PTR is really really good. I doubt they will be able to recapture the magic of D2's story and atmosphere, but at least the loot is almost there.
I thank you for the reply. The thing is, I was told the same thing when RoS came about, and it still didn't keep my interest in the end. The game still made me mad. But again, thank you.

OT: The only other time any game made me feel terrible was in making a decision between the Empire and the Stormcloaks in Skyrim. I felt that no matter what, I was screwing over good people, and some well-meaning people. I first was going to join the Stormcloaks. But then Ulfric turned out to be a racist prick (I play Argonian), so... I didn't know who to choose.

Still don't.

HankyPanky

Jan 29, 2015
Gta v. It's a very very deep game if you pay attention. I was screwing around, picked up a prostitute and had to walk away from the screen for some reason. When I came back, I managed to catch a conversation she was having with someone. She had called her mother about, irc, college and how great it was going. She did this after she sold herself to some creep to pay off college loans. She made what I thought was a joke about it during the pick up dialogue as per usual Rockstar snark. Made me feel bad. Actively avoided running over hookers for about a month. There's a lot of moments like that in the game, can't really recall any specific one apart from another very sad one about Tracey making herself throw up thinking she'd be a better daughter that way.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Borderlands 2 where you have to shoot up a wake and then Set peoples houses on fire. I'm from Detroit and that hits kind of Close to home because on my Block somebody got Jump, The person who got jumped shot one her attacker 4 times in the Back while he was walking his kid. So they fired bombed her house. Also someone was was driving a car while they were committing a drive by on a wake. Someone in the crowd shot back at the car causing her to crash and kill herself and their was fear that they would shoot her wake up. Her wake was on my street. Those two incidents are unrelated and happened two years apart but it made me realize Detroit could almost be pandora. Handsome Jack could be Henry ford since Henry ford hired Dearborn(Suburb of Detroit) Police to shoot 23 people in a hugner strike. Although Henry Ford kind one ups handsome Jack because Henry Ford used free slave labor provided by the Nazi's

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Spec Ops: the Line for reasons that have already been pointed out a shiton of times.

Dark Souls because it turns out you've been a douche to pretty much everybody, just because the happened to be in your way. Ceaseless discharge? Poor bastard turned into a monster trying to protect his sister's body. Queelag? Trying to protect her sister. Gwyn? sacrificed himself for what he thought it was the greater good... Or not. Gwyndolyn? He wasn't even in the way. You heartless bastard. Sif was just protecting Artorias tomb and trying to prevent anybody else to fall to the same fate. And let's not even talk about poor Priscilla...

Also EVE Online, because one automatically turns into a sociopath if wants to thrive in there.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
The_Waspman said:
The one character I have NO sympathy for however is Knight Lautrec. Seriously, fuck that guy.
And yet, it turns out he might have been right about the necessity of killing the Keepers, so that the bonfires stop working and no more humanity is burned at them...
(I still kill him every time tho. What an asshole).

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
ProfMcStevie said:
JamesStone said:
ProfMcStevie said:
Honestly, that sounds really immature. Are you saying that you only feel bad about something if you were given the choice about doing it? That seems like a really fucked up way to see life.
SHOULD I feel bad about something I really had no choice to do? It MAY upset me or others but I'm not gonna go lamenting it, "what have I done" sorta thing. If there is no other way there is no other way, feeling bad about something that had no alternative just seems really pointless.
Hypothetical scenario: You're forced to kill someone in self-defense. Or maybe someone forces you to kill a stranger at the threat of death (either yours or someone you care about). Are you seriously telling me you wouldn't feel bad for doing it?

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
JamesStone said:
ProfMcStevie said:
JamesStone said:
ProfMcStevie said:
Honestly, that sounds really immature. Are you saying that you only feel bad about something if you were given the choice about doing it? That seems like a really fucked up way to see life.
SHOULD I feel bad about something I really had no choice to do? It MAY upset me or others but I'm not gonna go lamenting it, "what have I done" sorta thing. If there is no other way there is no other way, feeling bad about something that had no alternative just seems really pointless.
Hypothetical scenario: You're forced to kill someone in self-defence. Or maybe someone forces you to kill a stranger at the threat of death (either yours or someone you care about). Are you seriously telling me you wouldn't feel bad for doing it?
Self defence? Nothing, I was defending myself and when someone attempts another's life they forfeit their own in my mind. As for the under threat of death thing, I'd be shooken up about having to kill a stranger in cold blood, adrenaline pumping and everything but if it comes to down my life or his, with the suspicion we are both dead If I refuse, I'll do it and do it humanely. I just can't find it in me to feel bad for doing harm when it is not in my power to choose not to.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
ProfMcStevie said:
JamesStone said:
ProfMcStevie said:
JamesStone said:
ProfMcStevie said:
Hypothetical scenario: You're forced to kill someone in self-defence. Or maybe someone forces you to kill a stranger at the threat of death (either yours or someone you care about). Are you seriously telling me you wouldn't feel bad for doing it?
Self defence? Nothing, I was defending myself and when someone attempts another's life they forfeit their own in my mind. As for the under threat of death thing, I'd be shooken up about having to kill a stranger in cold blood, adrenaline pumping and everything but if it comes to down my life or his, with the suspicion we are both dead If I refuse, I'll do it and do it humanely. I just can't find it in me to feel bad for doing harm when it is not in my power to choose not to.
If so there's nothing more for me to say. Sorry, but I still feel that's a really immature way of seeing life and a very callous approach at morality and interacting with other human beings.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I was actually just talking about this with someone the other day...and it comes from a game you might not expect.

It was, in fact, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

I started thinking about how much it would absolutely suck to be a guardsman in Rome with Ezio the Mad on the loose. Now I know that "OH MAH GERD! DAH TEMPLARS ARE EVIL AND MUST BE STOPPED!!!!" Fair enough...but I highly doubt that every guard in the city is a card-carrying member of the Templars. Oh sure, their superiors might be, but the average guard is likely just a guy who signed up as a way to earn a living protecting the city he lives in. He doesn't know anything about a shadowy power-struggle or an vast ancient conspiracies...he's just some shmuck standing there with a spear or a sword.

So one day he's on post, shooting the breeze with his best buddy in the guard, when along comes this hooded psychopath with a war hammer who smacks him in the stomach with it to double him over before swinging it upwards with all his might to absolutely crush the poor guy's face in. The last thing he sees before it all goes dark is that hooded figure stabbing his buddy in the throat before running off just as randomly as he arrived.

Seriously, what kind of mass-murdering sociopath IS Ezio? He just absolutely ENDED those two guys! And what were they doing? Just standing on a corner, minding their own business.

And I, as the player, actually felt pretty lousy after having just done that...and it made me start to think that in reality Ezio is a terrible...TERRIBLE person.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
JamesStone said:
ProfMcStevie said:
JamesStone said:
ProfMcStevie said:
JamesStone said:
ProfMcStevie said:
If so there's nothing more for me to say. Sorry, but I still feel that's a really immature way of seeing life and a very callous approach at morality and interacting with other human beings.
Immature? Sir there is nothing particularly mature about feeling for the harm of people who as far as my control is observed are collateral, that is neither a positive or negative thing but rather a neutral one based on context. Callous? I do feel, however what I believe and through years of reinforcement feel about peoples suffering is based on me, feeling things for strangers that coulda have been saved is a loss of a potential life lived, if there is no choice....well fuck I can't be hanging onto every sally sob story on how there was nothing that could be done, my energy is for the living and savable.