When Has a Game Made You Feel Absolutely Terrible? *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
so im a bit of a completionist so I had to try ME3's siding with the salerians....they make you shoot morden 3 times.....3 FUCKING TIMES! I felt so bad after that I just reloaded the whole mission and went krogen.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Shadow of the Colossus makes me feel like a bastard. You go from feeling like a badass and then BAM, the death music happens as the creatures gracefully flop to the ground, dead. It's like the game builds on a high just to slap you and ask what the fuck you're doing with your life when you're done. Add to the fact that two colossi, some of the best fights in the game, are non-violent, and it can make you feel pretty shitty (well, a few colossi I feel no sympathy for. #14 is a notorious stun-locker, so he can go to hell).

The ending too. Like, all of it *sniffs*.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I never got very far into ICO and I really should get on with it and finish it but the way your guy leads whatshername (Y... something, i'm drawing a total blank here) around by the hand bothers me. He yanks on her arm so forcefully it looks like it should dislocate her shoulder... God I feel terrible. The handholding helps you bond with her though and it's needed for gameplay but he could be more gentle surely. She looks so breakable too which makes it worse.

It's made better when you help her up onto a ledge or grab her hand when she's jumping to you because that's manly as fuck though. Can you fuck up the catch and make her fall to her death if you let go of the button does anyone know? I hold my breath every time cuz it looks so risky.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Not gonna be original, Spec Ops: The Line, full fucking stop. THAT scene was a goddamn punch in the gut. By the end of it I just wanted for them to die - not out of anger, but to just put them out of their misery and save people by doing so.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
There's a quest in Dragon Age: Origins and I'm 90% sure it's impossible to skip. Basically, you have to get...a...guy on your side but the problem is he's nowhere to be seen and his wife is distraught because her son is possessed by a demon. The quest itself is to take care of the possession and you can do this one of two ways; you can either enter the Fade so as to kill the eldritch horror controlling the child's body or, you can just kill the kid. If you opt for the easier way out, you get to endure the mother begging you to spare her child and the game gives you multiple opportunities to say, "OK fine, I'll try the tedious way instead." I don't feel bad about pushing his mother aside and carving a smile into his throat while the sobbing woman screams for you to stop in between rasping breaths of cold, indifferent air. I feel bad about the fact that my main thoughts about going into the situation is, "dammit...I really don't want to do this...I just want to get through this section of the game and get this all over with." The scene tries so hard to make you FEEL something that all I end up feeling is a bit of shame that I'm just not able to give a shit about the kid despite the efforts of however many artists, writers, etc...

Spec-Ops the Line wins this thread in my opinion but mainly because I can't think of anything better...wasn't there some game where you think you've won, you celebrate, you're ambushed, you kill the enemies only to later find out that you were drugged and accidentally slaughtered a bunch of confused kids? I feel like that was a thing that happened in some game or other.

Oh wait, I've got one: Killing the first Colossus. It's just wandering around, minding its own business then along YOU come, plunging your little sword into its glowing weak points. The Colossi are oddly beautiful in a melancholic way and the only reason you kill them is because an unseen God figure tells you to and says in a vague sort of way that it'll resurrect your pet, dead, woman.

AuldMan

Feb 25, 2015
Coming back to the destroyed world after the first mission in Homeworld. Wow, that hit me hard. Playing the remaster brought back all the feels from 15 years ago.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
While this is a different feeling from what most of the rest of you are describing, I have, just once, felt very numbed by an experience, and that would be during Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. It is the first time that I played where, mid-way through the game, with very little warning,

you, the player, die during gameplay, but also, still, the only time I've seen during a story where a nuclear explosion is set off and you live, however momentarily, with the fallout.

The presentation was fantastic, and it's a damn shame that nothing I've played since has given me the same "What...the...fuck..."-kind of feeling.

Chris Moses

Nov 22, 2013
Playing through as Evil Cole in Infamous 2 made me feel downright dirty and just... wrong.

mrdeclandeadly

Feb 24, 2015
I robbed the old couple in This War of Mine, never felt so guilty in my life.

Or that part with the dude sitting on the ledge with his shotgun, ran up and cracked him in the back of the head with a hatchet; then his family or friend whoever it was, comes down crying and wailing. That was harsh.

The torture scene in GTA V was horrid, I really didn't want to do it, felt so bad for the guy.

I know I've done things in the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series that made me think I was a horrible person afterwards. I can usually disconnect from reality when I'm gaming though, so if I am playing through as an evil character it's not really on the same level as the Spec Ops thing you're talking about. That was just intense.

My captcha is think twice, I don't think I've ever seen a more relevant captcha.

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
Chris Moses said:
Playing through as Evil Cole in Infamous 2 made me feel downright dirty and just... wrong.
I was about to mention Infamous 2 too, but specifically, the evil ending where
you have to kill Zeke.
It's the most difficult moment of any videogame I've ever played, and I just felt wrong afterwards.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
NiER spoilers ahoy, this game is beyond amazing and if you haven't played it yet and plan to, don't read this!

There is a segment where you have to work your way through a junkyard where you meet two brothers, later on the one brother dies due to falling debris and a robot and little shade could be seen nearby the scene (shades= evil, that robot is a dick too), giving one a strong impression that they did it. You essentially get sent on a mission to avenge the dead brother and murder the crap out of both the robot and that stupid little shade. All in a good day's work.

Now in the second playthrough you see things from the robot and shade's perspective, turns out shades are the souls of original human beings and not all of them went all "gotta kill all" insane, this lil' shade was just hiding away with his mother only to have her end up getting killed. Alone and frightened, the lil' shade discovers a robot who has become slightly sentient and they essentially become best friends, with the shade teaching the robot human emotion and such, and the robot growing more curious as the days pass by, their big dream being to leave the place and explore the world together one day. Truly, they have become best friends. And oh, the death of the brother? All an accident, they were there trying to save him.

So what does the game do? You still end up fighting them, and this time you get to hear them beg for mercy and how much pain you are truly causing to them, also the robot desperately sacrifices itself to protect the kid and you go forth to brutally maul the kid in front of it before it finally fully shuts down.

So yeah, Spec Ops was child's play compared to the heavy stuff NiER throws at you, I felt corrupted to the soul after finishing the second playthrough and was in a supremely dark mood for a week after. Fun stuff!

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
The Wykydtron said:
It's made better when you help her up onto a ledge or grab her hand when she's jumping to you because that's manly as fuck though. Can you fuck up the catch and make her fall to her death if you let go of the button does anyone know? I hold my breath every time cuz it looks so risky.
Unfortunately, you can't miss the catch, as far as I know. Granted, even attempting to make her fall makes me feel awful, so I haven't tried many times, but I think the only input you have during the catch is how quickly you pull her up.
Also, I get what you're saying about pulling on her arm, but I was always able to rationalize it by assuming the characters never know if they're safe from the monsters or not. Like, they have to keep moving in order to stay free.

OT: Every time in Dark/Demons Souls when you've beaten all but the final boss and the time comes to slaughter all the NPCs. I did that once because somebody told me it was super worth it, but I felt so much like an asshole that I never had the heart to go through it again. Always kill Solaire, though. Fuck the sun.

Playing the bad ending of Infamous 2 makes me feel like a wretch as well. You have to kill your best friend, who is armed only with a revolver, with your incredible superpowers. I tried to not do it, but it's unavoidable. And tragic.

Sep 14, 2009
uh oh, I know there are a few people who openly seethed about how much they disliked spec ops, when they wake up in their side of the world I'm sure you'll get some lovely conflict in here OP.

OT: Heavy rain

when you lose sean in the mall and can't catch up to him no matter what, it basically made me feel like complete shit, being the oldest of all my siblings and cousins, I'm in charge of them all the time in public, so it just makes me feel like an awful person because that really could happen.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Brownie80 said:
So I was playing Spec Ops [small]and you already see where I'm going with this[/small] and it seemed like a normal third-person shooter until I came to this. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7TaLjdXMc]

So yeah. Isn't really a happy thing, isn't it.

Have you ever had a similar experience playing video games?
I'm in the same boat. Just finished it last night and it definitely holds the record for making me feel like crap. Especially when you eventually figure out everything that's going on - collectively it was worse than the White Phosphorous part.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
w23eer said:
Chris Moses said:
I was about to mention Infamous 2 too, but specifically, the evil ending where
you have to kill Zeke.
It's the most difficult moment of any videogame I've ever played, and I just felt wrong afterwards.
No kidding. I didn't even do it the first time I saw the scene, it was my cousin playing, and we both felt terrible during it. I think we heard the song playing during that scene loop about 5 times or so, because he couldn't bring himself to finish it. Eventually, it was done, but damn, just sitting there made me feel bad.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
This might get me laughed at, but I felt really dirty when I'd finished Haze. Oh, don't get me wrong, the game itself was stunningly mediocre at best, but after the final level in which you (spoilers for a game nobody cared about even when it was released)...

shooting up a bunch of people who were too busy huddling in corners in the fetal position or clutching their heads while mumbling about what they've done to shoot back

... I went to bed that night on the verge of puking.

SerithVC

Dec 23, 2011
Skyward Sword. The game the just deprived me of all sense of victory to the point where i have absolutely no desire to pick it up to finish the rest of the game. What essentially happened was the boss of the area was less of a threat that the goblin things with the electric swords (which were not really much of a threat anyways) and then i get teased with the idea that maybe the 'boss' fight was so easy because giraham showed up immediately afterwards saying how much he wanted to fight me and then he left. And then i was just fucking done with that game because A-it stole the sense of accomplishment from me B-it was ridiculously easy as it was C-Fi was more annoying than Navi D-The game kept telling me either things i already knew or that it had just fucking told me like 30 seconds before E-those fucking flight controls F-it was boring (this was the first time i actually felt bored playing through a zelda game)

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
debtcollector said:
The Wykydtron said:
Unfortunately, you can't miss the catch, as far as I know. Granted, even attempting to make her fall makes me feel awful, so I haven't tried many times, but I think the only input you have during the catch is how quickly you pull her up.
Also, I get what you're saying about pulling on her arm, but I was always able to rationalize it by assuming the characters never know if they're safe from the monsters or not. Like, they have to keep moving in order to stay free.

OT: Every time in Dark/Demons Souls when you've beaten all but the final boss and the time comes to slaughter all the NPCs. I did that once because somebody told me it was super worth it, but I felt so much like an asshole that I never had the heart to go through it again. Always kill Solaire, though. Fuck the sun.

Playing the bad ending of Infamous 2 makes me feel like a wretch as well. You have to kill your best friend, who is armed only with a revolver, with your incredible superpowers. I tried to not do it, but it's unavoidable. And tragic.

Oh hell, speaking of Dark Souls I feel terrible when people kill Priscilla just for her loot and 100% boss completion. I've never touched her myself I doubt I ever will. I hear she's a hard boss fight though. Good, I hope she kills you, you Lifehunt Scythe grinding dick.

She was the most emotional character for me, I know people swear by Sif being tragic especially with the Artorias DLC giving his boss fight another layer of tragedy but I just don't like anyone who kills Priscilla because "I need the Lifehunt Scythe for PVP lol"

She's totally optional, Sif while tragic, has the justification that you need to beat him to progress through the game. Priscilla is just chilling in her Painted World when some bellend walks in lost and confused, he makes it to the boss room and she lets him go free of charge out of the goodness in her heart and he just goes lol jk and kills her.

You first battle to the boss room, ready for yet another boss to jump on you the second you walk in but instead there's a freakishly tall girl holding a Scythe wearing no shoes being really polite to you showing zero aggression in her speech or posture despite her holding a massive ass Scythe. She stops just short of offering you tea and biscuits before giving you the way out. In a game full of everyone and everything trying to kill you, this one solitary girl is just plain nice to you and that hit me really damn hard.

[sub][sub]Priscilla best waifu[/sub][/sub]

Sometimes I end my playthroughs when I go to the Painted World too. My guy just chills with Priscilla forever. It's as close to a "good" ending you could find in this game.

See also Quelaag. You find out that she was just hunting for enough specks of Humanity to ease her deathly ill sister's pain even just a little bit and you just killed her. If you have the Old Witch's Ring you assume Quelaag's identity so she never even knows her sister is dead and the Humanity she's getting is coming from the guy who murdered her sister trying to take over Quelaag's responsibilities. At least that's what I do. I can't just leave her down there y'know?

I agree about Solaire. Fuck The Sun. That guy is fuckin' creepy. I begun to suspect he's stalking you too, he'll just turn up out of nowhere all "oh such a coincidence!" Yeah right. You might be decent in a fight with your "jolly co-operation" but i'm never taking my eyes off you.

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
The fatalities in Mortal Kombat. Sure the fighting game is great but after seeing one of scarlets fatalities I felt kinda sick and had to stop....