When Has a Game Made You Feel Absolutely Terrible? *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Diablo2000 said:
Killing the Maiden of Whatever in the Ballads Questline in Kingdoms of Amalur.

She's of the Fae, one of the beings who are bound by fate and songs, in her particular song she's the villain. She was suposse to fell in love with the King of Summer\Winter Court(Don't remember which), which allowed him to easily trick her and murder her... And she's was going to have none of this crap, so when the game's villains offered the power of the evil god thing in order to free herself from her song, she took it. She first murders a guy who was suppose to have a massive importance to the story, whose main character replace in order to fix the Ballad. The Maiden interactions are kinda of you would expect from a villain "Join me, together we can rule, blablabla.", it was her final moment who was the final piece of the puzzle and made her whole dillema stick in my mind. If the character decides not to say anything to her at the end of the fight with her (After the king coward bail out and made you king\queen so you deal with this shit) she goes out and yell "No, I will be ignored no longer!". That was the moment where the Saw tunes played in my head and everything made sense.
Ending the fight and everyone was like "YAY! Good job getting rid of that awful person!", but I knew she didn't have a choice and when she finally did the protagonist went there and killed her, she was no innocent but was either break free or die, can't really blame her for her choices.

Of course I reloaded after that and didn't killed her. Instead ruled together like BFF's.
I like the fae in KoA:R, shame the rest wasn't as interesting.

I feel sorry for every fae villain in the ballads. Being trapped in a cycle where you repeat the same mistakes over and over again for all eternally, immortal but stuck in place. Can you hate them when they are bound by fate and are literally unable to do or be anything else?

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Dragonbums said:
Balder from Bayonetta 1 very quickly became a highly sympathized character in Bayonetta 2. Like damn nothing went right for the guy no matter how hard he tried.
I would add more to this but I really don't want to spoil anything.
That's not the hard on his luck mafia guy who drives Bayonetta around and gets absolutely zero thanks for the trouble right? The little fat guy who gets his new red car fucking trashed within the first half an hour. She has the decency to look halfway sorry for it for a second though, which is nice.

Yeah I feel bad for that guy, what can he do? Complain to the angel killing witch that she's not compensating him for anything? Good fuckin' luck.

The_Waspman said:
The Wykydtron said:
See also Quelaag. You find out that she was just hunting for enough specks of Humanity to ease her deathly ill sister's pain even just a little bit and you just killed her. If you have the Old Witch's Ring you assume Quelaag's identity so she never even knows her sister is dead and the Humanity she's getting is coming from the guy who murdered her sister trying to take over Quelaag's responsibilities. At least that's what I do. I can't just leave her down there y'know?
While there have been many moments in games where I've felt bad, as a player and as a character, this section of dark souls did make me feel genuinely bad. Having gone to get the Old Witch's Ring so I could talk to Quelaag's sister (is that one Quelaana?) I just feel absolutely terrible when she starts talking about how much pain she's in, and I've just brutally murdered the one who was looking after her. The haunting music doesn't help either.

I took a long break from Dark Souls while I was playing it, and when i came back to it, this was the bonfire I returned to. I was just standing there, trying to remember what the controls were, and I accidentally threw a fireball at her. When she gets hurt, she actually holds herself and starts shivering. Yup, I feel real good about myself...
Yeah i'm quite sure that's Quelaana, if you think it is too then I feel more confident in it.

Also I ALMOST feel sorry for O&S. The fuckin' bullshit boss fight ain't quite forgiven. I wonder how much they really know, do they know that their Princess is long gone and the only thing they are guarding is the illusion of light in Anor Londo.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
The Wykydtron said:
That's not the hard on his luck mafia guy who drives Bayonetta around and gets absolutely zero thanks for the trouble right? The little fat guy who gets his new red car fucking trashed within the first half an hour. She has the decency to look halfway sorry for it for a second though, which is nice.

Yeah I feel bad for that guy, what can he do? Complain to the angel killing witch that she's not compensating him for anything? Good fuckin' luck.
Nah that's Enzo, the kind of deadbeat dad. Can't actually feel sorry for him. If Rodin is anything to go by he likes to make a lot of bets with some high up people. Also it seems that Bayonetta has given him some real killer profits. Not her fault that he spends it all on fancy cars and other bullshit.

Balder though is the final boss of the first game. He came off as a real pompous creep. But by second game they hit you with the feels real hard.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
WhiteFangofWar said:
Some of the Dark Side choices in SWTOR, particularly the option to shock Vette using her slave collar whenever she opens her mouth. Keep it up and don't take off the collar, and you end up with some lines that made me feel like a genuine monster when I saw/heard it. There is the option to give the activator for the collar to a Sith even more prone to using it... but curiosity couldn't beat the ick sense this time. Guess I'm just a big softie.

More recently, a certain party member in Devil Survivor whom is on the edge of committing suicide... that you can give a verbal push over that edge if you're a heartless wretch with no soul curious to see what happens. And she's smiling once you convince her to run to her death. 'Everything... everything's going to be fine, now... thank you...'

You monster.
Geez yes, this. I ended up going Lightside almost entirely for that reason. I'm a bastard, but not a *complete* bastard...

For me:

- Tali's suicide in ME3. I don't think anything in recent gaming memory got to me this way. I literally shut down the game and went online looking for how to avoid it.

- Bioshock Infinite: The whole sequence where Elizabeth is being tortured and you can hear it but can't do anything. It made my feel physically ill and is the main reason why I can't bring myself to replay the game or try the sequel DLC.

- Neverwinter Nights 2: Neeshka getting captured, tortured and brainwashed at the end of the game. It was mostly implied but damn did that get to me.

Essentially:

>> Any game where a helpless character I like is tortured or brutalized and I am powerless to stop it.
>> Any game where I cause the suicide of a character I like.

Madkipz

Apr 25, 2009
I was playing the walking dead part 2 as Clementine and the ending scenes of the final chapter got to me bad.

It really highlights the phrase from Unforgiven.

"It's a hell of a thing, ain't it, killin' a man. You take everything he's got... and everything he's ever gonna have..."

I'd just end it by saying it wasn't really the act of shooting kenny that got to me, but watching the alternate scenes you can have with him if you don't. That's what hurts the most. Because even as flawed as he is, with everything that happened to him, even as a murderer - he's still got a lot of heart left in him.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Yeah i'm quite sure that's Quelaana, if you think it is too then I feel more confident in it.

Also I ALMOST feel sorry for O&S. The fuckin' bullshit boss fight ain't quite forgiven. I wonder how much they really know, do they know that their Princess is long gone and the only thing they are guarding is the illusion of light in Anor Londo.
Well, truth be told, I feel kinda bad for almost all the characters in Dark Souls. For instance...

After freeing Sieglinde (yup, I checked the wiki) and talking to her, I tried my best to make sure her father survived. Screw Solaire, I always found Siegmeyer a far more comforting presence whenever we'd meet. But despite my best efforts, at great personal risk, I might add, it wasn't enough. And I found her weeping on the shore of Ash Lake after she was forced to kill her father after he went hollow

The one character I have NO sympathy for however is Knight Lautrec. Seriously, fuck that guy.

Also, having checked, the fire keeper is Quelaan. Quelana is the one who sells you pyromancies.

ExDeath730

Mar 13, 2012
sageoftruth said:
The Witcher did this for me twice. The first time I played it, I ended up playing a primary role in racial genocide.

The second time, I ended up playing a primary role in racial genocide for the other side. It hurt every time a character called me out for it.

Since almost every decision in the game had some form of negative consequences, I was often feeling terrible for every decision I made.
Just...The right decision at the end of the game is the Witcher path. It's harder since you get to fight both sides, but at the same time you don't participate in any of their bullshit, so at least your hands are "cleaner" at the end of the game.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Wolfenstein: The New Order.
Pretty early on in the game, when you've infiltrated Deathshead's fortress. Like, first mission, before the time skip.
You have to choose one of your companions to be tortured to death. The full scope of it isn't revealed until the end of the game.
But making the choice made me feel terrible. First time, I refused to choose, and everyone died. Second time, I chose Fergus.
What makes it even worse is how forgiving he is about it.
Oh, and to build up to it? At the start of the game, Fergus saves your life after a crash. Does some CPR on you.
The other choice, Wyatt, is just a kid. He saves you from being mauled to death by a panzerhund.

So, you have to pick a seasoned vet that is easy to get along with and saved your life, or a kid that saved your life.
Yeah, I felt bad.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Katherine Kerensky said:
Wolfenstein: The New Order.
Pretty early on in the game, when you've infiltrated Deathshead's fortress. Like, first mission, before the time skip.
You have to choose one of your companions to be tortured to death. The full scope of it isn't revealed until the end of the game.
But making the choice made me feel terrible. First time, I refused to choose, and everyone died. Second time, I chose Fergus.
What makes it even worse is how forgiving he is about it.
Oh, and to build up to it? At the start of the game, Fergus saves your life after a crash. Does some CPR on you.
The other choice, Wyatt, is just a kid. He saves you from being mauled to death by a panzerhund.

So, you have to pick a seasoned vet that is easy to get along with and saved your life, or a kid that saved your life.
Yeah, I felt bad.
And that's not even the worst of it, either. The one who survives will blame you for the death of the other one. Not to mention what happens at the end.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
well i played the start of Always Sometimes Monsters and it made me feel sad with the protagonist's struggle i had to put it down after about an hour i am not use to feeling and especially not feeling sad so it was quite distressing and even thinking back about it makes me a little sad

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
Diablo 3.

It made me hate playing a game. And hate it long after playing it and putting it down.

No game ever did that to me before. If I didn't feel like playing a game, I'd just leave it be and not give it another thought. But this game... This game... I'm still angry with myself. Especially after I got the expansion, being told that everything was better.

It was different, but not better.

It was a case of doing the same thing over and over, with little results being shown, and little effort being done, while deluding myself that I was having fun or achieving something. And hearing from the developers I always got the sense that they were always having more fun than the players, at the players' EXPENSE, in every sense of the word.

I'm going to play Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate now.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
LifeCharacter said:
The Wykydtron said:
The_Waspman said:
Well, truth be told, I feel kinda bad for almost all the characters in Dark Souls...

Also, having checked, the fire keeper is Quelaan. Quelana is the one who sells you pyromancies.
Quelaag's sister doesn't have a name, she's just called the Fair Lady by her followers who worship her as spider-Jesus for curing the people of Blighttown of their blight.

For my contribution is someone related to her, Knight Kirk. He repeatedly invades you, and, if you manage to kill him each time you find his body near the Fair Lady, at which point you realize that, just like you, he probably killed Quelaag and found her sister and tried to ease her pain. It's especially sad if you signed up with the Chaos Servants for the exact same reason, because not only did you kill someone trying to do the same thing as you, but you just doomed his Fair Lady to both continued pain and her "sister" just vanishing one day never to return.
Noob, should have tried grinding for it with rats like the rest of us.
I kid, the game it's pretty good in letting you know that you are horrible person. Quelaag, Kirk, Ceaseless Discharger, Priscilla, even killing Gwyn in it's "hollow" form of a once god makes you feel like a true dick.

13e thr33

Apr 22, 2011
Z of the Na said:
One of the "final bosses" of South Park: The Stick of Truth really came across to me as in bad taste. Previously and in more recent times, Trey Parker and Matt Stone have avoided mentioning Chef in any way shape, or form since Isaac Hayes departed the show and his unfortunate death. Having to "kill" Chef (albeit a Nazi zombie, but I digress) just felt, I don't know...wrong.

Even for South Park, I found that to be a bit much. I felt like crap after that.
They actually spoofed the incident and killed chief during his quiting way back in March 22, 2006, they NEVER avoided talking about it, you just missed the episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chef_%28South_Park%29

Scroll down to return of chief for all the appearances after his leaving and death.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I had to have a quick cool off after the first boss in God of War 3! The one which ends in a button sequnce as you beat the living crap out of Posiedon... which results in a particular press of the twin sticks causing Kratos to make the same action in a POV sequence, but sticking his thumbs into Posiedon's eyes!

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
ProfMcStevie said:
How does any game make you feel bad if it gave you no choice, I just disconnect and do what I gotta do. Evil out of choice with no pressure is when I feel bad, even then I have to be aware that my actions have real consequences in this game, else I feel tricked and manipulated.
Honestly, that sounds really immature. Are you saying that you only feel bad about something if you were given the choice about doing it? That seems like a really fucked up way to see life.

OT: Besides the nominal Spec Ops which so many people said already, my entry has to be in Fallout New Vegas, having to kill Mr. House on the NCR path.

All the other "morally grey" NCR-alligned quests have alternatives. You can make the Great Khans withdrawl (or allign with the NCR if you kill Papa Khan), you can ally the NCR with the Brotherhood... yet when it comes to Mr. House, there's no choice. Either kill him or no more NCR.
Going through the Fallout wiki made me feel even worse, because there's a note, unused in the actual game, in which the details of a House-approved Strip annexation is described, meant there once was that option, and got removed before the game shipped.

Normally this wouldn't affect me much, but I love to hardcore-roleplay, and I was roleplaying as an idealistic boy, with a very clear cut sense of morals. And being forced to kill a (mostly) defenseless old man just to please a bloodthirsty psychopath of a General, especially when people like Croker and Hsu could easily arrange negotiations if the Courier made the first step... it made my character confront his own morals and actions, and felt much closer to me as a result.

DocJ

What am I doing here?
Jun 3, 2014
TellTale games. In general. Anyone who has played one should know what I mean. They give you some very hard choices, especially if you're like me and are the type of person to get into character and roleplay. I felt truly terrible in some of those games, that's why I love them. I am a sucker for good story driven games like those, and when they make you choose instead of someone's death be railroaded...To look back and realize you could have done something else to change the situation...It's absolutely great.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
I can't really say a game has made me feel bad, but I recommend Alpha Protocol and an "evil" playthrough for people that want to experience the life of a complete psychopath. It is rather chilling, to say the least.

Good, if a bit buggy and under-developed, game.

The Spec Ops the Line scene didn't really make me feel all that much, to be honest.
And the hallucinations after that took me completely out of the experience. Why, oh, why must Hollywood and Video Game always resort to the cliché of insanely vivid hallucinations? Subtlety, do you know it? Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway was equally absurd. And from what I hear, Call of Duty Black Ops is just as dumb. I really, really hate this narrative device for it's overuse. Can someone be crazy without hallucinations? You know, just once?

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
JamesStone said:
ProfMcStevie said:
How does any game make you feel bad if it gave you no choice, I just disconnect and do what I gotta do. Evil out of choice with no pressure is when I feel bad, even then I have to be aware that my actions have real consequences in this game, else I feel tricked and manipulated.
Honestly, that sounds really immature. Are you saying that you only feel bad about something if you were given the choice about doing it? That seems like a really fucked up way to see life.
SHOULD I feel bad about something I really had no choice to do? It MAY upset me or others but I'm not gonna go lamenting it, "what have I done" sorta thing. If there is no other way there is no other way, feeling bad about something that had no alternative just seems really pointless.