When is the last time you used your CD/DVD/whatever-ROM drive?

burhanr

Jun 7, 2011
Well, when?

I mean,
-Games are pretty cheap in steam, and you dont have to swap the cd if you want to switch games. Also.. *cough file hosting websites have a pretty good download speed these days, if you know what i mean.
-Most softwares that you really need to use are now available from/on the internet(google docs, skype).
-People who buy music (hah, thats a good one), would most likely bought it from itunes. LOL at popping an album cd just to hear it.
-[moar generic statement on how cd/dvd/whatever-rom drive is obsolete]

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
burhanr said:
Well, when?

I mean,
-Games are pretty cheap in steam, and you dont have to swap the cd if you want to switch games. Also.. *cough file hosting websites have a pretty good download speed these days, if you know what i mean.
-Most softwares that you really need to use are now available from/on the internet(google docs, skype).
-People who buy music (hah, thats a good one), would most likely bought it from itunes. LOL at popping an album cd just to hear it.
We do not tollerate pirates on the escapist.

Apr 28, 2008
Quite a bit. Since retail PC games like to only start with the DVD in the drive. Because the game I bought might turn into a pirated version, I guess. I don't know.

navyjeff

Legacy
Dec 2, 2010
Country
United States
Yesterday. Stupid Hauppauge WinTV software CD check...

Apr 28, 2008
kayisking said:
burhanr said:
Well, when?

I mean,
How is he a pirate? He's just making a joke about people not buying CD's, and says most just use iTunes.

All the other stuff he mentioned are legitimate things.

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
I have a very thin and poor Internet connection. I still rely on hard media for the most part. There was a radio programme asking whether anyone still has a CD collection. I am just organising my C90 tapes ready to throw them out. My CD collection is still large. And I still use VHS.

I suspect I am a little behind the curve. Just my age I suppose.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
Irridium said:
kayisking said:
burhanr said:
Well, when?

I mean,
How is he a pirate? He's just making a joke about people not buying CD's, and says most just use iTunes.

I'm talking about the "file-hosting sites" that he mentions.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
arggh a priate we do not like you and your kin here (well some people do)

OT: Yay for download caps I usally buy retail games so yea right around yesterday
and I had to install all the pokemon series onto my computer by disc

.... Im still angry about the priate thing

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i buy most of my games, but only use the cd once to install the game and register it on steam.

Apr 28, 2008
kayisking said:
Irridium said:
kayisking said:
burhanr said:
Well, when?

I mean,

I'm talking about the "file-hosting sites" that he mentions.
Oh yeah. Must have missed that...

Well in that case, yeah, screw you pirate.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Shymer said:
I have a very thin and poor Internet connection. I still rely on hard media for the most part. There was a radio programme asking whether anyone still has a CD collection. I am just organising my C90 tapes ready to throw them out. My CD collection is still large. And I still use VHS.

I suspect I am a little behind the curve. Just my age I suppose.
I personally liked vhs alot better never broke as easily as dvds but they stopped making them so I had to move on

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I use CD/DVDs regularly, I still have several games on CD like Oblivion, my car plays CDs, and I burn movies a lot.

I don't think the guys a pirate, he's just making a joke.

gCrusher

Mar 17, 2011
When BRINK came out for PC. Tried installing it via the DVD, but it kept spinning up and then stopping, continuously. I tested another DVD I had lying around, Fallout 3, worked fine. Cleaned the disk, did everything I could think of, still no good.

Thankfully there was a code in the case for the Steam download, so I did that.

I still like BRINK.

HooterNanny

May 19, 2010
I would not use CDs and DVDs if I could, but stupid download caps limit my ability to download loads of games/films/music. I bought loads of games today in the Steam Summer sale, but I have to download them like, 2 weeks apart because of donload limits.

Although recently I burned a CD to my itunes library, and I played Lego Racers 2 a few days ago from a CD (Hooray nostalgia!)