When is the last time you used your CD/DVD/whatever-ROM drive?

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Yesterday, I have a newly upgraded computer (did myself) and have blu ray drives so I can watch blu rays on my PC .

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
I still have a bunch of games that I bought a couple of years ago in DVD and CD format. I still play Fable: The Lost Chapters for example.

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
Today. I got a physichal copy of Jade Empire at a very low price and I installed it. And I also have a large CD collection(I just like to have CDs).

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
burhanr said:
Well, when?
A week or two ago, when I watched a recently purchased Doctor Who DVD.

burhanr said:
I mean,
-Games are pretty cheap in steam, and you dont have to swap the cd if you want to switch games. Also.. *cough file hosting websites have a pretty good download speed these days, if you know what i mean.
The Steam store is good for its special offers and older games, but new games are usually cheaper when purchased in retail. That said, if the game is still a Steamworks game, I'll likely never put the disc in the drive, since installing through my Internet connection can sometimes be the faster option. For non-Steamworks games, I'll obviously use the disc.

I don't pirate games.

burhanr said:
-Most softwares that you really need to use are now available from/on the internet(google docs, skype).
This is true. Most of my software purchases are made online, with digital distribution, and most of the software I use is some sort of freeware.

burhanr said:
-People who buy music (hah, thats a good one), would most likely bought it from itunes. LOL at popping an album cd just to hear it.
When I buy music, it's usually a full (physical) album from one of my favorite artists. That said, I've been purchasing a song here and there through Bandcamp recently. I'm not touching iTunes, out of fear that I'll catch some sort of Apple infection.

EDIT: I don't pop a CD in to listen to it, though. I pop it in to rip the songs to my harddrive, so I can shelf the disc until I need to re-rip the songs for some reason or another.

burhanr said:
-[moar generic statement on how cd/dvd/whatever-rom drive is obsolete]
DVD+Rs are excellent for backing up files, since magnetic storage isn't as safe. I'd like for Blu-ray discs to get cheaper, though, since they'd be a lot more practical.

SFMB

May 13, 2009
When I got my new rig and installed Windows 7 on it. The Dvd-drive, in my opinion, is a relic. It would be so much easier to just toss it and use USB-sticks, or such, as storage- and installation devises.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Must have been like... a month ago, when I installed the drivers for my EZcap so I could record from the PS2.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I've been using NoCDs since Diablo 2. Did you know if you used the NoCD the death animation from diablo, mephisto and baal instantly loaded? That gives you a few frames head start on clicking all the yummy lewt.

So I use the cd drive to install the game and then I lose it. But it has been a while with steam being so convenient.

Lord Kodous

Feb 24, 2009
A few weeks ago when I was playin Command and Conquer: Generals: Zero Hour on my laptop. If my computer crashes again or I, for some reason get a new one, yeah right, I'll put my music collection on it disc by disc.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
Last time I wanted to play some Borderlands. Fucking makes me insert the dvd every single time. I'm all for legally purchased videogames, but I'm still gonna crack the shit out of it after I've bought it when games pull stuff like this.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
A couple weeks ago when I installed The Witcher 2. Oh, yeah, and a couple hours ago when I bought another Ranma ½ boxed set and ripped it to my media server so I could put the discs away safe.

Araxiel_1911

Jun 30, 2011
burhanr said:
oh er.. i have played and am still playing pirated games (omg, ban, hate, ban?).
i do not condone it in any way, nor that i am proud of it.
"I'm attracted to little boys and like to touch them. I do not condone it in any way, nor am I proud of it. I really don't see a problem here"
Because you don't condemn it, it makes it ok? Great logic.

burhanr said:
also i have recently started to respect the developers(who deserves it) more and got a job, and bought portal 2 and some other discounted decent games on steam.
games like human revolution, mass effect 3 and skyrim is on my buy list now.
"I promise you officer, I will not drive to fast the next time. And I will pay attention on the streetlights in the future."

OT: Yesterday for Mass Effect 2. And I still buy Albums, lot of times online though. I then rip them on my pc so I can listen to them whenever I want or put them on my phone. And I'm not using iTunes. I'm not using anything Apple related.
FYI: I've got a BluRay drive

Frenger

May 31, 2009
CD-rom. Yesterday, I installed KOTOR for the billionth time.

DVD. Ever other day.

Blu-ray. Don't own one, *if* need to get a new player, I probably invest in one, or if I get an PS3.

Floppy - 1999.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
A few months ago with Fallout New Vegas, it was £17 where I found it in comparison to the £30 i would've spent on steam to get it.