When is the last time you used your CD/DVD/whatever-ROM drive?

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Yeah, On-line like steam are great, but they are not quite enough to have me replacing my optical drive yet. Though it is a USB blu-ray drive so it is already not quite in my PC any more. But that's so I can get Blu-Ray on all the PC's in my house by just moving it around.

Just brought Crysis 2 today on CD, not available on Steam....

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Far too often with the number of games I have that still want the CD reassurance. If I were a pirate I'd have cracked the cd bit long ago. But no, I'm a paying customer so I have to dig out the game disk every time I want to play. I feel like some ne'er do well trafficking those sites that just have the unofficial no-cd patches to avoid this.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
I built a $3000 gaming rig... it does not have a DVD drive in it what so ever.

So what does that tell you?

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I actually own some older games (like RA2 and GTA VC) that still require a CD drive to function I also buy some steam games on disc for a quick installation.
as for music I use youtube.
also I don,t think the CD/DVD/BR medium is going extinct anytime soon unlike floppies CD,s recently got a major advancement in the form of BR,s (storing up to 50GB of information)

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Dagnius said:
I used my CD ROM just last night to install Team Fortress 2 since everyone's all over it being Free now. I bought it with Orange Box a long while back. It sure beats the extra couple of days downloading it through my rock & string internet connection. Now all I have to worry about is getting past Steam freezing up and the extra few days of updating it!

Also I use my CD ROM all the time for DVDs and Games, though games not so often.
You kind of wasted your time there; the version that came with The Orange Box is so heavily different from the F2P version that you're probably still going to have to download the full ten gigs of data. I'm honestly surprised it even let you use the disc, instead of automatically connecting to Steam and starting the download -- this is one of the reasons I dislike steam, even though I use it. I guess I'm okay with a lifetime rental as long as that rental costs well under $10, which happens frequently during sales.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
linkvegeta said:
kayisking said:
We do not tollerate pirates on the escapist.
You know what? Fuck it! I'm a Pirate and Im proud of it. I don't pirate games because I think pc games are shit and to pirate games on a console is too much trouble. I pirate Movies, not so much anymore because there are not many good movies these past few years. If there is a great movie I will buy it. I mostly pirtae TV shows, I like it and am proud.

If you don't like it you can go screw yourself you moralfags. Im a good person and you can't say otherwise. I am tired of this site and the people who treat small things and make overly big deals about them.

Also Fuck you escapist for cancelling Lisa Foils top 5 show, it was an actually pretty funny show.

PS I dont care.
Ban hammer in 3...2...1... (I did not report you, I'm just letting you know that you will get mod wrath if you don't edit the post.)

Edit: Whoops, double post. Sorry about that.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
well actually a few weeks ago when my mom asked me to burn her some movies for her portable dvd player
in the end it didn't work and she decided to take the laptop and i simply gave her the movies via usb stick

but before that?
i think a year and a half ago when i installed windows

Funky Flump

Jun 24, 2010
I watch a few of my Animes on My PC when I cant be bothered going downstairs to my supah home movie....thingy!

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
rockavitch said:
I'm using it right now to listen to a CD, believe it or not some people like to have a physical copy of what they bought.
This, except I put the CD on my computer and iPod. Always nice to have a physical back-up.

lolmynamewastaken

Jun 9, 2009
im using it right now to watch dollhouse (its on pause) but yeah, my CD drive gets a bit of a beating the amount i use it...

okay, does anyone even know how to do Mu?

Nyquisted

Nov 18, 2010
I was indulging in nostalgia last week and used my CD-ROM drive to play Lego Racers.
Good fun.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Yesterday when I decided to re-install No One Lives Forever. It's really held up well considering it's 11 years old now. I have a copious amount of games on Steam, but they're all games that I had a slight interest in but not enough to pay retail for, so I got them on sale. For games that I really want to play I'll still buy them new in the box, I prefer to have the physical box and disc because as long as I don't break it I'll still be able to play it years from now. Well, as long as computers still use CD/DVD players and the game can be made compatible with the OS.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Dagnius said:
I used my CD ROM just last night to install Team Fortress 2 since everyone's all over it being Free now. I bought it with Orange Box a long while back. It sure beats the extra couple of days downloading it through my rock & string internet connection. Now all I have to worry about is getting past Steam freezing up and the extra few days of updating it!

Also I use my CD ROM all the time for DVDs and Games, though games not so often.
You kind of wasted your time there; the version that came with The Orange Box is so heavily different from the F2P version that you're probably still going to have to download the full ten gigs of data. I'm honestly surprised it even let you use the disc, instead of automatically connecting to Steam and starting the download -- this is one of the reasons I dislike steam, even though I use it. I guess I'm okay with a lifetime rental as long as that rental costs well under $10, which happens frequently during sales.
it,s because that data for the game is mostly present on the disc it only has to update it after installation instead of downloading it from the Valve server.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
henritje said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Dagnius said:

it,s because that data for the game is mostly present on the disc it only has to update it after installation instead of downloading it from the Valve server.
The data for the game was mostly present on the disc; there have been so many updates that they could just about get away with calling the current game TF3. Do you have any experience installing TF2 from disc? Because I don't, but everything I've read about it says the update is just as big as the download would have been without the disc.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
A few weeks ago, when I watched a TV series DVD while the PS3 was installing ANOTHER FUCKING FIRMWARE UPDATE! *ahem* excuse me.

I still have a few PC games on disc, but I don't play them very much since my shit laptop is prone to overheating and my coolpad is busted. I'll probably play KotOR 2 when I get a new coolpad, since the Restoration mod is up. And that's on CD, not even DVD!

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
henritje said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Dagnius said:

The data for the game was mostly present on the disc; there have been so many updates that they could just about get away with calling the current game TF3. Do you have any experience installing TF2 from disc? Because I don't, but everything I've read about it says the update is just as big as the download would have been without the disc.
I only installed it from disc once (before all the updates) I threw the discs out afterwards because it was bound to my account (I thought that turned the discs useless).
I currently keep them for easy installation when I switch computers.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
kayisking said:
I DID NOT SAY THAT!!! IT WAS THE OP!!!
Oooh, quote fail. Hah, I guess that's what I get for multitasking. My mistake. *fixes*
It's not a problem. I was just scared I was being accused of saying something that I did not actually say.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
I still use mine. If it's a band I like then I will buy the hard copy of the album. That and I use it to play Age of Empires.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Only a couple of times in the last few years, and only then to install games. I insist on getting no-cd cracks for games that try and make you keep the disk in just to play, without actually reading for them; that practice just wears down the hardware and slows my boot time (due to a BIOS bug always checking the disk drive first), and as long as I'm loaning the disk to anyone else there's not even the hint of there being an issue.

Rarely use it to watch films or anything else, and all my music's in soft format, so generally it just sits there being quiet :3